• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

papado

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here. Was just wondering regarding EG loafers.. i am stuck in between the 137 Duke and 184 Ventnor unlined. After reading through many pages, some says the 137 fits slightly wider some say not. Is there a large different between these two lasts? Also the Ventnor is in suede, therefore it should be easier to stretch? Looking at both in UK10. Thanks!

I found the 137 has a much higher instep in my experience; so much so I had to sell my Duke loafers because they slip off my feet. I didn't feel like the 137 was much wider than 184 and almost felt it was a little narrower near the ball of the foot but still an overall rounder/less pointy silhouette.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taken on the finest of British public transport

CB86F1BA-FC61-4D6C-874C-1CF9EB70748B.jpeg

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have pair, they look great on foot casually. buy.
Do you have any other Dovers apart from the London Grain? I tried them on the other day in the same size as my DOAK and I found them to fit noticeable looser, especially on the instep. I assume due to the nature of the leather, shoes on London Grain arelasted more loosely than calf. Wondering if you've experienced the same on yours.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have several pairs. DOAK, country calf, clove suede, mink suede, london grain. suede fits most comfortable hugging, the others are more stiff comparably speaking.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have several pairs. DOAK, country calf, clove suede, mink suede, london grain. suede fits most comfortable hugging, the others are more stiff comparably speaking.
Thanks, that’s useful!

If you compare your DOAK to London Grain, do you find any difference between them at all?

I am trying to figure out if the larger volume I felt on London Grain was just an exception or rather the rule here.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok I will put them on and report back here.
i rarely wear the doak, so keep this little data point in mind. i wear the london grain more ever since wfh.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t get to hang out too often in the high-rollers club but after over 2 years of ownership, these Dovers finally get to sip a little concrete. Took great pains to match my outfit to the elevator carpet……

D5EF556F-03D0-4C72-8522-341B03E95FFA.jpeg
A015FC2D-2A04-477F-B480-57611FF93D4A.jpeg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t get to hang out too often in the high-rollers club but after over 2 years of ownership, these Dovers finally get to sip a little concrete. Took great pains to match my outfit to the elevator carpet……

View attachment 1764432 View attachment 1764433
Are these the pair you dyed? If so, they turned out fantastic! I've been trying to figure out how to wear my one pair of black split toes and I think you just solved it for me, so thanks!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these the pair you dyed? If so, they turned out fantastic! I've been trying to figure out how to wear my one pair of black split toes and I think you just solved it for me, so thanks!

Good memory and yes, these are those. I am quite pleased with the results. Thanks!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another entry for the high-rollers. These are my initial foray into EG’s based on solid advice from @oskrusa. Being an EG neophyte, I always assumed all makes were dressy. Once I got beyond that , these have become my 2nd most worn boots and my crappy weather go-to. Pumping gas and relaxing at the coffee shop…

7862C055-2250-4F09-B709-91D1C38B8BAE.jpeg
2C9BD27B-693B-43F6-820D-17184B7DDADF.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads