• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cezinho

Reaction score

Hello,
I'm looking to get my first pair of Edward Green, in either Last 82 or 888. I plan to buy online, and No local store carry this brand to try on. So, I need you Edward Green expert s help me to identify the right size.

Most of my shoes size experiences are from Alden: Barrie and Trubalance: 8.5D, Aberdeen, Plaza and Van: 9D. I only have very little experience with lower end British shoes. I had Grenson and Alfred Sargent in UK 8, not sure the last, but they fit well. I’m wearing some Brooks brothers peal & Co made in UK shoes (not sure maker and last) in US 8.5D/UK 7.5D. They are very comfortable. I also had little inconsistent experience with Italian brands. I wore Alexander for Borrelli Napoli at UK 7. UK 7.5 for Santoni FAM and A.testoni.
In general, I fall between US 8.5 and 9, width is D or slightly wider. Slightly high in-step (I know I’m not very comfortable with Alden Van last penny loafer).

My question: which size to choose, UK 7.5 or UK 8, for Edward Green in Last 82 and 888? Width E or F?

Thank you very much for your help!

I am 8.5d and 9d in Van (although not comfortable and eventually a bit short too) and I am 8.5E on 82. One of my best fitting shoes.

Good luck

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello,
I'm looking to get my first pair of Edward Green, in either Last 82 or 888. I plan to buy online, and No local store carry this brand to try on. So, I need you Edward Green expert s help me to identify the right size.

Most of my shoes size experiences are from Alden: Barrie and Trubalance: 8.5D, Aberdeen, Plaza and Van: 9D. I only have very little experience with lower end British shoes. I had Grenson and Alfred Sargent in UK 8, not sure the last, but they fit well. I’m wearing some Brooks brothers peal & Co made in UK shoes (not sure maker and last) in US 8.5D/UK 7.5D. They are very comfortable. I also had little inconsistent experience with Italian brands. I wore Alexander for Borrelli Napoli at UK 7. UK 7.5 for Santoni FAM and A.testoni.
In general, I fall between US 8.5 and 9, width is D or slightly wider. Slightly high in-step (I know I’m not very comfortable with Alden Van last penny loafer).

My question: which size to choose, UK 7.5 or UK 8, for Edward Green in Last 82 and 888? Width E or F?

Thank you very much for your help!

You are the same size as me, and I take a UK 8 in EG.

willsgillen

Reaction score
Some of you may recall my post from about 2 weeks ago regarding what appear to be wrinkles on the quarters f my brand new Dovers. I sent them to EG for a "refinish" and here is how they came back... What do you think?

Some of the original pics:

Last edited:

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of you may recall my post from about 2 weeks ago regarding what appear to be wrinkles on the quarters f my brand new Dovers. I sent them to EG for a "refinish" and here is how they came back... What do you think?

I think they made it worse just to F with you.

Photos can make things appear worse at times, but how difficult is it to send another pair and mark those as seconds to keep a customer happy?

urban

Reaction score
Disappointing to say the least. I hope my EG (my 1st) which is on the way does not end up like this.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disappointing to say the least. I hope my EG (my 1st) which is on the way does not end up like this.
Personally I think it's always best to go thru a retailer rather than directly thru the shoemaker in most cases.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks worse than it originally did. I'd send it back and demand either a new pair of defect free shoes or a refund. If they won't play ball with you, fight it through your cc company.

urban

Reaction score
Personally I think it's always best to go thru a retailer rather than directly thru the shoemaker in most cases.

As do I.

EG online shop strangely does not deduct VAT for sales outside of UK. This is totally baffling. The only positive thing is that they carry a very wide range available for sale.

puffy

Reaction score
I'd send them back, too. Truth be told, I have found EG nasty to deal with. Especially the little red headed turd that works (or worked?) at their Jermyn St shop agitated me when I once had to drop off a pair for a resole.

Faster

Reaction score
I'd send them back, too. Truth be told, I have found EG nasty to deal with. Especially the little red headed turd that works (or worked?) at their Jermyn St shop agitated me when I once had to drop off a pair for a resole.
That's too bad... Silly entitlement. Specially when retailers like Skoak are just a pleasure to deal with

Faster

Reaction score
As do I.

EG online shop strangely does not deduct VAT for sales outside of UK. This is totally baffling. The only positive thing is that they carry a very wide range available for sale.
I wrote to the them about this, mostly curious. I got the run around, like if they were avoiding the question.

puffy

Reaction score
I wrote to the them about this, mostly curious. I got the run around, like if they were avoiding the question.

UK retailers can pocket the VAT difference using something called "flat rate scheme". As a business, Limited Company, you might register for VAT at 8-20%, all depending on your line of business.

You charge your customers and clients 20% on services and goods, but only pay back HMRC the fixed rate at which you are registered at. I would think a manufacturer like EG is registered at 10-12%.

As a business you then pocket the VAT difference - extra and free profit!

The scheme is for businesses with less than GBP150k in turnover, however, there are many ways around this.

Obviously if EG sold ex VAT, there would be NO difference to keep. Essentially taking you for a ride.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads