• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exotic Cars on the Street

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh

In addition they had some sort of gyroscope mechanism ( or something like that ) that kept the RR logo in the center cap of the wheel always in the upright position ( as pictured ) . This would be even when driving too. So it appeared that the RR center cap logo was not revolving when the car was driving and always looked like it does in the picture below

That's standard issue on the new RRs. Kinda over the top but I also sorta like it.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
That's standard issue on the new RRs. Kinda over the top but I also sorta like it.
Are you sure? By Standard Issue, do you mean the exact same Auto Couture 24 inch Wheels? The Auto Couture wheels do look high dollar but are definitely kind of over the top! Maybe they work for Hip Hop moguls but I don't see Fortune 500 CEOs with these wheels. BTW Here's a Google picture of a 2011 RR Phantom
Rolls-Royce-Phantom_Coupe_2009_stylesauto_05-600x426.jpg
The wheels look similar but I don't think RR is using Auto Couture wheels specifically. Maybe both Auto Couture and standard RR wheels have that non rotating center cap logo feature.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
the RR caps are weighted at the bottom and spin on bearings so they stay upright like that. A lot of the aftermarket wheels are made to accept the OEM RR centers, like those Auto Couture rims up there.

BTW, I saw the new Ghost last weekend on the street, it is very nice, design-wise. It just doesn't have the size presence of the Phantom though, you can tell the Ghost is based on the 7-series just from the size.
I saw a Phantom yesterday afternoon in traffic, dark maroon. I love that car in this country, where everything on the road is a silver hyundai or equally ****** car; Phantoms cut through the sea like sharks, and here they're inevitably in more unique colors. They make everything on the road around them look like toys.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Do you ever see vintage luxury cars in Korea? That is, '70s era Mercedes, Rolls Royces, etc.

They have a few vintage Mercedes in North Korea which they copied.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
The wheels look similar but I don't think RR is using Auto Couture wheels specifically. Maybe both Auto Couture and standard RR wheels have that non rotating center cap logo feature.

that's what i meant, i'm just a little obtuse. the wheels are aftermarket (thank god) but all new RRs have the weighted center caps.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Do you ever see vintage luxury cars in Korea? That is, '70s era Mercedes, Rolls Royces, etc.

Not at all, I've seen one really clean silver E12 528i on period Alpina wheels, with an ANSA muffler hanging out the center driven by the foreign guy who brought it over obviously; there are a few old timer cars brought over for movie shoots and stuff, and I saw a Phantom VI for sale, but RR's and Bentleys tend to be Silver Spurs and Turbos/Eights. There are always tons of interesting cars brought by embassy/military personnel but I think they've always been barred from selling them to civilians. This place is all brand new money, so it's nothing like Japan, where all good cars go to heaven, but people are getting money here lately, so anything brand new, you see plenty of. Phantoms and Maybachs cost a million here, but you see enough of them to make them not seem rare.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never been able to decide if I like the feature or not.

Attention to detail is one thing, but it basically says "I am wealthy enough to try and defy physics." Very much like the milled-aluminium bonnet; it may well be impressive, but if I wanted impressive I'd have a prancing horse and a helicopter.

Its rather different to the umbrella in the door or the hardwood tables; they say "RR have thought of every detail to make my life better"

As far as I'm concerned ostentatiousness is a private vice, and RR are venturing into dodgy territory by showing off on the outside of their vehicles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads