• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

atlr

Reaction score
Anyone handled the weather poplin fabric yet? How is the weight? I'm assuming "weather" meaning it has some some kind of water repellence, no?

tjonesd2

Reaction score
Please tell me one of y'all won that xl sherpa coat on the bay... want to see some fit pics!

triad

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask, but I couldn't find a general thread for EG so it might be best if I ask here. Does anyone know from which season is this jacket? Tia

mbaum

Reaction score
So, yesterday, I got my EG shopping hat on and went out to check out SS14 here in LA. I like the prints/ fabrics, sizing continues to be challenging as always. Here are a few observations:

Jackets are cut slim as usual. Baker fit is fantastic - I can do XL for more loose and L for more fitted
  • Black/ blue batik print surprised me the most, seeing it in person - Quite fantastic and for some reason more subtle than in pictures. I saw it modeled with a white/ blue printed shirt and - a perfect match - the green olive ripstop fatigues. it looked awesome and probably my first choice for this season's jackets so far

Shorts/ Fatigue pants - what is not to love about them but sizing is challenging:
  • Ghurka is cut very slim. I do not fit into those as it is thin to start with an tapered. For those of you, who work out at the gym, those will not work. Bummer as the prints I checked out (polka dot, blue bird/ branch) are really, really good
  • Mil works better and is a tad looser with ~1/2 inch wider leg/ leg opening. Nice shorts, a bit unremarkable to me in the olive pima poplin compared to the olive ripstop fabric
  • Fatigues - Fit huge this season, but fit well. Need to downsize to an M with my 33.5" waist and still need to use the drawstrings. Shorts and pants are loose fitting. Very comfortable, great fit
  • Tried on the hounds tooth fatigue pants (Piece of trivia for the classic car aficionados: Porsche offered a hounds tooth fabric inserts for 911/ 912 seats when these cars where introduced in the mid-60's. The pants have the same pattern just with a tad smaller hounds tooths
    smile.gif
    ) It is an interesting piece but did feel that I looked like my local baker.

Shirts appear to be cut loose for summer so TTS is the rule to go: It worked for me (L) for popovers, work shirts, standard, etc.

Also a surprise to me on how nice it is: Aviator jacket. I tried on the blue one and it fits nicely in XL (You might have to size up on it but not as slim than the jackets). I have not seen the grey one but think that that the jacket in that color is a stand-out this season.

Mike

HelloFello

Reaction score
Which shop did you to see all this selection in LA? The only shop that I've seen that has anything near that much selection is Mohawk General Store in Silverlake. Steven Alan in Venice had only 4 pieces all together.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to flog a dead horse...

Gitman Vintage EG

that Gitman are using it for shirting may give a clue as to the fabric weight / feel, for those interested

mbaum

Reaction score
Yes, Mohawk (Got second drop in) and Steve Alan in Venice (Very limited selection of 5 pieces but has all sizes available). Last week, I checked with American Rag but they have either not yet gotten a drop or not yet unpacked. maybe now?

Mohawk also still has a few AW pieces at 60% off, including a full three-piece grey floral Andover/ vest/ pants (Do not know on sizes/ if all three match) and a few madras shirts.

Lastly, their website currently only shows a fraction of what they have in the store.

Mike

El QUaG

Reaction score

• Mil works better and is a tad looser with ~1/2 inch wider leg/ leg opening. Nice shorts, a bit unremarkable to me in the olive pima poplin compared to the olive ripstop fabric
  • Fatigues - Fit huge this season, but fit well. Need to downsize to an M with my 33.5" waist and still need to use the drawstrings. Shorts and pants are loose fitting. Very comfortable, great fit

I acquired Mil Shorts in Olive Pima Cotton. I thought the colour was muted at first but it has grown on me. It's a softer and lighter complexion, ideal for summer. It also fits well into my growing collection of EG olive colour pieces from recent years.

In order from left to right:
  • SS13 Field Jacket NyCo
  • SS12 Bedford Jacket
  • SS12 Penn Shirt Jacket
  • AW13 Fatigue Trousers Reversed Sateen
  • SS13 Fatigue Trousers Reversed Sateen
  • SS14 Mil Shorts Pima Cotton

The fabric has also stretched after a day of wear. Initial fit was a tad tight around waist.
The three concealed zip pockets are a nice touch and explains the additional cost to a degree.
Side waist fasteners are a nice addition, borrowing from military design (hence the name obviously). I noticed YKK zippers applied to the pockets but TALON used on the fly zip.

I also acquired 8oz Denim Fatigue shorts. Definitely size down from your usual size as mentioned already.

eluther

Reaction score

I acquired Mil Shorts in Olive Pima Cotton. I thought the colour was muted at first but it has grown on me.

Don't size down on the Mil shorts, yeah? They looked so much like the fatigues I figured it was the same pattern.

mbaum

Reaction score
I know we are long ways away from AW14 and I have barely started with summer stuff but that collection is un-*******-real. Love the jackets, love the pants, love the knits. And love the muted color palette (Save for Leopard prints ...) that works for an old fart like me.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads