• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Espresso beans

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where do you buy your espresso beans?

I've been getting mine from Carrabassett recently, largely because a place on Nantucket that has fantastic coffee sources theirs there. But for some reason my espresso never comes out like theirs. I like a dark, strong roast. Any suggestions?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Where do you buy your espresso beans?

I've been getting mine from Carrabassett recently, largely because a place on Nantucket that has fantastic coffee sources theirs there. But for some reason my espresso never comes out like theirs. I like a dark, strong roast. Any suggestions?

There are a number of factors that can influence why your coffee doesn't come out like theirs. What kind of machine and grinder are you using? When you receive the beans, how fresh are they and how do you store them?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Fairway.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think galt has it pretty much right. there are good roasters all over america right now. freshness is paramount. Grinder is paramount. Machine is paramount. Brand matters not so much. i get mine from a socal outfit called supreme bean (coffee companies tend to have cute names). they ship only on the days they roast. they package in half-pound bags so it doesn't get stale (i buy 4 pounds at a time and keep them in the freezer). When i'm about halfway through a bag, i adjust my grinder a notch tighter. i use an old gaggia mdf grinder and a rancilio silvia machine ... both more than 15 years old.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them from here: http://www.santeustachioilcaffe.it/en/

Anybody else try them?
kaffeetrinker_2.gif

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favourite is Caffè New York (has got some 5% of Blue Mountain in it). I don't own a espresso machine yet so I don't buy special coffee. Just drink Latte Macchiato - or Espresso. But real, strong one from a good machine (Slayer?
biggrin.gif
). If you like strong roasts your coffee mix should definitely include some Robusta.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like your problem is more with the process than the beans themselves. Here are some general guidelines for pulling good, consistent shots. Keep in mind that you will be limited by how good your machine and grinder are. (As an aside, people who splurge on the machine and skimp out on the grinder are really doing themselves a disservice. The two are equally as important.)
  • Use 18 grams of coffee for a double shot of espresso. Weight is a more accurate measurement than volume since you don't have to worry about how packed the cofee is. If you want to get really precise buy a scale from a weed shop. They generally have the best scales.
  • Tamp the coffee with 30 lbs of pressure. It's important that you tamp evenly. If the coffee isn't level in the portafilter your espresso probably won't drip evenly out of the spouts. This will affect the quality of your shot.
  • Your espresso should begin to drip within 5-7 seconds of pulling the shot
  • Your pour should be done after 20-30 seconds.
The main variable that you need to play around with is the grind level. Your machine, humidity levels, and even temperature changes can affect what the "optimal" grind is. As a general rule, espresso grind is always finer than what you would use for filter coffee. In terms of the beans themselves, obviously fresher is better. The cafe I buy my beans from reccomends using them within 10 days of purchase. Any longer than that and they begin to lose too much flavor - even if frozen or stored in airtight bags. They explained why/how but I don't remember the specifics. Anyways, hope that helps.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axelman 17
I store my beans in the freezer and put them directly into the grinder before brewing. Would I gain substantially more by moving them in small quantities from the freezer (ie a few day's worth) into the frig and then grinding?
coffee geeks go back and forth on the benefits of freezing beans. i find that it works for me. but a half-pound at a time is just fine.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
It sounds like your problem is more with the process than the beans themselves. Here are some general guidelines for pulling good, consistent shots. Keep in mind that you will be limited by how good your machine and grinder are. (As an aside, people who splurge on the machine and skimp out on the grinder are really doing themselves a disservice. The two are equally as important.)
  • Use 18 grams of coffee for a double shot of espresso. Weight is a more accurate measurement than volume since you don't have to worry about how packed the cofee is. If you want to get really precise buy a scale from a weed shop. They generally have the best scales.
  • Tamp the coffee with 30 lbs of pressure. It's important that you tamp evenly. If the coffee isn't level in the portafilter your espresso probably won't drip evenly out of the spouts. This will affect the quality of your shot.
  • Your espresso should begin to drip within 5-7 seconds of pulling the shot
  • Your pour should be done after 20-30 seconds.
The main variable that you need to play around with is the grind level. Your machine, humidity levels, and even temperature changes can affect what the "optimal" grind is. As a general rule, espresso grind is always finer than what you would use for filter coffee. In terms of the beans themselves, obviously fresher is better. The cafe I buy my beans from reccomends using them within 10 days of purchase. Any longer than that and they begin to lose too much flavor - even if frozen or stored in airtight bags. They explained why/how but I don't remember the specifics. Anyways, hope that helps.

Thanks, my grinder is pretty decent. My machine is not. Because of that I've had to go from a double walled portafilter to a single wall. This seems to accelerate the time it takes to pull a shot, from about 30 seconds down to maybe 15-20. But in the end I don't think the flavor is much different. Crema is a little richer with the double wall.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics