• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a quote from one of the Matches employees that they just laid a ton of people off with no severance package. They were one of my favorite retailers back when they used to carry DBF and Margaret Howell.

I wonder if MrP’s 25% off everything sale is a harbinger of doom for them.
I would not discount that possibility.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a quote from one of the Matches employees that they just laid a ton of people off with no severance package. They were one of my favorite retailers back when they used to carry DBF and Margaret Howell.

I wonder if MrP’s 25% off everything sale is a harbinger of doom for them.

That's illegal in the UK so untrue

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_2221.png

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at Mr Porter’s website they are not stocking nearly as much new season stuff for their various makers. There should be much more Lardini and Zegna SS24 items than are currently shown.

jaaz16

Reaction score
I was just observing, somewhat ominously, that both END and SSENSE were doing a "mid season sale" of 20-40% already, in early March. That just seemed way earlier than normal. And unusual insofar as at least some of it is brand new seasonal stuff: I got an email (or IG ad, I think) that SSENSE was carrying Document for the first time, and I hopped on over to see that the brand new, just released season could be had for 20% off using the app.

I also noticed they've kept a lot of the past season's offerings up online, and they have cycled through 1 or 2 rounds of big discounts during end of season sales, followed by a return to full price, and then back to a discount during the next season sale. Which would suggest even the deep discounts isn't helping them unload stuff. Ooof.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at Mr Porter’s website they are not stocking nearly as much new season stuff for their various makers. There should be much more Lardini and Zegna SS24 items than are currently shown.
And I suspect that some of the brands are forced to “stock” items for MrP until they are sold to the customer. I ordered a Valstar vest during the current sale and the tracking is originating in Milan, Italy.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
-SSENSE as well. The big online multi-brand retailers are having the same issues as department stores.
Certainly sounds like it:

“Whilst Matches’ management team has tried to find a way to stabilise the business, it has become clear that too much change would be required to restructure it, and the continued funding requirements would be far in excess of amounts that the Group considers to be viable,” Frasers Group said in a statement. “In light of this, Frasers has been informed that the directors of Matches have taken the decision to put the Matches group into administration. Frasers remains committed to the luxury market and its brand partners.”

Bummer, I really enjoyed their selection.

I think the online retailers will have it even worse than B&M department stores. Why should I buy from any of them - what value add is there? And it is even easier for me to price compare and cross shop with other stores.

You can see it just by looking at the sales/deals thread. These "luxury" retailers are posting about 48 sales and mid-season sales and the like constantly.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was just observing, somewhat ominously, that both END and SSENSE were doing a "mid season sale" of 20-40% already, in early March. That just seemed way earlier than normal. And unusual insofar as at least some of it is brand new seasonal stuff: I got an email (or IG ad, I think) that SSENSE was carrying Document for the first time, and I hopped on over to see that the brand new, just released season could be had for 20% off using the app.

I also noticed they've kept a lot of the past season's offerings up online, and they have cycled through 1 or 2 rounds of big discounts during end of season sales, followed by a return to full price, and then back to a discount during the next season sale. Which would suggest even the deep discounts isn't helping them unload stuff. Ooof.
SSense has been doing this early/constant sale thing for a long time. Got to be at least 10 years. Same with keeping past season items and reverting them to full price. I thought they were going under a couple years ago when they were having fulfillment issues during holiday season. I swore off using them for a while but hey, 20% off new season stuff so I've been using them again and haven't experienced any fulfillment delays.

End has always been the same way with past season stuff hanging around for a long time.

Another weird one has been Cultizm. If you're not getting 20% or more off, just wait a week.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I suspect that some of the brands are forced to “stock” items for MrP until they are sold to the customer. I ordered a Valstar vest during the current sale and the tracking is originating in Milan, Italy.
When I worked with a brand that did wholesale and online direct, there were a few accounts that would book products but list some styles, colors, and sizes that they would order from the brand if they could sell something they didn't have in their inventory. But that was back when folks didn't expect overnight delivery and the brand would ship from the warehouse to the online retailer's DC and then it would go out from there to the customer.

One online retailer almost always had discounts and loyalty points. Effectively they always ran a discount with loyalty points. That was tolerated due to the larger initial buy and that the in season orders did help draw down inventory but it was always a trade off as the margins were at wholesale and the brand was, in a way, losing an online sale based on price.

Relationships and terms can be harsh with bigger accounts as they have leverage and their bookings can make production viable. I expect there's some punishment being handed out to brands from the troubled online retailers. I seems like were in a new era. Again.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember back when a retailer would have to backorder something from a brand and then ship it to me. If it was something I really wanted, it was worth the wait.

I’m wondering if the end result is that the Amazon model just doesn’t work for luxury goods and business is steered back to small retailers like NMWA. I'm ok with not having access to everything I want on one website, and I'd much rather give my business to small companies that care about their employees and customers.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this article has come up a bunch today .

otoh the writer presents LP as sucking profits as a monopolistic corporate interloper .

on the other hand it's pretty clear that ' open season ' approach had previously led to a catastrophe for the species , and which was only reversed following gov't protection and which population growth has continued since the Peruvian gov't licensed taking to LP in the 90s .

but the story as written is not about the success of a market-based conservation program , instead the focus is accrual of value but then completely elides questions about the structure of equity within the village . per the article LP pays the villages .

Iskander

Reaction score
this article has come up a bunch today .

otoh the writer presents LP as sucking profits as a monopolistic corporate interloper .

on the other hand it's pretty clear that ' open season ' approach had previously led to a catastrophe for the species , and which was only reversed following gov't protection and which population growth has continued since the Peruvian gov't licensed taking to LP in the 90s .

but the story as written is not about the success of a market-based conservation program , instead the focus is accrual of value but then completely elides questions about the structure of equity within the village . per the article LP pays the villages .
Both things can be true. Perhaps it is a success in terms of conservation, but that doesn't mean LP should not be compensating the villages more. I doubt the workers would be comforted being told, "well yes you're paid next to nothing, but we saved the Alpacas!"

It would be interesting to see the total compensation details, as you mentioned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads