• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite plain white t-shirt?

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I got some of their t-shirts at Marshalls or something and they are pretty bleh. They shrink a bit but the fabric isn't stretchy, and I should have sized down. They are not short, but not as long as some. At least the collars are okay though.

J, what do you recommend for undershirts? My oldnavy undershirts are like that too. After couple of washes, the collars no longer hold shape. It's no big deal since I wear a sweater or something over the undershirt. It's during the summer that I'm worried!

Basically I'm looking for the most reasonably priced undershirts with strong collar support. Hanes claim to have something like that, but I have no experience with them.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alterion
Uniqlo pima cotton white t-shirts, they feel real nice.

Are those undershirts or regular t-shirts? I saw them for sale when I was in NYC, but I decided not to buy them since I wasn't sure if they were undershirts or not. Also I stocked up on Old Navy undershirts and thought maybe I'll get them after I wear out what I have.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wish I knew man, I'm reading this thread hoping to find salvation as well. I've tried Hanes, which have crap collars, CKs which have non stretchy fabric, RLPolo which have crap collars but are otherwise great, Joseph Abboud black v-necks which are pretty nice but since I have to size down the sleeves are very short, Perry Ellis which were quite good but I've beaten them to death now (and should have sized down)... I used to have black Jockey undershirts and I liked them a lot - I wonder if they are still okay. Also Uniqlo charcoal cotton/coolmax-ish(?) that stretched wider, have very short sleeves and started coming apart at the seams.

It seems like I have to size down in any undershirt now since apparently people like them loose. I don't like them loose at all. They should be basically as tight as possible without binding movement.

What I really want to get for summer undershirts are some v-neck Under Armour. I love my crewnecks but I don't want them to show under other shirts worn open. I'm hoping I can find some v-necks in white with a white logo. In this vein I got some CK 'tech' coolmax undershirts a few years back and they have worked quite well. They are crews but the neck is big enough that if you tuck them in tight they don't show with the first button undone...

The quest continues....

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I wish I knew man, I'm reading this thread hoping to find salvation as well. I've tried Hanes, which have crap collars, CKs which have non stretchy fabric, RLPolo which have crap collars but are otherwise great, Joseph Abboud black v-necks which are pretty nice but since I have to size down the sleeves are very short, Perry Ellis which were quite good but I've beaten them to death now (and should have sized down)... I used to have black Jockey undershirts and I liked them a lot - I wonder if they are still okay. Also Uniqlo charcoal cotton/coolmax-ish(?) that stretched wider, have very short sleeves and started coming apart at the seams.

It seems like I have to size down in any undershirt now since apparently people like them loose. I don't like them loose at all. They should be basically as tight as possible without binding movement.

What I really want to get for summer undershirts are some v-neck Under Armour. I love my crewnecks but I don't want them to show under other shirts worn open. I'm hoping I can find some v-necks in white with a white logo. In this vein I got some CK 'tech' coolmax undershirts a few years back and they have worked quite well. They are crews but the neck is big enough that if you tuck them in tight they don't show with the first button undone...

The quest continues....

Have you tried the Hanes with what they called "reinforced collars"? It seems like a marketing gimmick to me, but I figure someone may have tried it here. My mom told me that if I iron my shirts then the collar will go back to normal, but it's a hassle considering how many shirts I change in a week.

I would probably try CK undershirts if it wasn't so expensive to begin with. Base on what you have just said, it doesn't seem like an experiement that I would want to try.

I too like fitted undershirts. The oldnavy ones that I got are fairly fitted, but not as skin tight as I want. I'm not complaining too much as it cost me about $4.50 CAD per shirt when I bought them.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I plan to find these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...&creative=9325

This should be perfect for summer. These things keep you cold. If/when I get one I will report back.

No, I haven't tried the Hanes reinforced ones. But their cotton is pretty crap anyway. I think I'll try to find some that are a little better overall and try to take better care of them. Now that I don't use anti-perspirant they should last a lot longer (no more yellow gross pits).

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I plan to find these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...&creative=9325 This should be perfect for summer. These things keep you cold. If/when I get one I will report back. No, I haven't tried the Hanes reinforced ones. But their cotton is pretty crap anyway. I think I'll try to find some that are a little better overall and try to take better care of them. Now that I don't use anti-perspirant they should last a lot longer (no more yellow gross pits).
J, at $25 USD per shirt, it's going to be expensive to maintain a two week load worth of shirts! How can you take better care of your shirts? Don't you put it into the washer as soon as it's dirty? I never use anti-perspirant so I'm not worried about yellow pits. I heard the aluminum isn't good for the body so I only use deodorant.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy two weeks' worth of the UA shirts. I'd reserve them for really hot days. As for the other ones, yeah, I'd just try not to thrash them as much as I do, and clean them sooner I guess. Mainly, avoiding the aluminum would be the most important thing.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I wouldn't buy two weeks' worth of the UA shirts. I'd reserve them for really hot days. As for the other ones, yeah, I'd just try not to thrash them as much as I do, and clean them sooner I guess. Mainly, avoiding the aluminum would be the most important thing.

You don't wash your undershirts after every wear? Isn't that kind of gross? At the end of my day, my shirt smells a little bad and I would have to change it unless I want people to notice it the next day.

Ahaz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
CKs which have non stretchy fabric,

Are you sure you tried the pima cotton one? They make them in several fabrics, but my pima CK shirt is fairly stretchy. Not UA lyrca stretchy, but pretty stretchy for a cotton shirt.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahaz
Are you sure you tried the pima cotton one? They make them in several fabrics, but my pima CK shirt is fairly stretchy. Not UA lyrca stretchy, but pretty stretchy for a cotton shirt.
No, I didn't try the pima ones. Maybe I will see if I can find some.

Ahaz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
No, I didn't try the pima ones. Maybe I will see if I can find some.

I don't know how big you are, but for me at 5' 11" and 135, they're not skinny enough to be undershirts. Which is great for me, because I don't wear undershirts, and I like to wear plain tees the majority of the time I'm out of my work wear.

socaldodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alterion
Uniqlo pima cotton white t-shirts, they feel real nice.

I'm in LA. Where can I buy some Uniqlo Pima White Tees locally or online? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

breakfasteatre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
White T Guide:
1. Go to Foot Locker or some similar store
2. Purchase Big White Tee (Size up 3-4 sizes)
3. Go outside, take your old Big white tee off and throw it in the trash, then put your fresh new Big White Tee on
4. Repeat the next day

when i was on niketalk in the early 2000's, half of general were white tshirt posts.

if you want a good tshirt discussion, head on over there, im sure there are older posters who would like to gab for hours over AAA vs Hanes Beefy

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dso
I've been lately wearing Kirkland white T's from Costco. Pack of 5 I think is like 15. They fit a little slim and they haven't lost the original shape compared to American Apparel which usually seems to end up short and wide. The Kirklands also are a little thicker than other undershirts and they have aegis, and antimicrobial treatment.

I agree w/ this. I've tried AA 50/50, Jockey, CK, Hanes, and Polo. Liked the feel of AA and fit of CK. Costco's are cheap, slim, hardy, have a snug neck, and medium length arms. My girfriend likes the look of them w/ jeans. They are thick though, so I tend to wear my dad's old, sheer 50/50's from Woolworths in the summer. People have mentioned these as vintage. Does anyone know a current manufacturer of 50/50s, other than AA? I agree that they're "inconsistent" and relatively expensive.
I bought some 50/50 wife-beaters by Stanfield's from Hudson Bay in Toronto a few years back. Should have bought the whole undershirts, etc.

Almost forgot. I LOVE a Patagonia silkweight T I bought about 12 years ago--the first thing I pack any time of the year.

proncis

Reaction score
Does anyone know how Alternative Apparel's tees fit? Wanted to check some out, but don't know how they fit. In most every tee I'm a large, but in American Apparel I'm an XL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads