• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever been a member of a co-op?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether anyone here has ever been a member of a co-op. I'm specifically thinking food, but experiences with others would be good as well.

It seems like a novel concept to me, but the biggest thing that interests me is the possibility of the food being fresher/tasting better. There are a lot of little farms not too far from where I live, and there is a co-op-like organization that has joined them all together. It's all local food, and you just put in your order every week. Then you pick it up a couple days later.

There's also a true co-op in town, but it's apparently vegetarian-vegan based. No meat = not an option.

The most off-putting thing is that there's a membership fee (though it's not much), and the prices seem to be higher. However, I would be willing to pay a little more if the food is better.

So, anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Is it worth the extra money/time?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
REI calls themselves a coop. I get a rebate each year based on how much I spent.

That sums up my experiences. Hope it helps.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
REI calls themselves a coop. I get a rebate each year based on how much I spent.

That sums up my experiences. Hope it helps.

Interesting. I didn't even think about the rebate. I know the power co-ops around here give them, but I wonder if the small food co-ops do. That would be something to consider to offset the higher prices.

Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
did you recently watch king of the hill?

Ha! I have no idea what you're talking about...
wink.gif

That reminds me...now that football season is over I need to change my avatar back to Hank.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
REI calls themselves a coop. I get a rebate each year based on how much I spent. That sums up my experiences. Hope it helps.
MEC is also a coop (Canada's REI equivalent). There is also a grocery/gas chain here called CO-OP here but they are about the most expensive option out there that isn't all about organic/clean, they look and act like a regular grocery store, and I don't think they even do dividend distributions anymore (instead I think they provide additional shares).
did you recently watch king of the hill?
lol8[1].gif

Cavalier

Reaction score
I've shopped at the local co-op before (sans membership) for an additional +8% or something on bill. The food is no better then other specialty stores or markets, though it might provide some socialization/community if you get involved with helping run the place rather then just shop there. Around here, it's super hipster politics trying to get involved in running them though..

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't remember the name, but there was a co-op on Ashby Ave in Berkeley in the late '80s. The food was lousy, the prices not that low, and the shelves were always half bare. A real experience in shopping, Soviet-style.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The food was lousy, the prices not that low, and the shelves were always half bare. A real experience in shopping, Soviet-style.
I did several years ago. My experience was similar so I let my membership expire and stopped going.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
explains it all
smile.gif

That animated organic steak looked delicious!

Originally Posted by Cavalier
I've shopped at the local co-op before (sans membership) for an additional +8% or something on bill. The food is no better then other specialty stores or markets, though it might provide some socialization/community if you get involved with helping run the place rather then just shop there. Around here, it's super hipster politics trying to get involved in running them though..

Originally Posted by Manton
I don't remember the name, but there was a co-op on Ashby Ave in Berkeley in the late '80s. The food was lousy, the prices not that low, and the shelves were always half bare. A real experience in shopping, Soviet-style.

Originally Posted by JayJay
I did several years ago. My experience was similar so I let my membership expire and stopped going.

This is what concerns me. I'm willing to pay a little more for better-tasting food, but I don't have any desire to get into the politics of it all. The idea of getting food that basically comes from the farm to me is intriguing, and I don't mind supporting the local economy if the product is good. I've had some of the locally-grown produce from around here in the past, and it was really outstanding. That being the case, if the food is better quality I'd give it a try, but I certainly don't want to pay more for my food just so I can get involved in the local hippie/hipster scene. The notion of socializing is interesting, but it seems like these types of organizations can come with a lot of baggage.

The co-op-like organization does allow two free orders without paying membership dues. Maybe I'll give that one a try. It's also not a full-on co-op, so I'm hoping that will help to avoid some of the negatives.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you guys are talking about a different kind of co-op. Mr. G is talking about an organization that allows you to order directly from the producers with weekly orders. In some of these, you're also requried to put in a certain amount of work. What you guys are talking about are the grocery store types of co-ops.

I'm a member of my local co-op (grocery store type), but not the other kind. Mine is better than the one Manton describes -- in some ways, it's great, though it's expensive, and the produce can get a little aged looking. Overall I like it, though...and it's where I get most of my specialty malts for brewing (yay beer!).

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I think you guys are talking about a different kind of co-op. Mr. G is talking about an organization that allows you to order directly from the producers with weekly orders. In some of these, you're also requried to put in a certain amount of work. What you guys are talking about are the grocery store types of co-ops.

I'm a member of my local co-op (grocery store type), but not the other kind. Mine is better than the one Manton describes -- in some ways, it's great, though it's expensive, and the produce can get a little aged looking. Overall I like it, though...and it's where I get most of my specialty malts for brewing (yay beer!).

I frequent a grocery store type of co-op as well, but not enough to pay membership. In the spring/summer/fall there is tremendous fresh, local produce.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher

That's exactly what it is. My description probably isn't great, mostly because I really don't know too much about the organizations. I'm familiar with the broad strokes, but I kind of get lost in the nuances.

I've heard similar things about the produce. Something about natural farming not being designed to look pretty. I'm glad to hear something positive said about the concept. I'm leaning toward giving it a try after the holidays.

Originally Posted by ama
I frequent a grocery store type of co-op as well, but not enough to pay membership. In the spring/summer/fall there is tremendous fresh, local produce.

This is what appeals to me. There is a farmer's market that's held here during certain parts of the year, and I've heard great things about it. I'm hoping this will give me the opportunity to tap into some of that.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
That's exactly what it is. My description probably isn't great, mostly because I really don't know too much about the organizations. I'm familiar with the broad strokes, but I kind of get lost in the nuances.
I have an aunt and uncle who host a co-op like this in their garage (that is there contribution). Get ready to eat a lot of veggies!
Originally Posted by MrG
This is what appeals to me. There is a farmer's market that's held here during certain parts of the year, and I've heard great things about it. I'm hoping this will give me the opportunity to tap into some of that.
We have farmers markets too, but the co-op has better hours.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that the fact that it's a co-op really changes anything with regard to the quality of the food. It's just the business structure that they've chosen - to redistribute profits among the members.

I was a member of 2 co-ops before I moved to a different city. The grocery I frequent now is not a co-op. All three places have good selection of local and organic produce. Prices are comparable though the member discount was nice (one place was 3%, the other 10%).

edit: Oh, and I've tried that weekly produce basket thing and it was OK as long as you're flexible and willing to try new things. Sometimes you'd end up with a basket of kale, swiss chard and Jerusalem artichokes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads