• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you stuff your jacket sleeves?

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
sleeve stuffing is done when shipping suits.
if you have the proper hangers no stuffing is needed.
but if you have a very large size jacket and a small hanger stuffing may help.

I have to travel most the year for work so I often depend on the flimsy hangers of the hotels I stay in. Even at home I don't have any bespoke quality hangers so I think I will continue to stuff my sleeves there also. The benefits seem pretty clear to me.

Full Canvas, maybe you are right about the ink transferring although I never had this problem with my shoes. Thinking about it I passed a J. Crew or Gap the other day and they had some boxes by the curb being thrown away with what looked like heavy duty tissue paper. Maybe I will keep my eye out and make a switch to this new free resource rather than the newspapers at Starbucks.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps you should not swipe newspapers off coffee shops. That would be a good start, yes?

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be better to use those long party balloons that clowns use to make balloon animals, and inflate them directly into your sleeves? It would make it much easier to achieve precisely the right volume. And no messy newsprint.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
Wouldn't it be better to use those long party balloons that clowns use to make balloon animals, and inflate them directly into your sleeves? It would make it much easier to achieve precisely the right volume. And no messy newsprint.

That is really a great idea. A whole bag of those balloons are probably just a couple dollars but I do wonder if they would increase the jacket's static electricity.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Uhh, while I don't think I'd take the 'free' newspapers from Starbucks (Kasper, you are sure that these do not belong to the other patrons?), or sort through a store's trash for tissue paper, I have to jump in here to defend Kasper's idea, in part.

While I don't see the purpose of stuffing sleeves in general, I do stuff my sleeves with some tissue paper when I pack my suits for travel. This seems to prevent the sleeves from creasing or wrinkling. Of course, steam from a shower in a hotel room often takes care of wrinkles, but sometimes there's no opportunity to take a shower before the suit is needed. Also, a hard crease in a sleeve from being pressed down in a suitcase may not comeout so easily with steam from a shower.

Kasper, please don't stuff balloons in your sleeves. I do, however, believe there is some merit in getting your pants to stand up on their own. I'm not sure what that merit is exactly, but the thought is, at the very least, amusing.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Uhh, while I don't think I'd take the 'free' newspapers from Starbucks (Kasper, you are sure that these do not belong to the other patrons?), or sort through a store's trash for tissue paper, I have to jump in here to defend Kasper's idea, in part.

While I don't see the purpose of stuffing sleeves in general, I do stuff my sleeves with some tissue paper when I pack my suits for travel. This seems to prevent the sleeves from creasing or wrinkling. Of course, steam from a shower in a hotel room often takes care of wrinkles, but sometimes there's no opportunity to take a shower before the suit is needed. Also, a hard crease in a sleeve from being pressed down in a suitcase may not comeout so easily with steam from a shower.

Kasper, please don't stuff balloons in your sleeves. I do, however, believe there is some merit in getting your pants to stand up on their own. I'm not sure what that merit is exactly, but the thought is, at the very least, amusing.

I travel most the year for work but didn't think about keeping the paper in the sleeves while packing my luggage. I will try that next time. I found some tissue paper today in a box outside of a Talbot’s store and it appears to be lightly used so I don't feel so strange using it. It appears that Mondays are the best days to find these supplies as it is garbage collection in many towns.

I would like to make it clear that I have only taken newspapers that people have abandoned on the tables at Starbucks. I try to look at it as a type of recycling and good for the enviroment.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kasper, I have to ask your opinion on this: does scavenging for used newspapers and used tissue paper (known to some with a penchant for jargonistic vocabulary as 'trash') constitute appropriate 'business professional' behavior?

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
sleeve stuffing is done when shipping suits.
if you have the proper hangers no stuffing is needed.
but if you have a very large size jacket and a small hanger stuffing may help.

Yes, a tailor is right. my bespoke comes back with stuffed suit sleeves (I'm a 54 jacket) and this is on a custom hanger.

But kasper, don't use newsprint.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Kasper, I have to ask your opinion on this: does scavenging for used newspapers and used tissue paper (known to some with a penchant for jargonistic vocabulary as 'trash') constitute appropriate 'business professional' behavior?

Well I remember reading about a successful executive who in his free moments would find sheets of paper in the garbage around the office and tear them up into small pieces to use for making notes and calculations on. I tend to think about what I'm doing as similar to this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads