• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirt colors not allowed after labor day?

wesny

Reaction score
Usually my opinion is that while suits should be tamer, darker colors during F/W, shirts can be slightly lighter. Purple, blue, and the like are still appropriate. That said, yellow, bright red, and a few other pastels probably aren't appropriate.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No hard and fast rules, but generally shy away from non-blue pastels and madras. Anything "Easter or spring-like" as well. Probably not the first shirt on your list. (Although I really like it.)

Last edited:

perfectson

Reaction score
except for the last one, they all look like fall type of shirts. You live in CO, not sure how harsh the fall is but I def see them as wearable.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No hard and fast rules, but generally shy away from non-blue pastels and madras. Anything "Easter or spring-like" as well. Probably not the first shirt on your list. (Although I really like it.)

^ This.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about wearing bengal stripe after labour day?

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love someone to explain. Is there a limit on "after labour day"? For example, how long must pass before the colour is then allowed? Any notes on how it started?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Women weren't supposed to wear white shoes after labor day. This seems like some sort of false extension of that "rule".

JDMills

Reaction score
I say wear whatever the hell you want shirt wise, I wear pinks, and bright butcher stripe shirts throughout the year regardless of season, now things like white trousers or spectators should be kept to spring summer along with various fabrics like madras or obvious spring/summer ties but otherwise why not?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Women weren't supposed to wear white shoes after labor day. This seems like some sort of false extension of that "rule".

This is as much as I know about it. IMO it's quite stupid to limit one's wardrobe selections based on color. I can understand not wearing madras in January. It's simply not an appropriate material weight and therefore is less of a "fashion no-no" and more of a "why the **** are you wearing madras in the snow?" That said, I have a pair of heavier white chinos and a white RLPL pullover that I wear regularly in the winter. I think white makes for an interesting way to break up browns, tweeds and wools.

Last edited:

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is as much as I know about it. IMO it's quite stupid to limit one's wardrobe selections based on color. I can understand not wearing madras in January. It's simply not an appropriate material weight and therefore is less of a "fashion no-no" and more of a "why the **** are you wearing madras in the snow?" That said, I have a pair of heavier white chinos and a white RLPL pullover that I wear regularly in the winter. I think white makes for an interesting way to break up browns, tweeds and wools.

+1

I'm a big fan of "winter whites" so you're preaching to the choir on that one.

If you weren't suppossed to wear white pants in the winter then why does H&S sell a 17oz white flannel? :satisfied:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics