• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CTBrummie

Reaction score

Is anyone producing rtw offerings using zug and veldt construction? I saw a trickers boot however it was not veldt.

I don't think so at the moment. Tricker's haven't made veldts for well over a decade. Cheaney make the Pennine boot, Fiennes boot and Cairngorn shoe in a very robust country calf which feels like it will take a beating but it's not zug...

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zug leather was developed in the Swiss town of Zug.

Die difference between Zug leather and any old grain leather, was the fact that the thrifty Swiss introduced some waste product of the Swiss chocolate industry (cocoa molasses, or whatever it was) into the tanning or finishing process. So traditionally Zug leather had a nice chocolate smell.

Whether modern Zug leather still comes from Switzerland and uses chocolate in it's formula, I doubt somehow.

Fascinating - thanks much.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Fuether to the above, I've never been sure about the authenticity of that story of the origin of zug although I have no proof to the contrary!

The classic boots were made with a leather known as Martin zug from the Bridge of Wear tannery, if I remember correctly.

cyeogh

Reaction score
Need some advice.

Purchased a pair of Edward Green Picadilly loafers last month in a UK 6E. The fit is fine although after several hours of wear my right feet hurts at the top of the right shoe vamp, no issues with the left feet. Any recommendations on what I should do and if a cobbler can stretch the right shoe?

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Need some advice.

Purchased a pair of Edward Green Picadilly loafers last month in a UK 6E.  The fit is fine although after several hours of wear my right feet hurts at the top of the right shoe vamp, no issues with the left feet.  Any recommendations on what I should do and if a cobbler can stretch the right shoe?

Congratulations on your new shoes, I would leave it and if after about a dozen wears it does not feel comfortable then you may want to take it to a cobbler for stretching but I have myself do not prefer this method.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Marvelous, I'm extremely impressed. That's yet another reason we need to do the rough out Galway in heather gorse/suede – so we something to enjoy for the rest of our lives and eventually pass on to our sons, ha!

I have owned a pair of Galway boots in Zug/ heather gorse/ – if this is what EG call Zug the leather has a dull matt waxy sort of a Finnish and a hint of red. The leather did soften up very well after a while, It would be interesting to know what colour suede are you going to match the boots which?

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great photo, thanks! I think it looks very promising. We're thinking some shade of brown might work, but we'll probably have to see some swatches in the flesh to make sure which one, since the heather gorse is such a distinct colour. Also blue could work, and no doubt red berry suede, but I reckon the red would be a bit too flash and fashion forward for a die hard country boot.

Cheers,
SKM

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interested. cost?

We have no idea yet since we have to work out the exact design, and if we should deal with it through Skoak or directly through EG. But we're not in a rush – as long as they're ready for next winter season it should be fine. Please PM me if you're still interested and I'll put you on the list.

Cheers,
SKM

Last edited:

cwh812

Reaction score

We have no idea yet since we have to work out the exact design, and if we should deal with it through Skoak or directly through EG. But we're not in a rush – as long as they're ready for next winter season it should be fine. Please PM me if you're still interested and I'll put you on the list.

Cheers,
SKM

Potentially interested based upon finalized/chosen colors and other details.

Last edited:

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Potentially interested based upon finalized/chosen colors and other details.

That's great, please PM me so I won't forget you once we have settled on the details of the boot. As of now six members have shown interest, so I think it looks very promising for the project.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Does anyone prefer an all heather gorse (zug) Galway boot for a potential group MTO? I am contemplating something possibly more like the classic (without suede). Otherwise, it could be the same: 64 last, ridgeway sole, possible shearling lined shaft, likely E fitting. What do interested parties think? Please advise and PM, if you think these details attractive and suitable. Cheers.

Last edited:

VegTan

Reaction score
What is Zug, exactly?? Is it something other than simple?pebble grain leather?

Zug leather was developed in the Swiss town of Zug.

Die difference between Zug leather and any old grain leather, was the fact that the thrifty Swiss introduced some waste product of the Swiss chocolate industry (cocoa molasses, or whatever it was) into the tanning or finishing process. So traditionally Zug leather had a nice chocolate smell.

Whether modern Zug leather still comes from Switzerland and uses chocolate in it's formula, I doubt somehow.

AFAIK, Zug was Scottish tannery W & J Martin's trademark. Just like Nettleton's trademark Loafer, it is now a generic name.
http://www.trademarkia.com/zug-wj-martin-72285033.html

c59330f9.jpg

f3a19a83.jpg

0495e036.jpg

http://www.aacrack.co.uk/catalogue.asp?product_id=52
A classic Horween leather here at A & A Crack & Sons Ltd. A heavy weight waxed leather drum stuffed from steer hides with the original 'Martins grain' known traditionally as 'Zug'

England tannery William Paul also made scotch grain leather and named it Beva.

http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/history/bwpages/21.htm

Made of waterproof Beva leather, this boot has been evolved after considerable experiment, and incorporates the best principles of the French and Swiss designs.
75090fd1.png

Here is a recipe for Zug and Beva.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Love the concept, but I'm afraid I have different preferences for a number of details. 1) prefer double dainite soles 2) prefer 82 last in an E width (though I wouldn't rule out another last if I could arrive at a point of reasonable reassurance as to likely fit. I know a 9E 82 will work 100%). 3) any lind of shearling lining is a deal-breaker. I have very warm feet. ;-) Also - is this something you are contemplating running on your own, or through a vendor?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads