• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. Aren’t these half off? That’s a great price.

I find Edward Green’s Utah leather to be the best “hatchgrain” leather amongst top makers. Most others including G&G, St Crispins, Zonkey Boots use horween hatch grain which I find inferior to Utah leather.
EGs Utah is the imprinted version of delapre. Comes from a french tannery well known for waxy leathers. Perfect for autumn/winter, I'd say.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EGs Utah is the imprinted version of delapre. Comes from a french tannery well known for waxy leathers. Perfect for autumn/winter, I'd say.

That hasn't been my experience with two pairs of Utah Galways. About on par with regular crust leather for water resistance (as in, not very) and not nearly as good as other cheaper grain leathers for all weather wear.

Just luxuriously buttery soft, but not a real foul weather boot, IMO.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That hasn't been my experience with two pairs of Utah Galways. About on par with regular crust leather for water resistance (as in, not very) and not nearly as good as other cheaper grain leathers for all weather wear.

Just luxuriously buttery soft, but not a real foul weather boot, IMO.

I think it's rather easy to polish and keep in good shape. Nothing beats country calf for foul weather, though
Or actually, maybe zug?

papado

Reaction score
Need some assistance from y'all--what are some recommended non-EG brand shoe trees which fit well? Picked up the Inverness on sale (E888 last) to add to my collection and now need some trees!

There was a discussion a few pages back about how EG trees aren't worth their price (which I agree with as I do have a pair which came with my Galways) and said Skoak's would be fine. I tried my Skoak trees (size UK10) in my 10.5E shoes and they are definitely too large to fit in--do you guys size down/have any other suggested brands?

Thanks!

c21ban

Reaction score
An analogy that I use with some of my top agents is the “A” team. The others who are not quite at the level of the top ones are called the “B” team (however, management does not call them that to their faces ;) Still decent but not quite on the same level
A = first, B = second? I don’t think there is any secret code to it.

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3CFFF511-556E-4012-82F0-7DD64B63FAC2.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads