• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Factual errors/dumb stuff in movies that really ruin it for you

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i disagree. for the most part, a film is only interesting to the extent that it expresses something about this world. of course this does not apply to science-fiction.

also, if you are to immerse yourself in the film, you want to forget you are watching one, instead of being jolted out of your suspension of disbelief by some glaring inaccuracy.

This is blatantly false:

1) Science fiction can tell you something about our world.

2) The use of narrative and filmaking techniques to manipulate time and space (the materials of cinema) is the whole point of movies. Saying that it automatically disallows "expressing something about this world" is akin to saying non-figurative art can't communicate anything.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Saying that it automatically disallows "expressing something about this world" is akin to saying non-figurative art can't communicate anything.
Generally true, unfortunately
laugh.gif

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
also, when when a mexican speaks english and then suddenly throws in a spanish word like pueblo just because it's a spanish word everyone knows. in real life, you say 'town' or 'village'. there is no reason to say pueblo if you are speaking english.

Thats pretty normal here in South Texas. It's very common to hear people speaking English with Spanish thrown in here and there.

Most military stuff is messed up in the movies & I hate it when they never have to reload the weapons.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is blatantly false: 2) The use of narrative and filmaking techniques to manipulate time and space (the materials of cinema) is the whole point of movies. Saying that it automatically disallows "expressing something about this world" is akin to saying non-figurative art can't communicate anything.
nm misread

Mauby

Reaction score
The boxing scenes in all 6 Rocky movies. (Heavy weights throwing more punches than flyweights, etc.)

Countless movies, where the hero/heroine don't even hold the gun properly, yet have expert marksmanship.

Roger Moore's and Pierce Brosnan's wardrobes as James Bond.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is blatantly false:

1) Science fiction can tell you something about our world.

2) The use of narrative and filmaking techniques to manipulate time and space (the materials of cinema) is the whole point of movies. Saying that it automatically disallows "expressing something about this world" is akin to saying non-figurative art can't communicate anything.

1. you misunderstood my post and it's my fault for bad writing. i didn't mean that science fiction cannot tell us something about our world, only that science fiction obviously does not require facts to be true to our world. in other words, it is, as you say, it's own world. this goes without saying so i should not have mentioned it.

2. of course film has it's narrative techniques, but this thread is about factual inaccuracies, not film methods for manipulating time. of course when a character goes to sleep at night the audience is not expected to wait 8 hours until said character wakes up the next morning for the story to continue, but there are ridiculous errors, (such as the masses praying to the taj mahal which was mentioned earlier,) which lower a film's quality and cannot be said to be necessary.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Captain America is also Human Torch. he's not ******* Captain America, he's the ******* Human Torch. I can't get over this

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
But you're okay with Deadpool being Green Lantern?
hmm...i missed that. are there only 5 actors in Hollywood or something?!

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
Captain America is also Human Torch. he's not ******* Captain America, he's the ******* Human Torch. I can't get over this

This would concern me more if fantastic four was a better movie

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when a character tries to shoot another only to realize that there are no bullets left/the other guy removed the clip beforehand.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back to life.

Watching The Other Guys. The scene whenever Walberg and Ferrel go the accounting firm in New Jersey, they are walking up to it and then the guys in the Range Rover blow it up.

Why wouldn't they wait for them to walk in or get to the front door so it would kill them? They are the only ones who are keen on the actual plans of Ershon.

Dumb movie I know, but whatever.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member