• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress like James Bond, and move like him.

peasant

Reaction score
I've browsed the forums a few times, but what finally made me sign up was the Skyfall trailer ( , for those who have not seen it).

I recently started wearing suits more, and though I love the way I look, every one I wear has the same problem. The shoulders are binding.

All of my suits are traditional, American cuts (the brands are Men's Warehouse, Jones New York, and Joseph A. Bank), altered to fit my body. I think the problem is with the suits I buy, but I don't know what to look for to solve it.

So to get to my question, why is it that James Bond can fight a guy on top of a train in his suit, but I cannot reach across a bar without my suit shoulders binding?

The second part of the question, is there something I can do to my current suits to make them work?

And last, what can I do to get suits that will fit me, allow that range of motion, and not cost an insane amount?

Thanks for the help!

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If by "that range of motion" you mean fighting another man (whether on a train or not), I need to point out that any action scene is made up of multiple cuts where, conceivably even the suit in question is really a number of versions cut specifically for the motion the actor/stuntman requires. Therefore running and jumping across the rooftops might require a more generous cut to the trousers while swinging from the floor might have a jacket with some room in the shoulders. Everything is in service to final visual presentation and not based on reality. :)

So you might be out of luck on replicating what you see on film. I'll leave it to others to comment on your query about binding in the shoulders.

Last edited:

peasant

Reaction score
If by "that range of motion" you mean fighting another man (whether on a train or not), I need to point out that any action scene is made up of multiple cuts where, conceivably even the suit in question is really a number of versions cut specifically for the motion the actor/stuntman requires. Therefore running and jumping across the rooftops might require a more generous cut to the trousers while swinging from the floor might have a jacket with some room in the shoulders. Everything is in service to final visual presentation and not based on reality.
smile.gif

So you might be out of luck on replicating what you see on film. I'll leave it to others to comment on your query about binding in the shoulders.

I understand that, mainly, I just would like to be able to go out dancing without having to take off my jacket when I dance. The point is, I want to know what I should look for in a suit that will allow me to look good and move, at the same time.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I understand that, mainly, I just would like to be able to go out dancing without having to take off my jacket when I dance. The point is, I want to know what I should look for in a suit that will allow me to look good and move, at the same time.

In which case Saturday Night Fever, as opposed to Skyfall, might be where you want to look for inspiration.
nod[1].gif

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I wasn't being facetious with my last comment: there's a bunch of guys here (minus the peanut gallery here) that could probably give you old advice, based on your follow-up comment.

rainwater

Reaction score
The first action I make when trying on a suit is button it. As far as I'm concerned, there should be no pull on the button that is buttoned, but it should be snug. The next action is putting my elbows together extended in front of me. The jacket may rise but not pull against me. I don't know how to describe this......I'm 61 years, but active and can wear slim cut jeans. I could play table tennis in my sport coats and suits, but they look fitted for me.....I try different sizes every time I purchase.....sometimes 38R, and sometimes 39R, and sometimes 40R....it depends on the coat, the make, the style, and where it's purchased. I buy "off the rack", but it would be nice to know how "bespoke", or "custom" suits fits. That's how I roll. By the way; I know it's not popular on this website, but most my suit and sport coat wardrobe is from Jos A Bank. It's in my budget. Ahh.......someday.........a real suit or sport coat ensemble from a bespoke or custom tailor.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do not feed the troll

Levator Superioris

Reaction score
I would submit that you will ever look or move like James Bond wearing a men's warehouse suit. You could look like a used car salesman, just not James Bond.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out suits made with stretch fabric by the likes of Theory or Express.

They would be a departure from your American trad and not exactly SF-approved, but you will be able to move like Jagger, and may be James Bond.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look for higher armholes. Armholes that are not much wider than your arm itself will give you better mobility.

peasant

Reaction score
I made a trip to try some jackets on at Express and they had the same problem, when I try to move they bind just below the shoulders.

As for the higher armholes, are there any off the peg suits that have that feature, even if I decide to try MTM, I would like to try it to make sure what I request actually is what I want.

Thanks for the help, any other ideas are appreciated.

duggyald

Reaction score
Dress like James Bond? You mean the clothes designed for Daniel Craig and move like him? If you prefer tight-fitting custom suits be my guest..I dare you to run in it too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads