• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you buy 2 pairs of pants with every suit?

MysticAura

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought this suit off of Jcrew at a steal with the latest discount code.

With the discount, the pants come to only an additional $50 extra, but I wanted to ask - do you ALWAYS buy 2 pairs of pants for every suit (non-bespoke)?

I'm not trying to be cheap here, but wondering if an additional $50 is worth it for another pair of pants for a suit I don't plan on wearing that often. What do you guys advise and what do you do in your own suit purchases?

Thanks! Here's some pics of the suit:

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I haven't. But $50 for a spare pair is a good deal. Since pants tend to wrinkle and soil more than the jacket it seems like a practical idea to purchase a second pair. When you dry clean the suit make sure to include the second pair of pants so that any colour change that may happen will be uniform with all the garments.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is that you in the suit? Did you have an alteration done to trim the jacket to fit closer?

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
No. But that's because I have my welder guy solder in copper crotch plates on the original pair.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Is that you in the suit? Did you have an alteration done to trim the jacket to fit closer?
Pretty sure that's just the model on the website. Is the (poor) pattern alignment along the back seam what caught your eye?

MysticAura

Reaction score
Haha that is not me in the suit. Stock photo.

I'm just wondering if its worth it to insure against this kind of low payoff, low probability stuff. I think I'm getting into SF group think - seriously want to buy 2 of everything (watches, leather jackets, etc.) so it can "last forever". Anyone else feel this way?

sstokol

Reaction score
Its not always (in fact not often) an option with a lot of RTW suits ... If I had the option and it was that cheap I would definitely do it. Remember the jacket is a lot more expensive than the pants in the context of the total price you pay, but if the pants wear through you have a very useless orphan jacket. Though that suit is pretty... dramatic, so depending on your work environment maybe you won't wear it very often at all? In which case, may not really be necessary.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never bought a spare pair of trousers personally. It's something I might consider when I take the plunge and start ordering bespoke, but for reasonably priced MTM and below it's not something I worry too much about. Here you have a suit that you didn't have to pay much for and probably won't wear too often. I'd pass on the spare pants. Maybe if it was a staple suit like a navy or charcoal that you planned to wear frequently, but not for this.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For a cheap suit, there's no point because you can easily buy a new suit for not all that much more. For an expensive suit; well, if you own an expensive suit, you probably own enough of them to wear each one relatively rarely. And you probably like clothes, and enjoy variety. So by the time the trousers wear out, you'll probably be wanting a new suit anyway, so it's a good excuse to order one.

If you have a relatively small but expensive wardrobe, however, then yes it's probably worth it. Whatever "worth it" ever means...

Personally I never get them.

One practical reason I can conceive would be with a 3pc suit. Turning into a 4pc suit gives you a choice of fastening/pleats, depending on whether you wear the waistcoat. With the waistcoat, you might prefer braces and without, you might prefer a belt. By the time you're getting this into clothes, it's nothing to do with wear & tear, however.

Last edited:

Slippybee

Reaction score
Yes, always.

I alternate the pair of trousers used each time I wear the suit.

I always get both pairs plus the coat cleaned and pressed whenever it's required.

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes, for a decent pin / chalk stripe workhorse suit. It is because the jacket is hard to wear alone with other pants. But not for other colour and pattern.

weswu

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Agree with everyone in this thread. Here's my specific take on the issue:

1) If it's a workhorse suit, then the pants will wear out before the jacket does. For less than $100, it might be worth it if you live the suit.
2) If you happen to wear a belt sometimes and braces or you like sidetabs every now and then, perhaps you order the extra pair for flexibility.

Personally, I like having 2 pairs. 1 with the belt loops I use 80% of the time, but sometimes I just want to go sidetabs. This requires an extra pair. I would not get an extra pair of pants just to have them around, but I would get an extra pair for different styling.

IMHO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads