• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excel on a Mac.

ljs

Reaction score
You cant seriously use Excel for mac and I would love to see your financial modeling skills on Excel mac performed without any shortcuts. I use bootcamp + office 2003 and I dont think there is any other way. Maybe on the latest mbp, Fusion can run office efficiently but this is clearly not the case on my 2007 macbook.

And btw, Metrostyles is right: learn Excel, not Numbers.

flashback

Reaction score
Excel works fine on a mac. I use a PC in the office and a mac at home / on the road, and there is really no difference. I actually prefer the Office 2008 suite on mac to any other version. I really don't believe these geeks saying that the PC version is better, as far as I can tell they are exactly the same. The fact that I like Office 2008 Mac is just a personal preference.

keikun13

Reaction score
I use both and am enrolled in a business program at a major university. Excel on Mac will get you through the easy stuff, but once you get into the more complex things, it won't cut it because it's lacking in some features that the Windows version has (namely statistics packages in my experience). Also, most instructors will only teach you how to use the Windows version of Microsoft products so you'll be on your own trying to figure out what to do on your Mac version (not that it's very hard to locate things, but it can be frustrating sometimes). I would recommend installing Boot Camp (or Parallels) and running Office 2007.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Wait, people actually use Excel for real work?

Excel on Windoze is actually the only legit piece of software that M$ makes.
devil.gif
It's actually very good for what it is and how much it costs.

LuxeStyles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Excel on Windoze is actually the only legit piece of software that M$ makes.
devil.gif
It's actually very good for what it is and how much it costs.

Why do you say M$, when Apple charges a lot more for their products? I guess comparing iWork and Office wont be representative of Apple being the more expensive company. But to even be able to use iWork, you need to spend a hefty amount of a Mac computer.

ljs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LuxeStyles
Where the hell do you download Boot Camp?
No need do download it.
You just need to go into the application / utilities / directory. Then launch the Boot Camp assistant application

You can also type "boot camp" into spotlight

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Excel works just fine on my Mac. I'm not trying to predict the economic armagedon, though, so ymmv

I have used Numbers, Google's online spreadsheet thing and Excel on Mac. I actually prefer Number, but it doesn't play well with Access. No major issues aside from that.

Jay_1989

Reaction score
i have the most recent version + the most recent macbook, i have no issue with any word office programs, including excel

Toad

Reaction score
I've actually used Excel on a Mac before, and it wasn't so bad. In many ways, it was actually the same as the Windows version. I think this was back in the 2004 version.

REguy

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread here.

For those that have used it, what's your take on Excel 2011 for Mac? I just moved from a PC to a Macbook and am concerned about Excel given all the terrible reviews. Apparently, the Mac version doesn't have the data analysis toolpak?! I would really love to sever the PC cord completely, but I needs my Excel.

brown eyes

Reaction score
Office 2011 for Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Lion works just fine.

I made the switch from PC to Mac earlier this year and it was a pretty seamless transition.

Anything you can do on a PC can be done on a Mac.

I don't do anything that involves complex formulas/macros on Excel. But I'm sure it's capable of it. The way to access those features might be a littler different. But for functions like AVG or STD, graphing charts or making tables, it's all there on Excel 2011 for Mac.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads