• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Isn't JM Weston still using a full leather insole with leather holdfast on some models? I think they are more or less then only ones doing it still (wasn't that uncommon in the early years of Goodyear welting if I'm correctly informed). Might be done in a different way than what G&G tried to do though.

@Handmadeshoes I think that the 890 looks better than 888 (I like to call 888 Tony's failed version of MH71
smile.gif
), and sounds reasonable that they want something "own". All good for me if they exchange 888 for 890, just need to try the 890 in F-width and see how it fits me.

i think so yes but that is just hearsay from what others have told me....nothing concrete

So are they handwelting or or using machines?

Do the lines of JM Westons seem coarse to your eye? Just curious...

JM Weston still employs the original Goodyear-welting method on some of their models as shown in this video (Not JM Weston's):

This is how Goodyear-welting was originally done, by cutting and turning a thin leather holdfast, and reinforcing it with a sheet of canvas. I'm sure the insoles were slightly thicker than modern GY-welted shoes, since they had to have enough to cut and turn, but they were obviously not as thick as a hand-welted insole.

Gemming as we know it today didn't come along until sometime around the 2nd World War.

They also employ modern gemming on some models.

Here is a photo that is from JM Weston, showing the original (old) GY-welting insoles:

The reinforcement role of the canvas is evidenced here as well, just in case you didn't watch the video.

Last edited:

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get in on the Leffot sale Sunday/Monday? I was able to get these EG Falkirks at 30% off.....

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better solution...just get Zug
smile.gif
. Speaking of maybe leaves could advise us as to an expected date?

Here a Zug, there a Zug, everywhere a Zug.

Zug, Zug, Zug, Zug, Zug, Zug, Zug........................................................................................................
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Anyone else get in on the Leffot sale Sunday/Monday? I was able to get these EG Falkirks at 30% off.....

No, but apparently I would have made out better if I was 1/2 size larger. Nice score!

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Moose, those are wonderful. Enjoy them.

Thanks Gyasih, I was debating buying them for a couple of months, but at 30% off and my size in stock, I felt it was providence.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting video, thank you for sharing and lets hope that 90% of the general public start buying shoes made like this! My God! do not ask what I see on most mens feet these days whenever I travel to the city.

Those EG Falkirks are lovely MoosicPA.

JM Weston still employs the original Goodyear-welting method on some of their models as shown in this video (Not JM Weston's):

This is how Goodyear-welting was originally done, by cutting and turning a thin leather holdfast, and reinforcing it with a sheet of canvas.  I'm sure the insoles were slightly thicker than modern GY-welted shoes, since they had to have enough to cut and turn, but they were obviously not as thick as a hand-welted insole. 

Gemming as we know it today didn't come along until sometime around the 2nd World War. 

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you wear your CC in the rain?

In light rain, sometimes, yes. But never in extreme weather. I dont have any EGs that I'd like to use in extreme weather - they are way too expensive and delicate for that IMO. Instead I use high hiking boots, cordovan boots and/or C&J Coniston.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I think you get 10% off your first order if you sign up for their email list... or maybe they might take off the VAT for you as your outside the EU zone.

Thanks to @CharlesQ, I decided to jump on these yesterday. Yes the 10% does work. This was the exact makeup I was about to have MTO'd. Finally got in touch with someone over there via phone when an email went unanswered. Glad I called. Sorry for the huge pic!

100762_1.jpg

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ @Tifosi. Dayyyuuuuum. Those are awesome. So I have to ask you this -- (1) how much was the damage after the discount and VAT, and (2) how did you decide to size these? Did you drop a whole size from Brannock on the 64 last or a half size?

Last edited:

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @CharlesQ , I decided to jump on these yesterday. Yes the 10% does work. This was the exact makeup I was about to have MTO'd. Finally got in touch with someone over there via phone when an email went unanswered. Glad I called. Sorry for the huge pic!

What width fitting do they stock, out of curiosity? For some reason, I remember them only carrying Fs or something wide. Cheers.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

^ @Tifosi.  Dayyyuuuuum.  Those are awesome.  So I have to ask you this -- (1) how much was the damage after the discount and VAT, and (2) how did you decide to size these?  Did you drop a whole size from Brannock on the 64 last or a half size?  

Buda, $990.48 out the door. I am sticking with the same size for all the other EG lasts. 1/2 from Brannock so I ordered the UK8.

What width fitting do they stock, out of curiosity?  For some reason, I remember them only carrying Fs or something wide.  Cheers. 

These are F64. I'd want some extra room in these for their intended usage. No dress socks in these!

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buda, $990.48 out the door. I am sticking with the same size for all the other EG lasts. 1/2 from Brannock so I ordered the UK8.
These are F64. I'd want some extra room in these for their intended usage. No dress socks in these!

This is a great style. I suppose now is the time to scoop up ready to wear stock of any styles you like, perhaps even during late summer sales, if you can wait. The recently announced price increases and policy changes are interesting at best.

Also, when did Top Drawer become so damn expensive, lol? Glad I am not really in the market for much of this stuff these days. I expect EG will re-introduce a bespoke service yet again. Cheers gentlemen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads