• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chowkin

Reaction score
A little bit of history of Edward Green from an interview of Andrew Murphy who's now with Foster & Son:

My next step was when I left New & Lingwood to start the Edward Green brand of ready to wear for retail. Edward Green was a shoe manufacturer, they’d never run their own store. So in 1991, when John Hlustik was the owner of Edward Green and he decided that he wanted to start a retail business, everybody around said: "Don’t do it, you are manufacturer, you don’t know anything about retail. It will fail, what you are doing is crazy!" Edward Green was the first factory with its own shop in London. Of course, I knew John Hlustik from my time in New & Lingwood and told him that I’d help him to open the store. There were three of us, John Hlustik, the owner, me and another guy, and we opened the first store in 1991, when I was 23. Nobody had heard of Edward Green and customers would ask: "Who are you? Where do you come from?" We explained that we were manufacturers with a Northampton factory that had been in existence for more than 100 years, that we had never had a shop before and that we made lovely and beautiful shoes. And people said: "Well, yes, they are quite nice". And, slowly, slowly, we were educating people about who we were.

In those days there was no Internet, no social media, you couldn’t advertise for free. If you advertised you had to pay lots of money to magazines and other publications and that was not an option for us. So we worked by word of mouth. Customers came in and we talked to them. They might buy shoes, they might not. In those early days we might sell two or three pairs of shoes a week, and every pair of shoes we sold was a true victory for us, we celebrated like we’d won a cup. Like any business, we had to start with tiny steps, from nothing to something. As we started people slowly began to understand the brand and the shoes, they realized it was a high-quality product and we went from there, from strength to strength. So we opened two more stores - one at Jermyn Street, one at the Arcade. Today Edward Green has one store at Jermyn Street and they have great brand and a great product. Edward Green sell their shoes around the world, they came from that humble beginning, as a retail store, and just take a look at where they are now. Now they are very well known in the market place. I stayed until 2000 when I left to work with John Carnera again.

http://www.pennyyard.com/#!andrew-murphy-interview-eng/ck1l

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone here compare the Galway on 64 compared to the 202? Trying to decide on an MTO an unsure which last to choose. Thanks!

I would get the 202 every day of the week and twice on Sunday before the 64. But that's just me.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@pandaologist I really like the 202, but as I understood it would cost 1,080 GBP with a MTO surcharge ..

We can purchase the Galway right away on 64 last for a 670 GBP ..

I'm just not sure whether or not I really want the 202 last for 400 GBP / 700 USD more ..

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I would get the 202 every day of the week and twice on Sunday before the 64. But that's just me.

I'm after the Galway in 202. Want to see if we can get some sort of GMTO?

@pandaologist
I really like the 202, but as I understood it would cost 1,080 GBP with a MTO surcharge ..

We can purchase the Galway right away on 64 last for a 670 GBP ..

I'm just not sure whether or not I really want the 202 last for 400 GBP / 700 USD more .. 

According to the new EG price list, the Galway is actually available on the 202 last. Had not noticed before to be honest.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Leaves Great News! What would be the price via skoaktiebolaget? What colors are available?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

According to the new EG price list, the Galway is actually available on the 202 last. Had not noticed before to be honest.

:slayer:

Patrik, THANK YOU so much for both your and Gabriel's assistance! Ordered placed this morning for 2 Galways! I am quite excited

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

@Leaves
Great News! What would be the price via skoaktiebolaget? What colors are available?

Please e-mail us for a quote [email protected] . You can make it up in any color you like if you make a MTO.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Patrik, THANK YOU so much for both your and Gabriel's assistance! Ordered placed this morning for 2 Galways! I am quite excited
Deets on the Galways? Did you go in with 3 for the Doak w/walnut CC on 82 last?

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Leaves I have a confusion. Please clarify for us interested in 202 last.

Does the group of 3 pairs of Galways in Dark Oak/Walnut CC refers to a 82 or 202 last?

As I understood 2 pairs in mentioned color/leather are already paid for, one more is needed. But are they on a 82 last or 202 last?

Last edited:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

@Leaves
I have a confusion. Please clarify for us interested in 202 last.

Does the group of 3 pairs of Galways in Dark Oak/Walnut CC refers to a 82 or 202 last?

As I understood 2 pairs in mentioned color/leather are already paid for, one more is needed. But are they on a 82 last or 202 last?

I'm not sure I understand. All I'm saying is that, with the new price list, Galway is possible to do on the 202. Before it was 82 and 64 only.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Leaves Sent you a PM. After contacting your department I was informed that 202 is not available as a stock model. Only as a MTO.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@Leaves
Sent you a PM. After contacting your department I was informed that 202 is not available as a stock model. Only as a MTO.

I think that is exactly what Leaves is saying. 202 still isnt stock. But you can get it via MTO. Before you couldn't.

Last edited:

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aha, well, my fault then. I thought those were the old news now .. Thought it could be purchased as a stock model like an 82 or 64 last in a certain color ..

Could we make a group of 3 pair and pay the 202 last as a stock model? Like you are doing with the 82 last?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads