• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I'm ashamed of your lying. This belt is really no problem?
No, as I said the back of the turn is obviously shorter than it should be, in particular when you can see it compared with the others that are as they should be. I said that if it was a problem to you its was a problem to us, regardless of the technicalities. The technicalities matter of course, particularly to us, but the only thing that is 100% relevant is do you love the belt - you dont and therefore regardless of the issue we'd replace it. All you need to do is get in touch, let us know the details and it'll be sorted out for you.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Poor quality, both sides of the asymmetry, there are obvious flaws. The quality is obviously not as good as before.
Yes it's too short. Just contact them directly for a replacement. I got a belt with the wrong leather color once that I only noticed after 2 months. Sent it back and got a brand new one. This is 1 belt out of 10+ I've gotten from Equus. I'd complain if I consistently got flawed products which in your case was just a single incident.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes it's too short. Just contact them directly for a replacement. I got a belt with the wrong leather color once that I only noticed after 2 months. Sent it back and got a brand new one. This is 1 belt out of 10+ I've gotten from Equus. I'd complain if I consistently got flawed products which in your case was just a single incident.
I have consistently gotten great quality and great customer service from Equus and I am sure that this will turn out right. But, if Charlie doesn't mind addressing, I am curious how this product escaped the shop. Someone sewed it by hand and it is hard to imagine how the short back side wasn't noticed. It was, literally, right in front of his (or her) eyes. It is one thing for a hidden flaw to escape, since it is, by its nature, hidden. But this should have been obvious to whoever sewed it.

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I have consistently gotten great quality and great customer service from Equus and I am sure that this will turn out right. But, if Charlie doesn't mind addressing, I am curious how this product escaped the shop. Someone sewed it by hand and it is hard to imagine how the short back side wasn't noticed. It was, literally, right in front of his (or her) eyes. It is one thing for a hidden flaw to escape, since it is, by its nature, hidden. But this should have been obvious to whoever sewed it.

Its an example of a) human nature and b) imperfect QC.

a) your exactly right, it will have been perfectly obvious to whoever made it - they made it that way after all. In the run up to Christmas we work very hard, and a belt is an hours work, the error likely happened at least half way through that so its understandable that the occasional instance of not wanting to start over happens, even amongst us, and our guys (gals, actually) are good, some of the best there are anywhere

however

b) thats why we have QC, who really are the culprits. They however are also human and have been pushing hard in the run up to Christmas. The flaws we're most concerned with is length, leather quality, damage, buckle related issues, all of which are on judged largely on the front of the belt. The back is checked also but the higher priority is other areas so if a fault was missed its easy to see why its there.

Shouldnt happen, but try as we might we arent perfect. Some flaws are flaws only in the eye of the beholder, this one is a deviation from the pattern so it is a flaw in anyones eyes and shouldnt have gone out. No business making things in the history of the world has ever achieved 100% perfection though, and as a result we take the view that if someone isn't in love with a belt, we replace it, technical fault, non technical fault or beauty being in the eye of the beholder (or not) we try to make sure they get a belt they do love. Lots of happy customers about so it seems to work!

Charlie

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, Charlie. I really appreciate the response and the honest spirit in which it was given. I know how good is your work and customer service and have no doubt this will easily be made right. But your explanation provides small insights into how the product is made and that is always enjoyable. Best wishes on the remainder of the season and hope you then get some much earned rest.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm ashamed of your lying. This belt is really no problem?
That's a bit harsh. He's offered to take care of things for you. I recently received my first belt and ordered another almost immediately. I've found the customer service to be excellent.

Astaroth

Reaction score
No - difficult to get the leather thin enough to be lined, stitched and still robust. Not 100% impossible though!
I have to say that I've not seen any leather nato straps that are (appear) lined, just the small part where is more "doubled over" than actually lined where the hardware is attached. I've seen a few promote Hodinkee straps and this is the approach they also seem to be using too.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I have to say that I've not seen any leather nato straps that are (appear) lined, just the small part where is more "doubled over" than actually lined where the hardware is attached. I've seen a few promote Hodinkee straps and this is the approach they also seem to be using too.

I suppose thats my point. It seems a pretty nasty way to do it to me to have the flesh side of the leather on the skin. A leather that would be comfortable would likely not be strong enough and needs lining (the right way to do it in my view), or thicker stronger leathers could be used but thats just pretty crude. Lots of people do it the unlined way, no point us doing it too, but we'll do a proper version at some point, just needs some development work to get it just right

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suppose thats my point. It seems a pretty nasty way to do it to me to have the flesh side of the leather on the skin. A leather that would be comfortable would likely not be strong enough and needs lining (the right way to do it in my view), or thicker stronger leathers could be used but thats just pretty crude. Lots of people do it the unlined way, no point us doing it too, but we'll do a proper version at some point, just needs some development work to get it just right

Rather than nato, a bund may be more suitable for Equus style. Imagine a nice rich patina on a bund
1f60e.png

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Rather than nato, a bund may be more suitable for Equus style. Imagine a nice rich patina on a bund
1f60e.png

Yes - Ive been thinking of a full bund in particular for some time, much more pleasing way of dealing with a military/flying/vintage watch IMO, but that style in general I do like

Astaroth

Reaction score
I havent found any that are doing shorter lengths nor anything more interesting than calf or kangaroo. If you know of any the please let me know.

Bunds look good on the right watch but I am not totally against Nato straps. Also with some vintage watches, namely pilots, the pin is soldered in place between the lugs making anything other than Nato straps complex.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I havent found any that are doing shorter lengths nor anything more interesting than calf or kangaroo. If you know of any the please let me know.

Bunds look good on the right watch but I am not totally against Nato straps. Also with some vintage watches, namely pilots, the pin is soldered in place between the lugs making anything other than Nato straps complex.

I think quite a few of the more basic leather guys do them?

I agree, not at all against Natos in the right application, I just dont like poor (IMO) execution. Its why our product development cycle can take ages, I like to do it like I think it should be done or not at all. Natos certainly have a place on Fleigers, though I think traditionally the simple ones have been web not leather (am sure there were leather ones made also), but a lot of the older 20s/30s/40s fixed bar watches have either leather straps that are fitted around the bars and closed with glue, butterfly clips or are stitched around the bars which is what we do quite a lot of. There are quite a lot of photos of vintage stuff on our Instagram feed. I have a pair of my own fixed bar watches of vaious periods I must make somthing for at some stage really!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads