• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anybody still sends out covering letters?

ngl09

Reaction score
I've personally stopped sending out covering letters with my resumes because I realized that nobody reads it. I think it actually helps because recruiters don't have to feel burdened to read your cv AND your resume when they see your application.

Any thoughts?

Willie5566

Reaction score
I do send them out. I do not think this is a yes or no question. I believe in most cases you should send one. However, I do not believe cover letters are required for all applications like they used to be.

papa kot

Reaction score
You always send one. The goal of your resume is to provide a reference for your work history and some skills. It tells people what you've done. The cover letter tells people why you'd want a job.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It also allows you to provide some context to what the reader will see in your resume. I hate sending them, but I always do it.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might not be the same in the states, but all investment banks and consultancies require them here in the UK.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Should always send one.

Willie5566

Reaction score
It's a formality IMO. Without one you have eliminated yourself from contention. Let's face it we are in a job market where HR and recruiters are looking for reasons to narrow down their candidates.

That said I feel like cover letters do not hold much value anymore. Who's going to write that they are a terrible employee and like to sleep in? A lot of ads want you to show "a proven record of success." That's not very easy to do unless you get trophies and medals for everything you do.

I would definitely hold on to any email or other documentation of a job well done. I have had a couple of my former bosses write me letters of recommendation. Still, interviews are hard to come by. Welcome to today's economy.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't send them out unless they are required. Most places I've applied to didn't even have a place to upload a cover letter.

At my last place, I worked with HR and they just toss the cover letters and get to the experience and education part on the resume.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always send one.

It helps fill in gaps or particularities that you might not be able to easily explain in your CV and shows whoever is handling your application that you care enough about them to at least right a targeted letter.

Risk_Reward

Reaction score
Cover letters are pointless. Everyone knows why you want the job, for money. If you weren't doing it for the money it would be a hobby. I've never sent a cover letter nor read a cover letter. I want to know if you can do the job, the resume provides hints at that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads