• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SeanMarcellus

Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere that the term "chinos" is what the English (and maybe Europeans) call what Americans typically call "khakis". I use the term interchangeably although I prefer chinos because with khakis, I'm never sure if one means that they're the color khaki as well or another color.

From what I was Googleing this morning, khakis and chinos are used interchangeably in the US a lot, but both are a different type of trouser.

Nice trousers are new to me, only since I've joined this site in the past couple days have I even heard of chinos.
I grew up doing construction, prior to my current job, I had 1 pair of khakis and a white button down shirt for dressy occasions :)

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@SeanMarcellus I think you are going to like the trousers from Epaulet. They are definitely different from a $50 version, particularly when you are talking about the wool they run.

Here's a snapshot of the Carmina caramel calf Alt Wiens, in the snow. Almost like being in Old Vienna itself. (Is that Harry Lime skulking in the background there...)

SeanMarcellus

Reaction score
@SeanMarcellus I think you are going to like the trousers from Epaulet. They are definitely different from a $50 version, particularly when you are talking about the wool they run.

Here's a snapshot of the Carmina caramel calf Alt Wiens, in the snow. Almost like being in Old Vienna itself. (Is that Harry Lime skulking in the background there...)

NIce..... looking forward to getting my hands on a pair.
Currently I wear Alfani Red (bad word on here?) I get off ebay for 20$ because I like the slim fit ($135 retail). When you hold them up you can see through them.

I've got the money and I hate to be cold, so I'm determined this winter to get some warm pants.
I just started to lean about style a few years ago, I feel like I missed something growing up, and this endeavor to find warm dress pants has opened a new world to me.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL..... sweet.

Thanks, I'm new here.
Welcome! This is a great place to learn because A) the frequent post-makers are very well versed in men's clothing and B) it is one of the friendliest threads on StyleForum.

What you have learned so far is quite impressive and everyone's advice should help as well. My first pair of real trousers were from Epaulet four years ago and I still wear them regularly. The other thing that you will discover as you get more into men's clothing is that Epaulet's prices are actually a STEAL. Products of similar quality to basic wool Walts (around $225) routinely retail for $350+ elsewhere.

There is a reason why the word "addiction" gets thrown around this thread so often...

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How warm are the tweed walts? I'm afraid I'll get too hot at work, but they would be awesome for my commute.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How warm are the tweed walts? I'm afraid I'll get too hot at work, but they would be awesome for my commute.
I live in MA and wear them all winter and don't find them too warm for indoors....

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@SeanMarcellus welcome aboard!

Don't be afraid to ask questions and get some snarky answers (not so much on this thread, but on StyleForum).

Today:
Holiday Plaid Walts
Speiwak Parka

SeanMarcellus

Reaction score
Recently I found out what good shoes are, today I ordered my first $200+ pants, epaulet grey tweed.

Is there a big difference in shirts $50 to $100 or $150?

I usually by Van Heusen fitted on sale for $25 or less ($50 retail), then I get them fitted for $8. The world of differences in shoes and pants from what I'm used to makes me wonder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads