• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Douche free golf sunglasses

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Getting into golf lately (so for you old school SFers, yes, the glory years are over and this is what I am reduced to) and going to need some sunglasses.

I wear 2132 Wayfarers pretty much everywhere I go, but they wiggle around way too much to be golf friendly.

With good reason, the Oakley style wrap around glasses dominate the category, but they just don't suit me (plus I feel like a douchebag just standing near them).

So, any suggestions on other glasses, preferably polarised, and preferably not too expensive, that would be golf suitable and not make me feel like I should be wearing a tank top and calling you 'bro'?

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@Cleav@Betelgeuse

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Getting into golf lately (so for you old school SFers, yes, the glory years are over and this is what I am reduced to) and going to need some sunglasses.

I wear 2132 Wayfarers pretty much everywhere I go, but they wiggle around way too much to be golf friendly.

With good reason, the Oakley style wrap around glasses dominate the category, but they just don't suit me (plus I feel like a douchebag just standing near them).

So, any suggestions on other glasses, preferably polarised, and preferably not too expensive, that would be golf suitable and not make me feel like I should be wearing a tank top and calling you 'bro'?

Matt, the glory years are ahead of you!

I play 2 or 3 times a week and when we have a summer here in Blighty (just this last one actually) I still refuse to wear a hat or sunglasses.

Reason? Vanity.

I have been told on numerous occasions to wear sunglasses to protect my eyesight. A couple of professionals in our midst wear them regularly and what muppets they look, imho. Though who will look a muppet 30 years down the line...

Now, if you take the issue of douchebag why would anyone wear golf sunglasses unless they were sponsored to do so? At a high ranking amateur tournament nothing screams out more than "this kid had better be good looking like that" which quickly morphs to "all the gear and no idea"!

If you take the issue of one's long term health then why would someone not wear them? So what to wear? I have more sunnies than you could shake a stick at, Persols being my fave but not good for the Links. I do have Oakleys for cycling and have tried to wear e'm for golf but it just doesn't do it for me. When I do put some on they are the polarised Oakley C Wire... Pretty much anonymous, comfortable and light weight. Though they still end up back in the bag... Callaway do a C430 that doesn't make you look like Tiger, Poulter etc, but if they could make us play like em...

Aviators, are the way for you to go...

Douche or Dude? Easy, no?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The good golfing is around Da Nang, right? Or HCMC?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Ya there are three very good courses in Danang, two in Dalat, and I am pretty closely involved with the new one in Ho Tram, which seems to be pretty widely regarded as the best in the nation. That involvement is part of the reason why I am getting into golf now. That and being old.

Thanks for the suggestion above. Not a vanity thing, just fair to say the climate I live in here is as far from that of Blighty imaginable...35 degrees (C) and sunny every day. I am also blind in one eye, so really try to take care of the other one as best I can.

Those Calloways look a little fragile to me. I used to have some Maui Jims like that, cracked where the arm meets the lens. The C wires would work, but we have just leapt into the $200 and up price range. Kind of a lot for a pair that may get used twice a month. Sticking that aside, do they hold the head well though?

The Maui Jims posted above would be too chunky for me. I will say the aforementioned broken MJs I had had the best lenses of any sunglasses I've ever owned.

Aviators have historically not suited me either, dip a bit too low on my face. I used to wear some Randolphs a lot (and they would have been great, those bayonet arms used to stick like glue) but the gf hated them in me and they are now lost in a drawer somewhere.

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, not handled the callaways but they look better than most, esp at $60. The C wires are superb, can't fault em, they don't move, are very light and don't 'shout' at people.

Price point is different, true there. Pay for what you get? Maybe, but I'd throw the cash at quality lens

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads