• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake it till you make it?

RajunCajun

Reaction score
Screenshot_20220729-120251.png

Thought this post from @dieworkwear IG was pretty funny.

Any funny stories from you guys? I've had this happen a few times. Before I knew about Creed cologne I was at Kitson in Bev Hills and I grabbed a small bottle (b/c I liked the smell....don't think the price was on the box) and took it up to the counter to be checked out. Dude was like, "That'll be $325." I responded surprisingly, "Oh dang.....my bad, I'm not trying to spend $300 bucks on cologne." He was like (while chuckling), "I understand.....you should check out Macy's. They have a large selection of fragrances." I then walked around the store a few times (to not appear like I was totally wasting his time) before I headed out.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1817185

Any funny stories from you guys? I've had this happen a few times. Before I knew about Creed cologne I was at Kitson in Bev Hills and I grabbed a small bottle (b/c I liked the smell....don't think the price was on the box) and took it up to the counter to be checked out. Dude was like, "That'll be $325." I responded surprisingly, "Oh dang.....my bad, I'm not trying to spend $300 bucks on cologne." He was like (while chuckling), "I understand.....you should check out Macy's. They have a large selection of fragrances." I then walked around the store a few times (to not appear like I was totally wasting his time) before I headed out.

I think it’s always ironic when he posts stuff like that considering how much really expensive stuff he owns

RajunCajun

Reaction score
I think it’s always ironic when he posts stuff like that considering how much really expensive stuff he owns

I've actually not seen him so I don't know how deep his closet or his style palette is. Not saying he's not knowledgeable about the menswear industry but it's mostly in theory from my perspective.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've actually not seen him so I don't know how deep his closet or his style palette is. Not saying he's not knowledgeable about the menswear industry but it's mostly in theory from my perspective.

He has commissioned several bespoke suits, jackets, and shoes. People who buy bespoke can surely feel this way. Especially in places like Kiton or brunello cucinelli. You can get high end bespoke for what they sell OTR.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t remember a single time when his attempts at humour have worked for me. In particular I remember a post about wearing a white fleece and looking like a sexy cauliflower that was absolutely tragic in the attempt / desperation to be funny. I’m sure some people find him hilarious. I feel sad for them!

emptym

Reaction score
^

He doesn't hit it out of the park every time, but this is my favorite of D's humorous posts, partly because I've loved the movie since seeing it as a kid. We even had the soundtrack LP and would play it a lot:

I think when I'm surprised by how expensive something is, I'll generally just say, "Wow!" and maybe invite the SA to educate me regarding why it's so expensive.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“I think when I'm surprised by how expensive something is, I'll generally just say, "Wow!" and maybe invite the SA to educate me regarding why it's so expensive.”

You know I think this is a very useful strategy, especially when it comes to cologne which was the subject of @RajunCajun ’s OP. I’m certainly no expert in fragrance but I seem to remember reading ages ago that it was the product with one of the biggest mark-ups out there. Being as it’s 99percent water / alcohol or whatever I’d love for some snooty sales rep to explain to me how come it’s more expensive ounce for ounce than vintage Napoleon brandy or whatever!

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“I think when I'm surprised by how expensive something is, I'll generally just say, "Wow!" and maybe invite the SA to educate me regarding why it's so expensive.”

You know I think this is a very useful strategy, especially when it comes to cologne which was the subject of @RajunCajun ’s OP. I’m certainly no expert in fragrance but I seem to remember reading ages ago that it was the product with one of the biggest mark-ups out there. Being as it’s 99percent water / alcohol or whatever I’d love for some snooty sales rep to explain to me how come it’s more expensive ounce for ounce than vintage Napoleon brandy or whatever!
Very little knowledge about fragrance, but I thought they do a decent amount of R&D to make the smells. That’s not free. The end product maybe cheap, but you have to pay for the expertise.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He has commissioned several bespoke suits, jackets, and shoes. People who buy bespoke can surely feel this way. Especially in places like Kiton or brunello cucinelli. You can get high end bespoke for what they sell OTR.

He also has multiple (numerous?) pieces of leather goods that cost in the mid- to high-four figure range, a collection of fountain pens, numerous pairs of $1,000+ shoes he says he's never even worn, etc.

His attempts to play the "I'm a poor/normal/common consumer" angle are absurd.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He also has multiple (numerous?) pieces of leather goods that cost in the mid- to high-four figure range, a collection of fountain pens, numerous pairs of $1,000+ shoes he says he's never even worn, etc.

His attempts to play the "I'm a poor/normal/common consumer" angle are absurd.
Yes, one may be able to afford expensive things, but one might not want to spend that much on a particular item because it doesn’t make sense for any number of reasons. Value, you already own something similar, poor fit, etc.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I had this occurrence when I visited a travel agents recently to enquire about holidays for a family of four to the Caribbean. The SA spent a few minutes showing me images of a lovely looking resort with amazing kid friendly facilities before telling me the price was $6,000 per night. I mean, wtf. What makes someone think that this is even vaguely within budget for an average man walking in off the street who wasn't wearing a solid gold suit or accompanied by a security detail?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had this occurrence when I visited a travel agents recently to enquire about holidays for a family of four to the Caribbean. The SA spent a few minutes showing me images of a lovely looking resort with amazing kid friendly facilities before telling me the price was $6,000 per night. I mean, wtf. What makes someone think that this is even vaguely within budget for an average man walking in off the street who wasn't wearing a solid gold suit or accompanied by a security detail?

Who goes to a travel agent in 2022? You can find better deals online without the middle man. I am surprised that travel agency even exists at this point.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1817185

As others say, I think Dieworkwear here was actually suggesting he just pretends like he won't get it here rather than pretend that he will get it and doesn't. Nevertheless, I think we've all had this experience.

It wasn't in the context of men's wear, but I remember going to the Crockett and Jones store in NYC when I was waylaid by one of those spa people. They convinced me to go in to try this firming cream and I am like: okay, that sounds fun, sure, let's try it. So he puts on all this stuff and talks to me for 20+ minutes, until as such time that he tells me this oil/cream thing costs $1,200.00 per year.

I don't know why I felt obliged to lie that I "get paid in 3 days, so let me return then and take your card". I should have just said: That is outside my budget for a beauty care product. Best I can do is like, 20 bucks." But I did the whole bullshit that he and I knew and then I left and tossed the business card in the trash.

Oh, I do have a men's wear version of it: I was at the Ludwig Ritter store in Munich a few weeks ago and they were telling me these shoes, with Payless-looking rubber soles, were 700, so I pretended I'd come back. No thanks. Not impressed with anything Ritter is peddling, but especially not at 700 dollars.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Derek walks the walk.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member