• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, Mike, do this. No pleat and no darts. But I really think you ought to sample one in a popover in say... an XL? I'll be glad to take it off your hands then...
smile.gif
QFT

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep! Totally agree, knock out the pleat, personally I like darts but most here don't. That collar would look great on a pop-over as well.

Agree with @Nik Telford a solid white, just like Jiro's. A nice lofty fine white twill. That shirt has casual summer wedding staple written all over it!

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@epaulet If you get rid of the darts will you adjust the body to be like it is now with darts? Even darted I get a bit more billow then I'd like in the waist, and I need to start buying Large so imagine it will be moreso.

Either way keep doing what you're doing Mike!

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just took delivery of the EFF shirt and Johnstons scarf. Always love the hand written notes. Such a great touch.

Also I like the darts. The shirt fits me well with the darts and I like having the ability to remove them if I feel after sending to the cleaners makes the shirt feel a bit tight.

Cloth is so ******* soft though. So good

Last edited:

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the shirt feedback guys!

Okay, so this is maybe the worst preview pic ever: but in summary - we freaking nailed the "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" look! One piece collar, huge French facing. That same big generous roll on the collar. Slim MOP buttons, gorgeous Thomas Mason Silver fabric. Crazy good value at $165.

I ran this sample shirt through an aggressive wash to shrink-test it, that's why its a wrinkled mess here.

The best thing about this shirt is wearing it open under a jacket. It looks so sharp with one or two chest buttons undone. The placket lays like nothing else.

Now, this has to be made OTR and in Portugal.. Individualized cannot make this collar. In order to make it more formal, I'm thinking about taking out both the box pleat and the darts for this. What do you guys think?

I would definitely try that if I can get a size that fits. But I'd probably be XS. Can we arrange something like a pre-order? And I vote for no box pleat at least, but I've never needed them.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In order to make it more formal, I'm thinking about taking out both the box pleat and the darts for this. What do you guys think?

I hate darts in all instances.
I have no problem with removing the box pleat on that specific shirt.
It looks cool, I'm a fan.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the shirt feedback guys!

Okay, so this is maybe the worst preview pic ever: but in summary - we freaking nailed the "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" look! One piece collar, huge French facing. That same big generous roll on the collar. Slim MOP buttons, gorgeous Thomas Mason Silver fabric. Crazy good value at $165.

I ran this sample shirt through an aggressive wash to shrink-test it, that's why its a wrinkled mess here.

The best thing about this shirt is wearing it open under a jacket. It looks so sharp with one or two chest buttons undone. The placket lays like nothing else.

Now, this has to be made OTR and in Portugal.. Individualized cannot make this collar. In order to make it more formal, I'm thinking about taking out both the box pleat and the darts for this. What do you guys think?

I'm all about this... and taking out the darts/box pleat sounds perfect. Somebody can always slim down if need be.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True about those who need to add darts can do so but it can add up depending where you live. As an example for me....165 for shirt + 30 shipping + 20 duties + 25 darts...

Anyways epaulet isn't here to serve my personal needs and I'm sure Canadian buyers aren't keeping Epaulet rolling but just putting a perspective out there.

I'm cool whatever direction it goes.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woo! Got my shipping notice for the hertling Eff. Can't wait!

For the shirting, I'm indifferent to box pleat, but no to darts.

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike, I'm way late on this and we talked briefly about the Alden situation a few weeks back. But here are my thoughts: I have four pairs of Aldens and all but one are strictly casual shoes for me. And casual shoes for fall through early spring at that. I'm not a guy who likes to wear commando sole boots in June, no matter how badass the construction of that boot is. I really can't envision myself buying any more Aldens unless it's a unique makeup (all about the last/material combo). For $500-600 bucks, I can either: buy a beautiful pair of Carminas (either dressy or more casual) and have a $100 left over; buy a pair of Enzo Bonafes customized to my exact specifications; buy three pair of unusual sneakers from you; or buy 8 Somelos shirts; or any combo of awesomeness that you offer in other categories. At their current price point and intractable nature, Aldens only appeal to serious Alden collectors (the MDubs of the world) or newbies who need/want their first couple pairs as they're starting their collection. The reason Alden has reached an inflection point, to me, is that all the people who geeked out on them a few years back have got their fill, expanded their horizons and don't have room in the closet or ducats in the bank to make additional purchases. I seriously don't need any more shoes of any kind until Trump's nuclear winter destroys my current collection. And I'll probably have bigger survival issues at that point than deciding whether to get in on an Alt Wien pre-order. All that said, I agree with most of the folks here that keeping a tight collection of Aldens adds to EP's prestige factor (for how long, I'm not sure). So long as you can keep making money overall on stocking them, I see it as an effective gateway to your wider selection of addictive drugs. From a minimizing risk perspective, can you pare the Alden relationship back to a pre-order, group-buy only scenario? If they're hitting delivery windows for non grail leathers, most dudes willing to buy $575 shoes are also willing to wait a few months. How would that affect your relationship with Alden as a vendor? I see this workshop/pre-order model as being integral to high-end apparel/footwear retailers. Inventory, as you well know, is a *****.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know there have been many suggestions made here and I have added my thoughts all with the goal of helping and hoping Epaulet thrives in a challenging retail market.

One thing I would like to push back on is the commentary on pre-orders. Pre-orders seem to be the rage in this current SF era. I think Epaulet still needs to operate as a retailer (on-line, B&M) and make merchandising decisions and buys and hold inventory. Pre-orders for special make ups or non-common sizes are fine, but if Epaulet wants to be a source of Alden footwear, it should also act as a retailer of the brand with its own buys and stock. I will add that I am not a fan of pre-ordering and I largely fall within conventional sizing parameters. Still, I want to caution that not everyone thinks it is advantageous or desirable to pre-order clothes, footwear or accessories.

YMMV of course and I am just expressing my view and good faith opinion.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know there have been many suggestions made here and I have added my thoughts all with the goal of helping and hoping Epaulet thrives in a challenging retail market.

One thing I would like to push back on is the commentary on pre-orders. Pre-orders seem to be the rage in this current SF era. I think Epaulet still needs to operate as a retailer (on-line, B&M) and make merchandising decisions and buys and hold inventory. Pre-orders for special make ups or non-common sizes are fine, but if Epaulet wants to be a source of Alden footwear, it should also act as a retailer of the brand with its own buys and stock. I will add that I am not a fan of pre-ordering and I largely fall within conventional sizing parameters. Still, I want to caution that not everyone thinks it is advantageous or desirable to pre-order clothes, footwear or accessories.

YMMV of course and I am just expressing my view and good faith opinion.
I am in the same boat, I much prefer not to pre-order, but will do so if there is cost savings of 10%+, a la EFF and a reasonable timeline.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm into the whole preorder experience. I find it fun and addicting. Given my price neighborhood, 80% of my clothing purchases over the past year have been Gustin campaigns and EP EFFs, and Vass / Bonafe MTOS and Alden preorders.

I find the anticipation as much fun as receiving the item. Am I crazy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads