1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Environmental effects on leather shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitedDx, Mar 2, 2013.

1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Have been thinking about this but I wonder if others' have thoughts about how factors such as humidity and temperature affect leather shoes. Here in NYC during the winter months, the heat can be very harsh in older brownstone flats. I wonder if the dry heat has any effect on leather, or the leathers are typically infused with enough oils that this is a non-issue.

2. Arethusa406

Arethusa406 Well-Known Member

I sometimes think about the effect of transitioning from wet, cold NYC weather into the driver's seat of a heated car. The heat typically blows out at the feet, right on the shoes. And we've all heard lots of times not to do things like put fine leather shoes on top of a radiator, for example. Ahh... worry, fret, and bother... Polish frequently, I suppose, to keep the leather healthy.

3. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Condition regularly, rather. Polish/waxes do help but only to repell incidental humidity.

Probably...esp. in NYC or other northern urban environments...the effects of sulfur in the air (and the rain) is more harmful than humidity or heat.

Getting a shoe wet...again esp. in northern climates, where salt or other chemicals may be used to melt ice... and then drying it quickly can result in pretty tenacious water and salt stains (some of the salt staining can be due to excess chromium salts in the leather).