• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So what some are saying is that it's good to buy a newly designed chair at 1.8k, similar to the Eames but distinctly not a copy, but it's wrong to buy a definite Eames copy at 1.8k?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd be curious the peanut gallery's thoughts on knock offs that might not be as easily to discern the differences between them and an original as it may be with Eames Lounge Chair or the rather unfortunate wishbone chair Britney posted. Take something along the lines of a diamond or womb chair. Both of which use metal, padding and fabric in construction. If the maker manages to get the dimensions right and uses fabric and stitching of reasonable quality, I am not sure the average buyer would notice a difference worth the thousands more it would take to get the authentic piece. Putting the moral arguments aside.

I've got no real stake in this argument other then enjoying reading the thread.

suaviter

Reaction score
Could somebody give me the scoop on the architect hook up on an Eames chair?

As in how does it work. I have an architect lined up just want to make it as easy as possible on him (connection thru a friend).

Reader's digest ... trying to get a real one ASAP.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you really want to make it easy on him/her just pay the 15%.

If not, then call and ask.

lefty

Hotel Guy

Reaction score
I originally got a fake because I wanted the look, but then sold it to a friend and was able to get a hook-up on a new authentic one through a friend who was an architect. The difference is literally night and day. I couldn't be happier and know that i'll have this piece of furniture for a long long time, and its going to get old with me, and hopefully retain its value along the way. Even if it didn't, I wouldn't really care, I've had it for about a year now and its still getting broken in but gets more comfortable every month that passes. 95% of my friends have no idea what it is or how much it cost, but I think they get the picture when I freak out if they have their shoes on the ottoman or are eating/drinking/spill on it. Regardless, I love it.

There is a Herman Miller sale now to save a few hundred bucks on a new one.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't encourage doing so, but I've spilled stuff on mine to no real effect. Just clean quickly (like immediately).

I was woken up by catching my espresso in my lap that morning. Doesn't pay to nod off while holding a hot beverage....the chair was fine, however.

Easily my favorite chair to sit in. Most of my other chairs are Le corb and not uncomfortable...but not Eames....not even close.

suaviter

Reaction score
Could somebody give me the scoop on the architect hook up on an Eames chair?

As in how does it work. I have an architect lined up just want to make it as easy as possible on him (connection thru a friend).

Reader's digest ... trying to get a real one ASAP.

Thanks!!!

Gonna try this again.

Does anybody know what the architect discount is? In percentage terms?

Last day of HM 15% off sale.

DMartins

Reaction score
Well I finally after close to 2 years reading the various forums pulled the trigger on a reproduction. Couldn't resist the 20% off on Black Friday with Rove Concepts.

In my opinion it is just all perspective, someone can purchase a $700 cheap replica and be completely happy with it. I just can't justify $5000+ after shipping on the configuration I liked ( Black / rosewood) with Herman Miller.

I have sat on many many originals from the DWR store to a friends vintage Eames, Also sat on many replicas as well mostly cheap ones in retail stores. The biggest difference I would say are the way the leather is tufted, the angle of the chair and the flex.

The rove chair for me was the best price point for the quality and details, and I know they've improved as well through the years. They also have a detail sheet ( seen here ) on the coveted rubber shock mount used for their chairs. Only company I know at least that look to produce it exact to companies authorized by HM for repairs ( seen here )

Anyways, I'm happy with the fit and finish the chair was packaged well and came fully assembled. The Rove chair although one of the more expensive reproductions ticks all the boxes for me. Great soft italian leather, nice flex to the chair and the nice tufting of the cushions.

Here is the chair !

cnorm

Reaction score
Are you still happy with the IFN Eames? I realize there are rubber shock mounts that connect the back and bottom but are they aluminum plates that hold the arms on or are they plastic?

UncleNick

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with modern vs vintage chairs?

I'm looking at a vintage chair (walnut) in great shape with original invoice dated to 1972. The other one I'm considering (but haven't seen yet) is from 2006. It's a little more expensive, but appears to be brand new. Its a 50th anniversary edition (palisander rosewood), and the original owner states it's only been sat in a few times.

My main concern is worn out shock mounts on the older model.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The new chairs come in two sizes, so the vintage one could be smaller.

You can get replacement parts form them, so if the shocks are shot, you can just by new ones.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am seeking information of where I can find a knockoff Piochair. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys may find this amusing or sad.... I've had a Herman Miller eames lounge chair for around 6 years and it's travelled with me from NY to HK and now London....

Well my relocation shipment arrived this week and my chair now looks like this

Going through the painful insurance claim process now

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads