• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exhaustive belt search

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting nowhere in my ongoing search for a simple yet particular belt. Google is no help. Online stores like J. L. Powell, Trafalgar, Leyva, Worchesterchire, Filston, etc... to no avail.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find a BLACK pebble grained belt? Obviously casual... At least as wide or wider than 1.5 inches, preferably with no contrast stitching and a solid brass buckle, no plating, but at this point, I'd even cut off an ugly buckle if I could find the right leather. Price doesn't really matter, because I'd rather have one that will hold up over time.

Has anyone had any experience with ordering custom made belts with a maker they could recommend?

I damn near choked when Google only showed some lame Nike belt as 90% of its results.

Thanks.

rob

Reaction score
I did a quick google search for "black pebble grain belt" and I found some. Whether or not they are to your liking is another matter. Try it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Pebble_Grain_Belt.jpg

http://www.allenedmonds.com

laugh.gif

- B

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhhh, yeah.. no bueno. I wouldn't have started a thread if I hadn't already tried that.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Those belts naturally look like seconds.

Did you check Paul Stuart or Ben Silver? What about Land's End?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Pebble_Grain_Belt.jpg

http://www.allenedmonds.com

laugh.gif

- B

Now that bad boy is about the closest I've come to finding what I want. No contrast stitching, not a cheap looking lightly embossed pattern. I shall email them to inquire as to the width.

If that came in antique solid brass, I'd be in heaven.

rob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
^^Those belts naturally look like seconds.

Did you check Paul Stuart or Ben Silver? What about Land's End?

I live in Milwaukee, the land of seconds. Shall we expound?

Rob

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The closest I can think of is the C&J version. I know they make the tan with brass, but I think the black is only with silver buckle. Might be worth asking if they can make the black with the brass buckle as a special order considering they seem to have them on hand.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just get someone to make it for you?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ben Silver had some nice stuff, nothing the proper width. Lands End was also a bust.

Yes, the idea of paying someone to make one exactly as I desire would, in my mind, be worth up to $200-250 out of my pocket. But I've no experience with any makers. Hence, I'm turning to the wisdom of the board.

That C&J is sweet, but a tad too narrow.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Martin Dingman has 4 Scotch grain belts available in black, 2 of them are 1 3/8 wide. Unfortunately, none have a solid brass buckle.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Martin Dingman has 4 Scotch grain belts available in black, 2 of them are 1 3/8 wide. Unfortunately, none have a solid brass buckle.

Same problem as the the C&J. I don't get it, it's a casual belt, 1.5 inches shouldn't seem out of the realm of common.

sfnapolifan

Reaction score
you're in san francisco, no? maybe april in paris on clement street or suzanne george the shoemaker in noe valley? belts on april in paris' website start above $400, but that's including a silver buckle. i'd imagine suzanne george would be less expensive. maybe also consider glaser designs--prices seem almost reasonable from their website.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Any more info on this Suzanne George? All I can find is a yelp review, but it seems to be a glowing one.

April in Paris is an option that I will consider, if I exhaust every other possibility. I think there could be no finer example than what she makes, but $400 is a bit steep for a casual belt that will get worn maybe twice a month at the absolute most.

I'm tempted to do drop by her store tomorrow and see if she could craft something sans buckle, but with her level of quality, that might not be the market she caters to. But, I agree, if she did, it would likely be cheaper than $400.

I just got off the phone with a home town guy, up north who's made two belts for me in the past, out of very thick bridle leather. He is getting a hide in, in the next week or two that is a nice black pebble grain, so I might go that route. Especially since his costs are amazing. It's just harder buying completely sight unseen, especially when it comes to the buckle option. The downside, according to him, is that most pebble grained leather that is destined to become a belt needs to be laminated on top of another solid piece of leather. He is not fond of laminated belts, and prefers to use only full grain hides that are damn near 1/4 inch thick. At the price he's quoting me to make one up, I might have him make the first version using the unlaminated thinner stock, and if I don't like it ( he says it's a bit flimsy for what he considers a belt) then I'll just have him make it again, laminated.

He is dropping a few samples of the leather in the mail in the next week or so, when he gets it, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads