• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fav coffee brands and roasts?

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite coffee is my home roast. Freshly roasted coffee beans are essential, IMO, to a great cup. If you're buying coffee, I recomment trying a local roasting companies that buy good beans (not all do), or a chain (like Peet's) that is particular about it coffee freshness and bean quality.

If you're looking to buy espresso I recommend:
- Malabar Gold, sold through retailers like www.wholelattelove.com
- Gustav Crema Blend, sold via Cafe Umbria. I've met the owner, he started Torrefazioni and got out after it was sold because of the decline (in his opion) of the coffee. http://www.caffeumbria.com/our_blends.html.

If you're making espresso I must recommend a good machine and a good grinder. Unfortuantely both are expensive but, IMO, sound investments. Most entry level espresso makers make 'espresso strength coffee' but cannot make true 'espresso.'

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who are your favorite green beans suppliers Girardian? I usually buy from Sweet Maria's. Currently waiting for 9 lbs shipment from Burman Coffee.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Has anyone picked up Intelligentsia through the mail? I can't find it locally but I'm hesitant to mail order as it would work out to about $16 per pound. I don't know if it's that good.

aarghh

Reaction score
I roast my own coffee too - I use an iRoast 2 which I have managed to figure out a few profiles for. I get my green beans from Sweet Maria's like Dmax.

I move between french press and espresso for my coffee, based on weather and other parameters. I have a Rancilio Silvia for the espresso, and a Cunill Tranquilio grinder. I want a Quickmill Anita and a Mazzer Mini.

Leroy Brown

Reaction score
Great coffee roasted to order and all proceeds go to funding medical care and clinics in Central America, Cuba, etc...

http://www.fonsecacoffee.com/aboutus.htm

I use the Organic or Dark Esspresso with a Gaggia espresso machine and the Fair Trade Mexican for drip makers. Great stuff and an excellent value if you buy 5 lbs at a wack. With shipping < $8.00 per lb.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leroy Brown
Great coffee roasted to order and all proceeds go to funding medical care and clinics in Central America, Cuba, etc...

http://www.fonsecacoffee.com/aboutus.htm

I use the Organic or Dark Esspresso with a Gaggia espresso machine and the Fair Trade Mexican for drip makers. Great stuff and an excellent value if you buy 5 lbs at a wack. With shipping < $8.00 per lb.

I'm going to give this a shot. Pun intended.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by carlhuber
McDonald's now serving lattes, etc...

teacha.gif
Marketing 101

The pimply faced kids can't even make the burgers right any more. How the hell are they going to make a decent latte?
confused.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
The pimply faced kids can't even make the burgers right any more. How the hell are they going to make a decent latte?
confused.gif

They're making espresso too? I thought it was only coffee?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tbone226
Where can I buy one of these?

Originally Posted by ms244
+1 I need a coffee maker

It's a Vietnamese coffee press. I normally brew darker roast coffee with it. It's also best if the coffee is a coarse ground.

You can buy it here. It's also available at most Vietnamese grocery stores and sometimes at general Asian grocery stores. It costs about $5 for the small one or a little bit more for the large one. Remember to pick up some condensed milk if you want an authentic Vietnamese coffee.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Illy Dark Roasted Medium Grind

It's hard to get good coffee around here (we have a nice local chain which serves a decent brew), so I just go with Illy. Meh.
plain.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Has anyone every tried Whole Foods' fresh roasted coffee? I just found out that my local WF will fresh roast beans for you while you shop. The only problem is that they've got about 75 different varieties of coffee and espresso. Suggestions?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would call them and tell them your likes, they will spec out the right roast and verietal for you.
Also, whole foods carries their coffee (at least in Chicago they do).

You really cant go wrong with them Btw.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rambo
Has anyone picked up Intelligentsia through the mail? I can't find it locally but I'm hesitant to mail order as it would work out to about $16 per pound. I don't know if it's that good.

I ordered a pound week before last (Black Cat). It's very good, but the cost is probably not sustainable. And it's not really my preferred style (at least Black Cat is not), and trying to find what I want via trial and error probably isn't sustainable. So I'm going to keep looking for fresh, local options. Actually, there's a decent roaster not far from me that dates its batches, etc.

I use the KitchenAid Pro grinder and the Bodum Granos espresso machine. Not a perfect machine, but it's a semi-auto that makes decent espresso, which is what i need in the morning.

itskub

Reaction score
hey, would anyone mind helping out a newb? my dorm roomate brought a Barista espresso maker, which produces a (double) shot in about 22 secs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jp7GMWiDN...elated&search=
The crema is the lighter,frothy layer on top, correct? When I make the shots, the proportion of the dark amount to the crema is inverse compared to the video (almost no crema at all). And I can definately taste some bitterness. Why is this? I grind tamp in the filter as much as possible..

(Thats all for now, Im not even going ask about frothing milk; something in which I fail terribly
confused.gif
) Thanks!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you 1.) using fresh, and freshly ground, coffee? 2.) and making sure that the porta filter and grouphead are both hot before pulling?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads