• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dench127

Reaction score
I visited Drake's on Saville Row today to have a look at the Dover in the 505 last. Pretty meh in my opinion, certainly not my cup of tea.
View attachment 1695139
View attachment 1695140
View attachment 1695141

Very rounded, deep toe-box that I think loses a bit of versatility, unlike 202 for example. Got more pics if anyone's interested.
I think it's quite good. It matches the casualness of the material. Shape is easier to wear with denim than the 606. I see the 202 as a pretty elegant last as well.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's quite good. It matches the casualness of the material. Shape is easier to wear with denim than the 606. I see the 202 as a pretty elegant last as well.
I agree, think about Drake's with their Crosby boot. It definitely fits perfectly with their aesthetic but I feel the same as @te0o it's not really my cup of tea

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sixstringsmash

Reaction score
I visited Drake's on Saville Row today to have a look at the Dover in the 505 last. Pretty meh in my opinion, certainly not my cup of tea.
View attachment 1695139
View attachment 1695140
View attachment 1695141

Very rounded, deep toe-box that I think loses a bit of versatility, unlike 202 for example. Got more pics if anyone's interested.

I agree with the others that definitely is not the best look for the dover. I do however think something like a big and chunky LWB would probably look great on that last!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1695139
View attachment 1695140
View attachment 1695141

Yeah, not a huge fan of this last, or the grain, for the Dover. I think the Dover is more elegant in other lasts and I think grain doesn't suit the shoe, given its elegance.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some shell today
20211030_095735.jpg

Sutefan

Reaction score
Yeah, not a huge fan of this last, or the grain, for the Dover. I think the Dover is more elegant in other lasts and I think grain doesn't suit the shoe, given its elegance.
Dover is one of those models that work great in both grains and smooth leathers. For me, it will always be a business casual kind of shoe, that you may dress up or down, and make up in leathers depending on the climate you're in.
I wear dark oak when it's dry, or grains/suedes when it's rainy (or I just want the more casual look).
Seen 7 year old Dovers in rosewood cc, being worn through 7 Norwegian winters of slush and snow, looking pristine to this day. That's the beauty of a good grain to me.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

steveabdn

Reaction score
And let me guess, that Dainite studded sole is no worse for wear

I wish my Dainite lasted like that, I replaced the leather sole on my Galway's with Dainite and had them serviced by EG to be more in keeping with the requirements I had for the boots. I've worn them maybe 40 or 50 times since then and there's obvious wear to the soles

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish my Dainite lasted like that, I replaced the leather sole on my Galway's with Dainite and had them serviced by EG to be more in keeping with the requirements I had for the boots. I've worn them maybe 40 or 50 times since then and there's obvious wear to the soles
Really?!? Mind posting up some pics?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads