• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field jacket trilemma

Other things being equal, what is best?

• (1) Issued, well-worn army surplus jacket.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • (2) Unissued, authentic army jacket / repro of past uniform.

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • (3) Civilian jacket inspired by army design, with artificial 'worn in' effect.

Votes: 20 52.6%

• Total voters

bertie

Reaction score
I have a Barbour Tokito collab and it fits so slim I can't even wear a sweater underneath. Regular Barbours tend to fit a little large but despite some Internet pics I suspect fitting a jacket underneath would require sizing up.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like that Barbour x Tokihito version. prefer something with a little different detailing or fabric that gets away from being completely retro or just boring.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
hey radicaldog picture #2 is not a field jacket.
its a fairly close repo of a parachute uniform jacket.
i was in the 82nd airborne.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hey radicaldog picture #2 is not a field jacket.
its a fairly close repo of a parachute uniform jacket.
i was in the 82nd airborne.

True. It's the M-42 I think, part of the jump suit used at D-Day etc. But I don't see how it's conceptually different from a field jacket, since it's not the same thing as the parachute smock used by, e.g., the British army.

Apollotrader

Reaction score
Barbour, Musto and my current favorite (looks only not performance) is this Orvis Ultimate Travel, I would never wear it shooting.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Back before the Army did away with the M-65 people were made fun of for wearing them.

That is all I have to contribute to this thread.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I rather like this (Paul Smith):

I've come to the conclusion that I want a ghillie collar and angled pockets.

The only problem with current civilian field coats is that they follow the short jacket trend, so they appear a bit out of proportion -- the drawstring sits too high and the jacket falls too short. That would be an argument for sticking to an old military pattern, I guess.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting. Did they make fun of M-65 people who served or of those who didn't? (Genuine question!)

Only Soldiers making fun of Soldiers and this was the ACU field jacket. I don't know exactly why people mocked them but we had one guy that was dubbed Field Jacket Dale after wearing his once and the nickname never went away. I'd like to think that it was a subconscious reaction to taking the classic field jacket and putting this awful camo pattern on it.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads