• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emblematic / Club Ties

Grenadier

Reaction score
Hmm, I had assumed that the Polo crests were fictionalized.

So can I wear a Cambridge tie even though they turned me down for my PhD? It's not as bad as it sounds, they just didn't have any history professors interested in Louis XIV...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
Crest emblematics don't do much for me, but I have lots animal/fish/novelty emblematics - probably something like 20-25.

One of my favorites
store-tie.jpg

another favorite
2nb6807.jpg

Look the first one...

Is the second one by Hermes?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grenadier
Hmm, I had assumed that the Polo crests were fictionalized.

So can I wear a Cambridge tie even though they turned me down for my PhD? It's not as bad as it sounds, they just didn't have any history professors interested in Louis XIV...

You'd look an absolute idiot when an old Cantabrigian asked you which college you went to.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
You'd look an absolute idiot when an old Cantabrigian asked you which college you went to.

Agreed. If you were truly in the running for such a prestigious opportunity like that, surely there is something else that you have actually accomplished to brag about. If nothing else, wearing a tie (or anything else for that matter) that is unearned or represents a short-coming only makes your actual accomplishments appear that much more dubious or unimpressive. It would only take a keen eye and 15 minutes at a cocktail party to make that feeling hit home and leave you labeled as "that guy".

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try one first rather than buy a lot and repent later.

Also be very careful that they are not rip offs of real organisations - it is a discourtesy to wear something to which you are not entitled (cue outrage from those in the US who cheerfully wear UK regimental ties) and can be embarrassing if you meet a genuine member and have to admit the fact that you consider his organisation's shield etc to be a mere decoration.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted
I think with "statement pieces" like emblematic ties it looks quite gouache to wear the crest of something you have no affiliation with.

Come now...aren't you painting emblematic ties with too broad a brush here?

laugh.gif

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu

laugh.gif

You are probably right. I fear I misspoke/didn't explain my stance well enough.

I meant to say that the only club/emblematic ties that I own are those that denote membership or patronage. Not that I am opposed to more generic and/or non-official ties, I just happen to not own/wear any.

However, perhaps a good club tie to start with is the one that makes you a part of the Put This On Mafia. I'm sure YoungAmerican will welcome you with open arms.
https://www.kentwang.com/ties/red-stripe-white.html

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
(cue outrage from those in the US who cheerfully wear UK regimental ties)

We saved your asses in WWII. I think you can deal if we think some color combinations are cool and wear them without regard to the meanings that you think are so damn important.

Stripes are too basic a visual element to restrict like you do across the pond. If you want something for an organization, stick to the emblematic, where you can have your own unique thing without making it a pain ********** (yes, that's how it's spelled) to wear a basic striped tie.

Finally,
USA! USA! USA!

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien

College or regimental ties are always a bad idea...

Why do you want to wear a college tie ,ring if you didn't attend that particular place?

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grenadier
Hmm, I had assumed that the Polo crests were fictionalized. So can I wear a Cambridge tie even though they turned me down for my PhD? It's not as bad as it sounds, they just didn't have any history professors interested in Louis XIV...
Don't do this. I might wear my old college tie on occasion but would never dream of wearing a Lancers/Artillery/ other regimental tie if I was going to any function in which people take notice of such things. I haven't earned the right to wear those colours, wouldn't want people to assume that I am something I am not, would rather avoid such awkwardness, and am well aware that there are thousands of other pretty ties I would rather wear!
smile.gif

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Look the first one...

Is the second one by Hermes?

Don't they wish - it was a special run by Chipp II for some of the guys on the trad forum

cold war painter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu

Well played, sir; I was struggling to think of a joke involving heavy pigments in suspension.

Originally Posted by cptjeff
We saved your asses in WWII. I think you can deal if we think some color combinations are cool and wear them without regard to the meanings that you think are so damn important.

Finally,
USA! USA! USA!

In light of your signature, not sure if serious.

I'm actually surprised how many of the American posters have come out against wearing regimental/club ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads