• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments FW 17

stevenkmason

Reaction score
It`s a gold mine for either really big or really small guys, isn`t it ;) ?
sadly I´m somewhere in between :D
What did you pick up? (i am curious..)

From Marrkt I snagged:
FW15 Dk Grey 13 oz Herringbone Bedford
and
FW15 Dark Navy Floral Embroidered Corduroy Portview

The Bedford was lightly used and the Portview was NWT and was a collab with TBB.

I also have a robe coming, from Grailed. The pictures were god awful but I *think* it's from FW11 in a grey tweed fabric. We'll see when it shows up.

CrowShit

Reaction score
Some sizing recommendations. I fit into E.G. US M/32 almost unilaterally:
  • CPO definitely size down
  • Highland Parka probably size down unless you want to layer a lot underneath it
  • Ground Pants are on the slightly slim side of TTS
  • Willy Posts are on the generous side of TTS; also no issues with calves/thighs, etc.

And some other thoughts:
  • The big Woolrich plaid is by far my favorite fabric of the season; maybe ever
  • This season's olive doublecloth is really light and pairs well with gray (as opposed to many season's olive which is on the gray scale and competes with it w/r/t huge/brightness/saturation).

Adding my $.02
  • Workshirts might be bigger than ever. Some people have said they needed to size down in previous seasons, I never did until this season. I put on the navy plaid workshirt size S over a SS13 size S shirt and it fit very well.
  • I nearly always wear a size 32 pant (Willy Post excluded) I needed to size down on the Double Cloth Logger Pant, first time ever.
  • Round Collar shirt was also bigger than in the past.
  • CPO I went TTS for my normal shirt size (until this season a S) and it fit very well over a shirt.
Anybody try on the Riding Coat yet? It looks to fit somewhere in between the parkas and the reversible coats.

whereeaglesdare

Reaction score
Fall Winter shirts always seem to run a little larger than their SS counterparts.
I've tried on the 19th C and Work shirts this season and they seem pretty similar to FW16 sizing.

whereeaglesdare

Reaction score
The CPO is an over-shirt and sits in between a jacket and shirt option. So it's up to you how you want to wear it.
Size down for more of shirt option. Take your usual size and you can easily layer a sweater/jumper or vest under it.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
The wool highland parka this year is a lighter melton than in previous years...kind of bummed.

I picked up the black and olive double cloth ground pant though.

I must say, the ground pant might be my fav EG pant they've ever done.

espen

Reaction score
Any comments on the corduroy baker? Curious to hear about sizing, typically a 40"ish, thinking a medium would fit.

besbesbes

Reaction score
Any comments on the corduroy baker? Curious to hear about sizing, typically a 40"ish, thinking a medium would fit.
I ordered both L and XL from TBB as measurements left me thinking.
Will post fit pics later when parcel arrives.

Tomato

Reaction score
Can anybody more familiar with the pants comment on the differences between some of the pants? In particular, the Benson and Ground Pant look awfully similar so I was hoping to get a handle on how they fit.

mdcmdcmdc

Reaction score
I like the denim bedford a lot. I'm curious to feel the worsted jackets in person - I wonder if the andover jacket/pants are too heavy to function as an actual suit?

El QUaG

Reaction score
Can anybody more familiar with the pants comment on the differences between some of the pants? In particular, the Benson and Ground Pant look awfully similar so I was hoping to get a handle on how they fit.

Benson Pants - I have this in the corduroy and worn a handful of times this past week, and it is slightly shorter inseam and overall, fuller in the leg (very little tapering if any).
I like the large oversized rear back pocket (only one on right hand side - plus the two side pockets).
Leg opening is wider than Ground Pant and includes a herringbone drawstring if you're inclined to reduce the leg opening. I have had no need for this (I have long legs so these sit a above the ankle line and I generally wear most pants around the hips rather than lower around the waist).
What is most interesting, the inclusion of a waist drawstring (from experience is generally only applied to SS designs such as the Fatigue Pant). This indicates the design intent is for a roomier fit. So I'm a size 32 and rock the size small, which has maybe half an inch give (if that) around the waist. As I understand it, the fit is supposed to be wider than your actual waist size and to use the drawstring to size down as required. There are belt loops around the waist line, which seems redundant. But I prefer to use a belt rather than drawstring (the excess knot and fiddling around is too much for me) so the size small I purchased works perfectly for my situation. You could size up to medium if you're a 32-34 waist size. If you're a size 34" upwards to 36" waist, then I recommend you size up to XL.

Ground Pant - Skipped this current season, but have multiple pairs from SS17 and FW16, and from what I can tell they are all very similar in terms of fit. I like the roomy top block (which you can adjust slightly with the snap button adjusters below the waist line), and there is a decent taper along the legs. It is definitely my second favourite pants model after the Fatigue Pant (closely followed by the Cinch Pant). Very different fit and feel from the Benson (which as described above is very roomy). But I also like to tuck my shirts (tees and button ups) into my pants (not ever both shirts).

If you compare the flat product shots from TBB as below, you can see the differences in terms of inseam and leg room.

ddf17eb5125ad7bd2318db50bf3239c3.jpg

7705d7591c180b42329b219bc0732e87.jpg

Hope that helps!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads