• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

elevator etiquette

hamlet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Seems like much ado about nothing.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, HomerJ,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Larry David

Besides, isn't "much ado about nothing" the very definition of etiquette?

hamlet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jett
I've never seen an elevator that reverses direction, except on it's main floor (usually the first).

We were on the main flr. If I hadn't pushed the button it would've gone back up. That's why I posed this q? It's a Larry David moment. One of life's little dilemmas.

jett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamlet
We were on the main flr. If I hadn't pushed the button it would've gone back up. That's why I posed this q? It's a Larry David moment. One of life's little dilemmas.

Do you know if he was going more floors from the main floor than you? I.e if you were going down 1, was he going up 2+? If so then it may of gone down to be more efficient, even though it was told to go up first.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Stairs are a good idea, unless you are on the 50th floor, then I could see how that might be a problem (although its great exercise). I hate people in the office building that I work at that work on the 2nd floor, yet take the elevator.

Its faster to take the stairs, I'm on the 5th floor and I take the stairs most of the time.

Jon.

Although I sometimes am annoyed when people take the elevator for one floor, what really bothers me is when they feel the need to explain. I don't care to hear why they're not taking the stairs and I definitely don't need an apology.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought most elevators responded to calls in the order received, so I would have expected it to go up before going down. Shows what I know.

Reaction score
It is refreshing sometimes to step into an elevator and remain facing the back wall, back to the door.

flylot74

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Stairs are a good idea, unless you are on the 50th floor, then I could see how that might be a problem (although its great exercise). I hate people in the office building that I work at that work on the 2nd floor, yet take the elevator. Its faster to take the stairs, I’m on the 5th floor and I take the stairs most of the time. Jon.
I'm gonna hijack this thread a bit and (please indulge me a moment) beg the case for taking the stairs. Because office workers have such a sedentary life, quite often it is the only exercise available to them, as little as it is. Time constraints, life style issues, or monetary constraints quashes any hope of belonging to a gym. The dangerous trend of obesity in our society is so severe that now 10 year olds are developing adult onset diabetes as more and more schools omit physical education classes. As you get older, maintaining the proper weight and one's health becomes the single most difficult project in one's life. It's such a little thing, but it's the continuation of a healthy activity that will pay dividends in the future. You may say it is too minor, I insist that it is the maintenance of a life style that is important. As one grows older life style change is incremental and not noticeable until it is often too late. Pushing 58 now, I fight with weight, trying to shed and keep off 30 lbs is the most difficult thing to do. Though I may not run up a flight of stairs, I will walk up a flight or two! OK, I'm off the fatherly advice soapbox now. Please resume your banter. Thank you.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a nice thought, but many offices (like mine) do not have stairs that are usable for this purpose, only fire stairs that do not allow re-entry on a different floor and, as often as not, set off an alarm when you enter the staircase.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
It's a nice thought, but many offices (like mine) do not have stairs that are usable for this purpose, only fire stairs that do not allow re-entry on a different floor and, as often as not, set off an alarm when you enter the staircase.

True dat. What gets me is when there is a usable/internal staircase, and the layabouts insist on taking the elevator to go down or up one floor. When someone points out that there is a working staircase, they inevitably respond: "Yeah, but the elevator drops me off closer to where I want to go".
plain.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I worked in a building with dank piss stairs. Pretty sure a homeless guy made his home there.

Better than a dank piss elevator.....

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
True dat. What gets me is when there is a usable/internal staircase, and the layabouts insist on taking the elevator to go down or up one floor. When someone points out that there is a working staircase, they inevitably respond: "Yeah, but the elevator drops me off closer to where I want to go".
plain.gif

Listen, its their funeral, literary. Lack of exercises kills. I've been reading about Michelangelo and he used to walk from Florence to Settignano to Carrara and back. The only time he would take a cart was to carry marble. Not walking another 15 feet because the elevator is closer is ridiculous.
baldy[1].gif

Jon.

hamlet

Reaction score
There are no public stairwells down to the parking garage in this bldg. And the guy would've had to walk about 100 ft to get to the stairwell that goes up.

hamlet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by flylot74
I'm gonna hijack this thread a bit and (please indulge me a moment) beg the case for taking the stairs. Because office workers have such a sedentary life, quite often it is the only exercise available to them, as little as it is. Time constraints, life style issues, or monetary constraints quashes any hope of belonging to a gym.

The dangerous trend of obesity in our society is so severe that now 10 year olds are developing adult onset diabetes as more and more schools omit physical education classes. As you get older, maintaining the proper weight and one's health becomes the single most difficult project in one's life.

It's such a little thing, but it's the continuation of a healthy activity that will pay dividends in the future. You may say it is too minor, I insist that it is the maintenance of a life style that is important. As one grows older life style change is incremental and not noticeable until it is often too late. Pushing 58 now, I fight with weight, trying to shed and keep off 30 lbs is the most difficult thing to do. Though I may not run up a flight of stairs, I will walk up a flight or two!

OK, I'm off the fatherly advice soapbox now. Please resume your banter. Thank you.

That was kinda like getting stuck between flrs for a couple of minutes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads