• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exhaustive belt search

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just have your guy make the strap with a snap close forth buckle so that you can easily swap it out.

- B

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
try the leather goods connection.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
try the leather goods connection.

sfnapolifan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
Hmmm. Any more info on this Suzanne George? All I can find is a yelp review, but it seems to be a glowing one.

April in Paris is an option that I will consider, if I exhaust every other possibility. I think there could be no finer example than what she makes, but $400 is a bit steep for a casual belt that will get worn maybe twice a month at the absolute most.

I'm tempted to do drop by her store tomorrow and see if she could craft something sans buckle, but with her level of quality, that might not be the market she caters to. But, I agree, if she did, it would likely be cheaper than $400.

I just got off the phone with a home town guy, up north who's made two belts for me in the past, out of very thick bridle leather. He is getting a hide in, in the next week or two that is a nice black pebble grain, so I might go that route. Especially since his costs are amazing. It's just harder buying completely sight unseen, especially when it comes to the buckle option. The downside, according to him, is that most pebble grained leather that is destined to become a belt needs to be laminated on top of another solid piece of leather. He is not fond of laminated belts, and prefers to use only full grain hides that are damn near 1/4 inch thick. At the price he's quoting me to make one up, I might have him make the first version using the unlaminated thinner stock, and if I don't like it ( he says it's a bit flimsy for what he considers a belt) then I'll just have him make it again, laminated.

He is dropping a few samples of the leather in the mail in the next week or so, when he gets it, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

who is your guy? how far up north? just belts, other small leather goods? shoes? thanks.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He doesn't have a website, but his business is called Iron Mountain LeatherWorks, in Chico, CA. He stocks a lot of hand made leather goods. I think he has some much nicer quality biker gear and outdoor goods, etc. It's a small shop, but it sounds like he can source a lot of raw materials, that he uses in his custom creations, which keeps me rather optimistic.

He mentioned that the hide he's expecting in, is for use in part, for a custom made briefcase he's making, so that sounds rather promising, as far as him knowing some of the finer details of leather working.

Good point on the buckle attachment Vox. I'll add that on to my request. My local cobbler here in the bay shortens all of my belts for me, for free half the time, because I've had him do so much other work for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads