• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage for my Galways.

1000014088.jpg

1000014090.jpg

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks a lot! However, from my google research this morning it seems that the Montpellier and the Barksdale are still the only full strap loafers? It's the full strap design I'm after, but a (full) split toe would be icing on the cake.

Interesting info on the snugness of 100 and 101. I recently read that they would be much more accommodating do wide feet with high instep than the 184 - but maybe that's not the case? I don't own any EG loafers yet, so I'm quite keen on getting the fit right, especially when going MTO and in crup.

Thanks a lot!
My experience with RLPL Barksdale is that 100/101 last is narrower and has a lower instep than 184 on which have a couple of other RLPL loafers.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm investigating weather I can do a GMTO in dark brown cordovan (cognac crup), possibly on the 184. Interested?
Skin stitch was not available in cordovan (crup) in the past.

What you are essentially ordering as a MTO is a Montpellier in crup. Drake’s has stocked this model recently, as have EG. No need for a MTO.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skin stitch was not available in cordovan (crup) in the past.

What you are essentially ordering as a MTO is a Montpellier in crup. Drake’s has stocked this model recently, as have EG. No need for a MTO.

Interesting info on the reluctance to do skin stitch in cordovan. However, apart from the skin stitch the Barksdale seems to have a fuller strap than the Montpellier so not completely similar, and the Barksdale also has a heel stitch. Would have loved to get the version from Drake's though, but alas I need F width.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads