• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thomas_M

Reaction score
Guys, I need your opinion.
I have received those beauties: Unlined Dover 202 in mink.
I finally decided to grab this classic makeup since I am so happy with my 606 country calf.

Do you think the apron looks fine?
I was so excited to unpack them... then I was a bit meh when I looked at the apron.
It doesn't feel right.
I was expecting a beautiful pie crust apron and it is just kind of falls flat. The leather almost come up vertically at certain places.

I know it is suede and it will be less visible especially the toe but still.
Looking at pictures online, it does not look this drastic.

Mine are on the outside of the picture.
Pictures from EG website in the center.

Cheers

EG Mink suede 202 Dover.png

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the same thoughts about the last couple of Dovers i purchased. I think only the smooth calfskin Dover models can achieve that pie crust texture. Suede, forget about it, it won't show and i have several to prove it. Even on the printed leather (london grain and utah) it doesn't really show up. The only dover that shows a very obvious pie crust apron is my DOAK 606. I spoke to the retailer I purchased my EGs from and was told that it is the way it is, nothing wrong with QC.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally decided to grab this classic makeup since I am so happy with my 606 country calf.

I was so excited to unpack them... then I was a bit meh when I looked at the apron.
It doesn't feel right.
I was expecting a beautiful pie crust apron and it is just kind of falls flat. The leather almost come up vertically at certain places.

Cheers

View attachment 1850862
I think they look fine. You’re never gonna get a proper pie crust on suede - in fact, I think yours look fairly consistent with the website photo. Pair to pair though, you’re bound to see variation in this given it’s all hand-sewn.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It doesn't feel right.

Cheers

View attachment 1850862
Glad you picked those up they are a great pair! Agreed with the other two commenters, that's unfortunately how it goes with suede. I have some Zug Dovers and the pie crust texture is lacking as well. I think it's hard to pull off with anything other than calf skin for the most part.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It doesn't feel right.

Cheers

View attachment 1850862
They're fine. This stitching is done by hand. One dude. That's it. No two pairs are identical. Enjoy your shoes.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score

It doesn't feel right.

Cheers

View attachment 1850862

I agree with what was said above about suede and pie crust. I would add however that I saw video by Wi Shoeguy recently and according him there are 3 persons that do handsewn stitching at EG and each of them does use different technique with different results. He was disappointed with apron of one of his Dovers as well:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am admittedly an EG neophyte but I’ve looked a few times and enjoyed the video and I can’t see the difference. From the context I assume the apron is the stitching on the top of the shoe but they look almost identical to me. What makes one preferred over the other?

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I am admittedly an EG neophyte but I’ve looked a few times and enjoyed the video and I can’t see the difference. From the context I assume the apron is the stitching on the top of the shoe but they look almost identical to me. What makes one preferred over the other?
I did the screenshots from the video, the aprons are fairly different. At the end it is an aesthetic choice, but I much prefer the "traditional pie crust" apron on the Utah (chestnut) pair.

apron 01.jpg

apron 02.jpg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhhhh, now I see. For some reason. The pie crust light bulb just went on. Thanks for the close-up. That did it for me.

of course, I wouldn’t have otherwise noticed but given my recent acquisition, I went back and checked. I would have been thrilled either way as it is a splendid shoe but it does appear as though mine have the pie crust thingy going on……….

61A0B3FF-98D6-475A-A529-7210CF280862.jpeg

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes it is a very stark difference. I can't be bothered to stir up the pot with retailers about the difference in texture of the pie crust. Just wear my shoes and enjoy them.

Jayb1960

Reaction score
I had the same thoughts about the last couple of Dovers i purchased. I think only the smooth calfskin Dover models can achieve that pie crust texture. Suede, forget about it, it won't show and i have several to prove it. Even on the printed leather (london grain and utah) it doesn't really show up. The only dover that shows a very obvious pie crust apron is my DOAK 606. I spoke to the retailer I purchased my EGs from and was told that it is the way it is, nothing wrong with QC.
I just bought a pair of Dovers in London grain. The pie crust is not the profound

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's been discussed before but do you find that your EG suede gets quite hairy with use? Hard to describe but it's like little white hairs sticking out from the nap. After wearing my mink Piccadillies a few times (and brushing them with a suede crepe brush when they got dirty and dusty), there was quite a lot of that and it doesn't reduce with wear or more brushing.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's been discussed before but do you find that your EG suede gets quite hairy with use? Hard to describe but it's like little white hairs sticking out from the nap. After wearing my mink Piccadillies a few times (and brushing them with a suede crepe brush when they got dirty and dusty), there was quite a lot of that and it doesn't reduce with wear or more brushing.
i think i get what you mean. i have a pair of clove suede dover and it has that "hairy" effect you speak of. perhaps it's the "highest quality" nature of the suede EG gets? lol

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think i get what you mean. i have a pair of clove suede dover and it has that "hairy" effect you speak of. perhaps it's the "highest quality" nature of the suede EG gets? lol
It is slightly hard to photograph but here's a couple of attempts.
IMG_8078.JPG

IMG_8077.JPG

I am pretty sure I've seen other people have the same 'issue' on EG so it makes me think it's a feature of the suede they use. Besides that, the skins are buttery soft and have great colour depth. Certainly a lot higher quality than my beater brown suede Loakes which don't really have this issue despite the apparent difference in quality.

It is quite annoying though, I do find it unsightly.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xlagane