• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Environmental effects on leather shoes

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have been thinking about this but I wonder if others' have thoughts about how factors such as humidity and temperature affect leather shoes. Here in NYC during the winter months, the heat can be very harsh in older brownstone flats. I wonder if the dry heat has any effect on leather, or the leathers are typically infused with enough oils that this is a non-issue.

Arethusa406

Reaction score
I sometimes think about the effect of transitioning from wet, cold NYC weather into the driver's seat of a heated car. The heat typically blows out at the feet, right on the shoes. And we've all heard lots of times not to do things like put fine leather shoes on top of a radiator, for example. Ahh... worry, fret, and bother... Polish frequently, I suppose, to keep the leather healthy.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Polish frequently, I suppose, to keep the leather healthy.

Condition regularly, rather. Polish/waxes do help but only to repell incidental humidity.

Probably...esp. in NYC or other northern urban environments...the effects of sulfur in the air (and the rain) is more harmful than humidity or heat.

Getting a shoe wet...again esp. in northern climates, where salt or other chemicals may be used to melt ice... and then drying it quickly can result in pretty tenacious water and salt stains (some of the salt staining can be due to excess chromium salts in the leather).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads