• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Arghh I want to buy 4 pairs of trousers.. but it's $$$$. I know these will last me a while and are certainly worth the price.. but is there an SF discount by any chance?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wj4, your pics are great. i can only imagine how much better they would look against a nice city street backdrop in a downtown metropolis or surrounding area. shopping malls & apartment complexes are photo buzzkills

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wj4, your pics are great. i can only imagine how much better they would look against a nice city street backdrop in a downtown metropolis or surrounding area. shopping malls & apartment complexes are photo buzzkills

You and me both, bro. Between work and full time grad school....I rarely have time for anything. I have like 4-5 places I use for the week days, depending on the sun. On the weekends, I usually bust out the tripod and try to look for something close by. Hopefully when I finish the program in December, I'll get a chance to take better pictures. I also wish I had more fashion friends to capture too, but alas I don't.

Today...Oxford Chinos
tumblr_m9usg3VYed1rux7jzo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9usg3VYed1rux7jzo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9usg3VYed1rux7jzo4_1280.jpg

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any new shirts in the works?

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of shirts, anyone looking for some Epaulet shirts in Large hit me up, I've lost some lb's and looking to sell some. All shirts are in flawless like new shape.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Any new shirts in the works?

Definitely. We've got two new Ashland shirts going live this week - both of them are really killer.

I believe that our first really big Fall order of shirts should be here in the next 7-10 days. Lots of great patterns and plaids there. A few crazy Japanese fabrics too.

And in-non shirt news, our big Fall trouser delivery will be here middle of next week. Purple Shetland Tweed, Mist Moleskin, Grape Flannel, Navy Donegal, etc. There is some absolutely KILLER stuff in there! We'll drop the Walts by next Thursday-Friday, and set up the next Factory Finds & Rudy Preorder for the week after that.

You and me both, bro. Between work and full time grad school....I rarely have time for anything. I have like 4-5 places I use for the week days, depending on the sun. On the weekends, I usually bust out the tripod and try to look for something close by. Hopefully when I finish the program in December, I'll get a chance to take better pictures. I also wish I had more fashion friends to capture too, but alas I don't.
Today...Oxford Chinos
tumblr_m9usg3VYed1rux7jzo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9usg3VYed1rux7jzo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9usg3VYed1rux7jzo4_1280.jpg

I really admire anyone who has the dedication to shoot the daily photos that you take Wisith. I think that you do a great job. And as the guy who shoots every photo on our site, I certainly see the value in using consistent scenes :)

I forget, do you use an SLR? If you do - or if you're using a compact camera where you can control the aperture - you can always try shooting with a wide open aperture (ideally f/3.5 or wider). This will blur the background and focus more of the photo on you. When I shoot Dylan's fit shots, I'm usually at f/3.5 or f/2.8.

This can be tricky with a self timer, as you have to set the focus and exposure point. But it can be done if you have a tripod and something tall that can "stand in." I personally use a really cheap extra tripod for that. Something cheesy, light, and aluminum. You put your camera on the good tripod. Put the cheap one in the spot where you're going to stand. Tape a grey piece of paper to the top of the cheap stand. Focus your camera on the grey paper and then run out, remove the cheap tripod from the frame, stand exactly where it was, and smile for the camera. When it works, it REALLY works. Focus is on point, white balance is correct, exposure is good, and it looks like someone with skills nailed your portrait.

Arghh I want to buy 4 pairs of trousers.. but it's $$$$. I know these will last me a while and are certainly worth the price.. but is there an SF discount by any chance?

Ah sorry, we don't have a Styleforum discount - it's just a single price for our items. But I'd definitely encourage you to try one pair of trousers, especially if its your first time. Try out one pair, make sure that you like the cut and the size is correct, and then you can pick up more later on. We've always got new stuff coming in.

Are the sweaters going to run as small as XS?

Sorry, they won't officially be XS. But our Small sweaters - especially the merino and lighter weight ones - tend to fit customers who take XS in our shirting quite well.

racknac

Reaction score
Please slowly release the new shirts... I'm still recovering from my Carmina and wool rivet chino purchases from last week. I am trying to limit my Epaulet spending to under $500/month for the rest of the year...

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any plans to release the wool rivet chinos in other colors, say some "traditional" or work friendly colors such as gunsteel, gray, or navy.

Thanks!

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really admire anyone who has the dedication to shoot the daily photos that you take Wisith. I think that you do a great job. And as the guy who shoots every photo on our site, I certainly see the value in using consistent scenes :)
I forget, do you use an SLR? If you do - or if you're using a compact camera where you can control the aperture - you can always try shooting with a wide open aperture (ideally f/3.5 or wider). This will blur the background and focus more of the photo on you. When I shoot Dylan's fit shots, I'm usually at f/3.5 or f/2.8.
This can be tricky with a self timer, as you have to set the focus and exposure point. But it can be done if you have a tripod and something tall that can "stand in." I personally use a really cheap extra tripod for that. Something cheesy, light, and aluminum. You put your camera on the good tripod. Put the cheap one in the spot where you're going to stand. Tape a grey piece of paper to the top of the cheap stand. Focus your camera on the grey paper and then run out, remove the cheap tripod from the frame, stand exactly where it was, and smile for the camera. When it works, it REALLY works. Focus is on point, white balance is correct, exposure is good, and it looks like someone with skills nailed your portrait.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the tip. I use a Canon S100 for the week days since it fits nicely in the CdG pouch. I use an Olympus EPM1 for the weekends. I actually have a tripod in the trunk haha.

Thanks for the tip on the aperture. I Google'd that before, but didn't have time to read up. A while back you suggested that I can jimmy-rig up a bag for the rainy days...I'm still working on that. I'm also looking at how I can take pictures on days with heavy winds so the camera doesn't fly away.

This whole thing is pretty fun actually. It started out as a joke when my coworker took pics of me with an iPhone. It also made me look at my ambiance differently. I'm always scanning for objects that I can use to rest the camera on for quick pictures.

Last edited:

racknac

Reaction score
any plans to have a Carmina captoe shoe in a nice traditional brown? I'm looking for something more conservative to be my workhorse shoe for work.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike, I may have missed it, but what's the deal with the 4 new styles of Carmina x Styleforum exclusives that you mentioned releasing today?

stlms3

Reaction score

Mike, I may have missed it, but what's the deal with the 4 new styles of Carmina x Styleforum exclusives that you mentioned releasing today?

Wait, weight, whate, mike mentioned today, September 4th, that they are releasing these carminas? Or do you mean that he planned on releasing them today???? I plan on buying one more pair of carmina boots this year, so this is important stuff.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys!
4. Starting tomorrow, we're going to do a site-wide promotion for the Steinbeck wingtip boot. That's an exclusive Epaulet style, and we're going to offer three variants for late November delivery. It will be in the Forest last, so we can order wides, and the three variants were cooked up by both me and Fok (La Guy). They'll be revealed tomorrow! We should be able to offer matching belts as well, and I'll see what other good stuff we can include. That thread will be hosted on MC.

I misremembered...3 styles, but they were supposed to drop today. Stop teasing us, Mike.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads