• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting in my annual wear of the burgundy utah Alderley from Gentleman's footwear. Wonderful boots which I need to wear more often. These are a perfect fit with medium weight boot socks
PXL_20240106_162743059.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20240106_162716210.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha! Probably so. I just counted that I have 24 dress shoes (including 9 Edward Green, 2 bespoke Lattanzi, 1 bespoke Jason Amesbury, 1 MTM Ferragamo, 1 MTM Santoni) and eight pairs of running and trail shoes.

That is quite a lot of EG shoes in fact. 24 pairs of shoes is one shy of where I think people should be. Of course, I do not practice what I preach as I have many more than that, but 25 (to me) is an ideal number.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
That is quite a lot of EG shoes in fact. 24 pairs of shoes is one shy of where I think people should be. Of course, I do not practice what I preach as I have many more than that, but 25 (to me) is an ideal number.

To be honest, my investment has been slowed by how casual my work has become. The PE world is very casual these days. Honestly, I wish I had bought far fewer ties. Some are Kiton seven folds that I just can’t part with.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, my investment has been slowed by how casual my work has become. The PE world is very casual these days. Honestly, I wish I had bought far fewer ties. Some are Kiton seven folds that I just can’t part with.

I agree with you in that regard. Well I agree with transitioning to more casual footwear. That is where I find my most recent shoe purchases have been from, the casual side of things.

Denar78

Reaction score
Oops, where does this benchmark come from? I’m close to the 50 mark (despite recent sales on second hand platforms) and still diligently eying private sales at EG, C&J et al 😬😬😬

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops, where does this benchmark come from? I’m close to the 50 mark (despite recent sales on second hand platforms) and still diligently eying private sales at EG, C&J et al 😬😬😬

When asked privately on the forum or outside of here in the real world, I am often asked how many shoes is too much. I always say 25 is more than enough, or more than anyone requires (sneakers are excluded from the number). So not a benchmark.. an opinion.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When asked privately on the forum or outside of here in the real world, I am often asked how many shoes is too much. I always say 25 is more than enough, or more than anyone requires (sneakers are excluded from the number). So not a benchmark.. an opinion.
I had a girl, who’s first thing she said when she entered my place, say “you have more shoes than I do” - that’s when I started wondering if I had a problem. Since then, I must confess, I haven’t ordered as many shoes.

But, I don’t think those 2 events are related - I just ran out of shoes I actually wanted, other than doubling up on the same model

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember the good 'ol days when I could count how many shoes I owned with two hands. Probably used more of my shoes more often as well.
This. I am at 24 not counting sneakers and will probably add a few more. I do think I would rather trim the collection down to 6 - 10 though. Nicer to use nicer footwear more than have a lot of nice footwear you hardly use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads