• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eternal British style

SIMONTEMPLAR

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After having tried Italian, French, etc etc found that the only style that looks good on me is the traditional English style. I am neither English nor live in England, so finding the right stuff can be really hard.

I would welcome your advice about what should be part of the English nobleman's (not just gentleman's) wardrobe.
I don't care much for bespoke (not that I do not appreciate), I prefer pret-a-porter solutions.

I would be greatful if you guys could recommend online shops where I could find the material I am looking for, or even textbooks and websites on the subject of postwar English fashion.

Thanks and regards,

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
England no longer has Noblemen. At the very best it has a crop of Peers, for whom fashion is of little consequence. Two of our Lords:
lord-mandelson-154821662.jpg
screamingls.jpg
The first is Lord Mandelson possibly our most Machiavellian politician to date. The second is Screaming Lord Sutch, head of the Monster Raving Loony Party.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
England no longer has Noblemen. At the very best it has a crop of Peers, for whom fashion is of little consequence. Two of our Lords:

lord-mandelson-154821662.jpg
screamingls.jpg

The first is Lord Mandelson possibly our most Machiavellian politician to date. The second is Screaming Lord Sutch, head of the Monster Raving Loony Party.

Screaming Lord Sutch is my favourite politician ...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SIMONTEMPLAR
Hi guys,

After having tried Italian, French, etc etc found that the only style that looks good on me is the traditional English style. I am neither English nor live in England, so finding the right stuff can be really hard.

I would welcome your advice about what should be part of the English nobleman's (not just gentleman's) wardrobe.
I don't care much for bespoke (not that I do not appreciate), I prefer pret-a-porter solutions.

I would be greatful if you guys could recommend online shops where I could find the material I am looking for, or even textbooks and websites on the subject of postwar English fashion.

Thanks and regards,

Jesus, Carl...did they fire you?

confused.gif

- B

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Except he's dead, and not really a lord.

He is still my favourite politician ...

Not a lord? Really?

I always thought the Monster raving loony party was just the right wing element of the Tory party...
facepalm.gif

Mr. Tweed

Reaction score
Dear SIMONTEMPLAR,

Although your caps-locked user name and your nobleman reference made me suspect that you are trolling, I decided to take (at least part) of your question seriously. Country clothing has always been the most important part of the English gentleman wardrobe - he certainly likes leisure more than business. Garments made for, or inspired by, equestrianism or game shooting are the staples. Tweed, corduroy, moleskin, tattersalls and brown calf are the materials preferred.

If you would like to know more, and perhaps get some inspiration, you are welcome to visit our country style website. Nobleman or not, could not matter less...

I am also available on facebook if you need some personal advice.

Yours,
Mr. Tweed

SIMONTEMPLAR

Reaction score
Dear Mr Tweed,

Ah thanks. That's just the reply I was hoping for.
Surpised though that you 're in Sweden!

What's wrong with my caps?

Regards,

Mr. Tweed

Reaction score
I am sure you have several nice tweed caps already, I was however referring to you user name all in capital letters...

Best of luck in achieving a style of your own, hopefully with some British country sport inspiration!

Yours,
Mr. Tweed

Oleg

Reaction score
It's as well they noblemen dress so distinctly. It'll make it easier to single them out when the revolution comes. I can hear my fellow citizen sharpening the guillotine as I type.

Mr. Tweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oleg
It's as well they noblemen dress so distinctly. It'll make it easier to single them out when the revolution comes. I can hear my fellow citizen sharpening the guillotine as I type.

Oh, dear! First, they came for the tweed wearers...

Yours,
Mr. Tweed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads