• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cypi2

Reaction score
On another note, this thread is great to collaborate with others in regards to Edward Green. I am generally loyal to only a few brands, but recently... St. Crispin and G&G have some eye-catching offerings. Do any of you gentlemen have any input on these two other brands? My apologies if I'm bringing up an old topic. Do you find the shoes as comfortable as EGs/quality of the shoe/etc? So far, there are no other shoes that have matched the beauty and comfort of the 82 last in my experience.

I would love some input!!!
smile.gif

I own a pair of Saint Crispin 523 that I ordered through Made to Order Paris, and, although they are utterly exquisite shoes, this experience with Saint Crispin turned out to be rather dreadful at first:

Although I visited Made to Order Paris to try several Saint Crispin sizes and fits on before placing the order, I was not able to wear these 523s for more than 30 minutes before they started to hurt my feet so badly that it was barely bearable. It did not feel like anything even remotely close to a normal break-in.

I did contact Made to Order Paris about that, but, to no avail: They just told me to wear the shoes for 30 minutes at a time until they felt comfortable. So, I wrote to Saint Crispin to ask if they would be willing to help, and never received any answer.

I took the shoes to my cobbler to be stretched and that helped a bit. I also have my own stretchers and applied them and a lot of Saphir shoe-eze before every wear during several months before the shoes started feeling comfortable at last.

Given that Made to Order Paris and Saint Crispin were not willing to help at all, I guess I will never know what happened with that order. Were the shoes actually ordered in the wrong size or fit?...

Saint Crispin's lasts seem to be rather narrow and it could also be that they just do not fit my feet well (I had a similar experience with a pair of JM Weston 696. JM Weston and I eventually reached the conclusion that the 696's last just did not fit my feet well. And, JM Weston graciously exchanged them for other shoes) .

So, I'd recommend that if you go for a pair of Saint Crispin you try them on and make sure you find a really comfortable size and fit before placing the order.

I own shoes from many different makers, and, EG is by far and will very likely remain my favorite maker of all. Their shoes or boots do feel the most comfortable of all from the very first wear (I never had to 'break-in' a pair of EG shoes!).

Last edited:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EG Cowes

I also order a pair of StC mto with last adjustments and when they delivered they felt super stiff and uncomfortable. I wore them for a day straight to work and it was such a mistake. It took almost 10 wears before they are finally comfortable but still a hair narrow.

Given the chance I will always choose EG over any other manufacturer. They have great leather, great styling, and lastly the most important for me is comfort and they excel in that

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ cypi2 . . . .

being interested in St. Crispin shoes, I want to make sure I understand your post.
you visited MTO Paris - tried various lasts and sizes to determine the fit - ordered a pair, presumably on the last
which fit - took delivery - checked the size and style number for correctness - tried them on and found the fit to
be unacceptable to the point of painful and realized that an F width is 'narrow' - adding insult to injury, MTO Paris
would not agree to have another pair made

do I understand the post correctly ?

Last edited:

cypi2

Reaction score
@ cypi2 . . . .

being interested in St. Crispin shoes, I want to make sure I understand your post.
you visited MTO Paris - tried various lasts and sizes to determine the fit - ordered a pair, presumably on the last
which fit - took delivery - checked the size and style number for correctness - tried them on and found the fit to
be unacceptable to the point of painful and realized that an F width is 'narrow' - adding insult to injury, MTO Paris
would not agree to have another pair made

do I understand the post correctly ?

You got it right. Visited MTO Pris, tried on several lasts, sizes and fits. Based on my feedback, MTO Paris determined the last size and fit to order. Received the shoes and although the last, size and fit appeared to be those MTO Paris had ordered after my visit, I could not wear the shoes. To what MTO Paris answered: Wear the shoes for 30 minutes at a time until they feel comfortable. And that was it. I do not know if this is insulting, but, they sure were not helpful at all. And, Saint Crispin simply ignored the message I sent them. Obviously, if you order a pair of Saint Crispin, I'd recommend you go through someone else than MTO paris. Since then, I have been very wary of buying other Saint Crispin shoes although I admit that I find some of their models interesting and attractive.

Last edited:

cypi2

Reaction score
Quote: +1 I have had a tendency to do that too for some time now. And, I completely agree on every point @justinkapur makes with regards to leather, style and comfort.

Last edited:

CFML

Reaction score
Hello gentleman, what would be in your opinion the 5 most classic (wanted) styles of Edward green and the respective leather?

here is my list not in order (could be reviewed):

1 - Galway 82 doak+cc
2 - Dover 606 doak
3- Chelsea 82 black (unsure)
4 - Shannon 82 burgundy antique (unsure if Shannon or Nevis)
5 - Dover 202 in tobacco.

2 boots, 1 oxford, 2 derbies.
Doubts: two similar styles (dover) could be replaced by another suede model (cardiff?)

what are your thoughts?

1. Galway 82 Dark Oak / Walnaut CC
2. Malvern 82 Edwardian
3. Chelsea 202 Black
4. Dover 606 Burgundy Utah
5. Monk on 888 last

parkman24

Reaction score

Wow that was some great feedback... thanks!

While it may be a great opportunity to try the shoes of other top notch makers, EG has been great so far. I think sticking with the mentality of "don't fix what isn't broken" is best haha. If the shoes are amazingly comfortable, the quality of the leather/construction is phenomenal, and the designs fit my sense of style and appeal, there is no need to expand the brand!

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I have too many shoes when I have a pair of dark oak Dovers (82) and haven't worn them in about 9 months.:uhoh:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a wiser man than I on these threads once said..."buy the shoe, not the brand"
I would say..."buy the shoe that fits you extremely well, not the brand". But if you want to test some other premium brands you better test most of their lasts and be completely sure that fit is great. I did so with JL (just 1 last out of 4 fits me great) and EG (just 1 last out of 4 tested ), my most expensive shoes. Do not be in a hurry and take your time to test most of them. I must add EG 606 last fits me like a glove and the 202 last is not good enough to pay that money. Just my .2 cents.

cypi2

Reaction score
I would say..."buy the shoe that fits you extremely well, not the brand". But if you want to test some other premium brands you better test most of their lasts and be completely sure that fit is great. [...] Do not be in a hurry and take your time to test most of them. [...]
@Zapasman is so right!

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was fit by Philip Car of St. Crispin with slight modifications to an existing last. The fit of the resulting shoes borders on absolute perfection.

Don't let one perpetual whiner distort your perception of the brand.

EG, G&G and St. Crispin's all produce highly desirable shoes and boots.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was fit by Philip Car of St. Crispin with slight modifications to an existing last. The fit of the resulting shoes borders on absolute perfection.

I also think it depends on the leather and sole you choose. On my StC I got a really thick grain and a double sole so that takes more breaking in than some smooth calf on a single leather sole. I do think that StC ranks higher than GG for me but EG is my number 1

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes Rog but EG is still the best!

;) j/k

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads