• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So was this built on new resin last or old wooden last?
biggrin.gif
I still find it difficult to believe that change in the last material would change how shoe fit.

Old. This was from before the resins.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So was this built on new resin last or old wooden last? :D I still find it difficult to believe that change in the last material would change how shoe fit.

This story about resin lasts, while possible, sounds like the stuff of urban legends. I would like to hear EG or a reputable reseller chime in. Also, if true, what's the difference over time, less than 1/32" all around? Much more likely that plastic is simply cheaper...

I also in reading didn't understand but from trying I did. I tried on a uk9.5 on the 82 over a year ago and it fit really well. I then proceeded to order a Chelsea on the same last in the same size which was on the new last and much too large to even wear.
Super strange and annoying but oh well

I once had two Dover's.
They were both the same last and same size. (606, UK8.5E)
But both were thousands of serials apart. (50k vs 109k)
One was much too small while the other was much too large.
I once had two Dover's.
Thank you.

The old E82 definitely fit me well while the new E82 requires me to wear thicker sox. As a result, I have to stick with boots should I use the new E82. Unfortunate as the older fit was better for me.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So was this built on new resin last or old wooden last? :D I still find it difficult to believe that change in the last material would change how shoe fit.

The last material doesn't change the fit, the wear to that last material over the years does.

I asked last time I was in the Jermyn Street store, the reason the resin lasts are slightly more generous is that they are back to how the wooden lasts would have been when they were new.

The resin lasted 82s are a better fit for me than the old ones, a little more room across the toes.

stanchri

Reaction score
How exactly did they preserve the exact dimensions of the wooden lasts? I don't think there was such a thing as CAD back in 1890...

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't worn these in a while, so I figured I'd post the picture I took.

ino68

Reaction score
Also there was no forum of mega shoe enthusiasts debate these nuances :)

Likely a customer would go back to the shop and say 'it don't fit! Fix it!'

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you been darkening them? They look much darker now that when you first bought them. I think they look better now than the original

I was in doors and no flash. I actually plan on darkening them. I just did my dovers and malverns and these bad boys are due

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics