• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dying Leather Boots Because I'm Too Poor for Cdiems

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I'm never going to be able to drop $1000 on a pair of Carpe Diem boots but really want something similar. The buttero boots which some people think are similar are a bit too sleek and modern for what i'm looking for. I'm just curious if anyone has any advice or thoughts on what i plan on doing. If people think it'll work reasonably well, i'll probably do it when i come back from winter break in early january and post pics of the process, and before/after shots. I'm basically looking to get a pair of boots closest to this as possible:
l1000457mn8.jpg
l1000459jv9.jpg
The boots that i've found that seem like they would work the best are these (the same boots from different sites). If anyone has ideas on a boot that would work better i'd appreciate a link or something.
roughoutbootspx4.jpg
http://www.atthefront.com/ - Section: US->Footwear->Roughout Service Shoes http://www.lostbattalions.com/us/RoughoutBoots.html They're both reverse leather boots so i figure i could achieve a similar look with dye and leather laces. At the front has some black dye but i'm not sure how it looks.
gbootsdyekitru2.jpg
Tarrago also has a variety of color dyes available. I think black, or dark taupe grey would work the best from their site Color wheel Tarrago dye kits Seems like this would all cost me under $150. Any thoughts or better ideas? I bought a lottery ticket for the first time in awhile the other day. If i win, a mod can delete this thread
laugh.gif

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
I would purchase a fairly beat up pair of military boots. The kind that the toe box is starting to curl in a similar profile to the CD's.

Take some heavy sandpaper and apply all over the boots using a heavy and light application for contrast.

For the application of the dye I would apply the unconcentrated dye in some areas and mix with water in others to give an appearance of discoloration. You could also apply the dye with various textured tools, a sponge or large watercolor brush for example. It could be cool to apply a contrast color like brown or indigo first and let it dry, then go over with black.

Obviously results will vary according to your artistic strengths but you should have a go. Like I said start with some $10 surplus boots so you won't cry if you ******* up. Don't forget the buy some leather laces, not those $1.99 styles with plastic tips from the Quickie Mart or whatever they have in Florida and have a shoe guy apply a decent protective coating.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Yea, that's a great idea. Unfortunately, the thrift stores around here suck. I'll try to score some cheap ones on ebay. Thanks a lot for advice on the actual artistic parts, which is where i was most confused. I'll definitely try it on some cheap shoes first, even if they're not boots or my size. But just to test dying and distressing.

Would doing these techniques differ greatly from normal leather like most shoes i'll probably find on ebay/thrift stores from the reverse leather on the military boots/cdiems?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I've colored a pair of full grain boots before. It was pretty easy. There's also those suede Bed Stu boots that have that same kind of texture (that's what it looks like in the pictures, anyways) and a chunkier toe box than the Butteros.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, what Rye said basically, my suggestion was going to be to sandblast a pair of black leather boots and then wax them. I think it would turn out pretty similar to that, or at least cool in some way. BTW, there are a few boots on the Yoox sale (these for example) whose shape reminded me of this thread, but I have no idea on the quality. If it were me I'd probably start the experiment with my old Carolina jump boots since I never use them anymore.

BTW, part of the look of those is the hidden welt (if they are even welted) with very close cropped sole. You might lose that with the roughout ones you posted or most combat boots. The Frye Arkansas look pretty similar, though with a little thicker sole. That might actually be a decent starting point. If you sandblasted those or just roughed them up, then dyed, then waxed, you'd have a pretty close and cool looking boot, and from experience they are comfy and tough, I like mine a lot. The Brando might be a (more expensive) starting point as well.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The Brando might be a (more expensive) starting point as well.
These might have the same problem as the Butteros, though. Although the heel is a little taller, the toe box is similar, and it sounds like Chrono is looking for something w/a larger profile. I prefer bigger boots, too, but I've noticed with a lot of wear the leather stretches and appears larger than the last was designed to be. It's starting to happen to my Brandos, and I'm digging it. So, in conclusion to a very confusing post, the Brando might be a good idea. Edit: Do the At the Front boots have a wood heel? The soles look like they might be all rubber. Those have always looked really cheap, to me, and it might ruin a pretty good project.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what size you are, but Barney's SF had the Carpe Diem boots (in black and brown) for 369ish. I know for sure that they had size 42 in both colors and size 40 in the brown on Saturday. Then again, I posted this information on SuFu as well, so the likelihood of them still being available are naught

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
Edit: Do the At the Front boots have a wood heel? The soles look like they might be all rubber. Those have always looked really cheap, to me, and it might ruin a pretty good project.
Roughout service shoes had a rubber sole and heel. Jump boots had a leather sole with rubber covering most of it and a rubber heel. What about the ATF boots looks cheap to you? I've kind of wanted a pair of jump boots for a while, but I held off indefinitely because I don't really have a clear idea of the quality of the construction or materials.

v84

Reaction score
Are those the reverse calf leather? That is going to be a tricky texture to achieve but maybe with repeated sanding and dying (sp?) you could get close. Brandos are the boots id go for for this look, infact I already plan to. I did ask on a buttero sizing thread for some guy to post a pic comparing his butteros to his brandos in profile, never happened though... People over at ask andy dye their shoes all sorts of colours, they just keep polishing in the colour they want to get... The bulbous toe box could be the hardest thing to get? Oh pediwear does some nice black trickers that id like too! http://www.pediwear.co.uk/detail.php?stock_ID=174 the toe box is way too sleek. Maybe these? http://www.atthefront.com/us_boots_sshoe.htm

chronoaug

Reaction score
Hahaha. I'm going to go thrifting and to a milsurp place tomorrow to try and find a trial pair to mess around with first thanks to Rye's advice. Then try sanding and using different dyes. Probably won't be able to do it until i'm back in gainesville the first week of january. I needed advice on how to even get started though and definitely got it.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Roughout service shoes had a rubber sole and heel. Jump boots had a leather sole with rubber covering most of it and a rubber heel. What about the ATF boots looks cheap to you? I've kind of wanted a pair of jump boots for a while, but I held off indefinitely because I don't really have a clear idea of the quality of the construction or materials.

The true made-for-military use boots that I've seen have a similar rubber sole to those ATFs (boots without lugs, that is). I have a pair of Carolina jump boots with that sole and it has worn down unexpectedly quickly, and just looks incredibly cheap and flimsy compared to stacked wood heels and leather soles. To an observer other than the owner, it would go unnoticed. But if you're a stickler for those kinds of things, it's a deal breaker.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can get brown CDIEMS in size 42 at barneys madison right now... under $400...

NO BLACK ones left due to mass resellz
frown.gif

i wanted 2 kop for $379..

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kube38