• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that Carminas are hit with 33% tax and duty by our lovely CDN govt! $792 Canadian for the Salinger Double Monks if they get tagged at the border. Ugh! I do want them though.
I wonder if you request them USPS....

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Gents.
The stitching is something Viberg does.
I am not familiar with the exact terminology or method, but it seems very robust and sure looks cool.
I am sure @MoneyWellSpent can drop some knowledge.

Viberg currently only uses stitch-down construction, hence the double row of stitching

It's more complex than just stitch down. It has some similarities, but is much more robust, while stitch-down is a pretty basic and much weaker construction method. Viberg (and Wesco, White's, and Nick's) are more of a niche construction method. Even these different brands have differences between them. For Viber, they nail the insole into the upper at the heel, and they nail on the midsole up to the ball, then the upper is turned out and stitched to the vamp around the ball and the toe of the boot. Finally, the outsole is stitched on, which accounts for the second row of stitches. I see the similarity between stitch-down and what Viberg does, in that the upper is turned out and "stitched down", but true stitch-down doesn't use a midsole at all, and I would assume it to be nail less as well. See these diagrams of traditional stitch down and a photo of a cross section of a Wesco boot (which is similar construction).

Click to enlarge:

I borrowed this boot cross section image from the Nick's boots thread where we had a similar discussion. This is a Wesco boot, but the construction is the same as a Viberg. The Red is pointing to the double rows of stitching as described above, and the blue would represent the nails.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a modified stitchdown construction that Viberg uses along the vamp. Inner row of stitching passes through the upper and midsole, and the outer row passes through the upper, midsole, and outsole.

And if you want this replicated on a resole, ONLY send back to Viberg. Nobody else can pull this off as I discovered personally.

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rivet Chino Factory Finds Washed and Sanded UK Steep Twill - Petrol

Any thoughts on the fit?

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rivet Chino Factory Finds Washed and Sanded UK Steep Twill - Petrol

Any thoughts on the fit?

Seems a bit tight up top. Fit pics need multiple angles, back side front, straight on.

But agree with last poster, is there a specific issue? For causal pants, no one's really going to bat an eye if they are comfortable on you.

Last edited:

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But tough to tell at that angle, but everything looks in order. Anything in particular you're wondering about?

Seems a bit tight up top. Fit pics need multiple angles, back side front, straight on.

But agree with last poster, is there a specific issue? For causal pants, no one's really going to bat an eye if they are comfortable on you.

Thanks gentlemen,

I was wondering about the crotch/upper thigh area. They felt comfortable as I wore them yesterday but I was unsure of how they looked to others.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Not to mention the fact that Carminas are hit with 33% tax and duty by our lovely CDN govt! $792 Canadian for the Salinger Double Monks if they get tagged at the border. Ugh! I do want them though.
Well, we've got something that can mitigate that. If you PM on of the other Canadian members here, then they can tell you about our usual shipping technique
I'm with Tricky on this one. Mike you have to come to Toronto sometimes!
Ah man, I would love to! I've definitely got a Canadian trip planned this year.
I can't decided whether to get the Doyle in Navy Overdyed Kaihara Denim or Navy Duck Canvas. Anyone who has seen both in person have a preference? Also, which one is darker? The Denim one appears darker in the photos on the website:
But, I found this posted earlier here that shows it looking much lighter:
Are these the same jacket?
Well, they're both pretty different. The Duck Canvas model is a lot lighter. It drapes a bit like a cotton sportcoat. The Overdyed is a very soft and rich denim which drapes like a denim jacket. And sorry for the difference in tones between those two shots. I'd say that the real color is in between the two. Not quite a dark as the studio shots, but darker than that outdoor pic - which looking at it right now - is pretty overexposed. You can see how glowing the white shirt is underneath it. I'll see if I can shoot some new fit photos tomorrow.
Hi Mike -- How far off is the Southwick MTO program? I'm tempted to order some of the lightweight wool trousers for summer but had been holding out until I see the new program. Thanks!
We're actually ready to go live with it now, I've just been waiting for our site designer to work out the template to show a multitude of both options and prices - as we can now do 2-piece or 3-piece suits, and a rush charge upgrade. Hopefully we can put that together soon.
Any recs for a robust khaki MTO fabric that fades well with use? Thinking of the RRL selvedge chino fabric.
For the Walt/Rudy/Driggs, I'd say that the G&L Military Twill is the closest. It's softer and finer than that RRL fabric, but it's probably around the same weight and will definitely fade with use. We've gotten fantastic feedback on it, so I'm confident that you'll dig it in person.
Also, just ordered a pair of MTO Walts in the Loro Piana cotton satin British khaki. I've needed to replace my most worn pair of khakis for a couple of years now, but couldn't find the right shade. These look like they'll be perfect, and an incredibly nice fabric to boot.
How are those MTO chambray Doyles coming along?
Very good. We finished all of the pattern work for the odd and extended sizes, and they should be right on time with the planned delivery.
Any chance you'll be restocking the Olive Snorkel Parka in an XS/S?
Ah sadly those are gone for good. That jacket can no longer be made in the States.
Can MTO Shirts be made longer in the body? I know it is not an option on the site but can you write it in?
Not at the moment - we can only extend the length of the sleeves. But I'm working on a way to do that for the Fall.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Final Short Sample

Better late than never! After long last, the EPLA short is fully made and approved. Here's an image of the last sample, in size 32:

We're going to put these into work pronto, and we're expecting delivery by the end of the month.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads