• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Correct People Who Mispronounce or Use a Word Incorrectly?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aKula
Marcus Aurelius mentions this in his Meditations. He writes that the best way of making the other person aware of their mistake subtly is using the word correctly yourself.

+1. Emphasis on subtly.

Agnacious

Reaction score
I would welcome someone correcting me, I wouldn't think they thought much of me if they didn't. Of course there are polite ways of doing so for those you don't know well... if I like them that is.

You people getting your knickers in a bunch sound like a bunch of pissy 18 year old know-it-all's who view the correction as a personal attack. Just because you managed to muddle your way though a sentence and I was able to glean some meaning, doesn't mean I want it as a recurring event.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Not you, Rach. Sorry for the confusion.

You were so cute in your lil glasses and pajamas. So cute I almost forgot how douchey you are IRL.
lol8[1].gif

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
The conditions of the pay raise - is that going to be...radioactive?

I'm six feet in heith

I always used to chastise my mom for this, but then I found out that both "height" and "heighth" are acceptable pronounciations.

"For all intensive purposes" seems to be a pretty common malapropism.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egdon Heath
I don't believe that is a complete sentence. It's lacking a subject, as well as ending in a preposition.

Actually "that" is not a complete sentence. It is just a single word.

MsMcGillicuddy

Reaction score
I'll correct a close friend if what they're saying is something that, if they use it improperly around coworkers / potential employers, will make them look bad. Anything else, whatever.

Except when people misuse the phrase "begs the question." That's a concept from logic; it really doesn't have a place in most regular conversation.

When someone on TV, or in a news article says something like " ... which begs the question: who made the phone call to the police?" I get really annoyed.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one can ever pronounce my last name correctly so I correct them there, but otherwise no.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
"Blast" does not seem to allow much room for pronunciation interpretation.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forsbergacct2000
"Blast" does not seem to allow much room for pronunciation interpretation.

That's because those racist bastards at Ellis Island shortened it when the Blastenowiczichowski's came through.
frown.gif

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
That's because those racist bastards at Ellis Island shortened it when the Blastenowiczichowski's came through.
frown.gif

Blastenowiczichowskis
does not require an apostrophe.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egdon Heath
Blastenowiczichowskis does not require an apostrophe.

Uh oh... it's the grammar pedant showdown!

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forsbergacct2000
Actually "that" is not a complete sentence. It is just a single word.
Actually
, in that instance, requires a comma to follow...to indicate both a pause and that it is not modifying that.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who mispronounces words, I'm actually glad if someone corrects me so that I get it right next time. Just don't be an ass about it.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never but I hate when people say "irregardless" when they mean "regardless"

dl

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
As someone who mispronounces words, I'm actually glad if someone corrects me so that I get it right next time. Just don't be an ass about it.
You don't mean if, you mean when; and ass, in your context, requires the suffix hole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads