• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long term the Nike Yeezy models and particularly the Blinks, Solar Reds, Pure Platinums, and Red October will probably go up and stabilize as totems to “old Kanye” among those who already had pairs.

The Adidas stuff is dead. They were already fading out and there were far too many models released to begin with. Everyone who wanted a pair has had a pair for many years now.

I don’t believe he has enough cultural capital to trigger a sort of Banned 1s (sneaker model Michael Jordan was not allowed to wear until a rules change and thus became very sought after) effect on the Adidas models down the line. Nazism is just patently uncool and I think even those who agree with his politics will not want to wear his shoes as the culture no longer has any use for him.
I think he has an opportunity to create a massive indy brand

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they're going to keep on releasing Yeezy products but without his branding based on the last paragraph.

Yep

Bloomberg

aint nobody buying those *****

i think the opposite. sentiment on reddit seems to be excitement about paying lower prices for the same shoes.

What is the knock on effect on resale prices for Yeezy sneakers?

they seem to be inching up. anecdotally i had 4 pairs of yeezy's sitting and today they all sold

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d agree with that. There’s always a special premium for first series and last series of stuff in general. I wouldn’t be surprised to see those go up now that there won’t be more produced - and especially final year styles.

badeggcat

Reaction score
I think he has an opportunity to create a massive indy brand

The Gap collab showed that he wasn’t capable of even hiring the right people to translate his ideas to reality. There were only 2 products till Balenciaga got involved to do the grunt work. That whole debacle suggested that Adidas was doing the heavy lifting for the various Yeezy seasons. Without anyone to hold his hands, I have my doubts on him creating anything related to fashion.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Gap collab showed that he wasn’t capable of even hiring the right people to translate his ideas to reality. There were only 2 products till Balenciaga got involved to do the grunt work. That whole debacle suggested that Adidas was doing the heavy lifting for the various Yeezy seasons. Without anyone to hold his hands, I have my doubts on him creating anything related to fashion.
I'm sure he'll be able to move a lot of commodity items like Ts and baseball caps that signals to his fans and appeal to their persecution complexes and conspiracy theories.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd not throw the folks behind the scenes under the bus on the product side. Last minute changes and lots of options(samples) that might work as a creative process in one artistic domain won't benefit apparel when it comes to design for bulk production. The calendar is unrelenting.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's not how these licensing agreements work. The Gap collab seemed to suggest that Gap wasn't able to find a way of working between themselves and Yeezy. Adidas was doing pretty much all of the work, because that's how the deals are structured.

Agreed on the last point. Without the infrastructure and processes of a large corporation behind him, he won't be able to execute anything. See Yeezy's standalone fashion line, big flop.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All he needs is good management talent around him. They don't only exist in corporations. There is plenty of that available. He will attract design and creative talent.

Last edited:

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not how these licensing agreements work. The Gap collab seemed to suggest that Gap wasn't able to find a way of working between themselves and Yeezy. Adidas was doing pretty much all of the work, because that's how the deals are structured.

Agreed on the last point. Without the infrastructure and processes of a large corporation behind him, he won't be able to execute anything. See Yeezy's standalone fashion line, big flop.
Don't agree with your last sentence. There are plenty of indecent designers and indy musicians with great teams that are making a killing.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't agree with your last sentence. There are plenty of indecent designers and indy musicians with great teams that are making a killing.
What is a killing? Would Kanye even consider having a merch line that does high 8 figures a year a killing? Seems to me Kanye constantly has ambitions/complexes that make him want to take on the top of the industry and that is very expensive without having access to corporate infrastructure and supply lines. Anyone can scream they're an independent rebel and quietly make everything in China on the cheap and dropship to fans and make what most of us consider a fortune, but imo Kanye wants more than that.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All he needs is good management talent around him. They don't only exist in corporations. There is plenty of that available. He will attract design and creative talent.
But does anyone with management talent actually want to be associated with him? You saw the type of people Trump attracted to his administration where everyone was a grifter or an idiot. I doubt talented sane people want to be associated with that.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there's a not insignificantly sized audience for black people who will speak out against other black people. I assume those people tend to sooth the fears of racist views within white people. Look no further than the popularity of Candace Owens, who has seemingly built an entire brand on the concept that racism doesn't really exist in modern society.
as a foreigner to the United States, I occupy a very strange and possibly unique position in how i view people like Candace Owens and many others like Larry elder etc
I am a Jamacian, related to Marcus Garvey by blood. my Uncles were Musicians in the Wailers Band. UNDERSTANDING THE STRUGGLE GLOBALLY, for the liberation of blacks under colonialism, and for the right to vote, the right to be respected and the amount of labor it took and continue to take to get where we are currently, I see these people as complete sellouts. KANYE included.
Its almost as if there is a kind of self hate, and seeking of validation in places and spaces where you need to say something negative and disrespectful of people in your own race in order to be accepted by others............

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But does anyone with management talent actually want to be associated with him? You saw the type of people Trump attracted to his administration where everyone was a grifter or an idiot. I doubt talented sane people want to be associated with that.
I know it is fashionable to blast your every move on social media, but most business people reside behind the scenes.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as a foreigner to the United States, I occupy a very strange and possibly unique position in how i view people like Candace Owens and many others like Larry elder etc
I am a Jamacian, related to Marcus Garvey by blood. my Uncles were Musicians in the Wailers Band. UNDERSTANDING THE STRUGGLE GLOBALLY, for the liberation of blacks under colonialism, and for the right to vote, the right to be respected and the amount of labor it took and continue to take to get where we are currently, I see these people as complete sellouts. KANYE included.
Its almost as if there is a kind of self hate, and seeking of validation in places and spaces where you need to say something negative and disrespectful of people in your own race in order to be accepted by others............
Maybe, but we need Black folks on the right. Candace Owens and people of her ilk are purely for spectacle. They are entertainers who are in the click bait game like a lot of so called influencers.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with you. My point was, he's already proven that a standalone brand under him that's been around since 2015 has been a flop, whereas Adidas Yeezy has been a resounding business and cultural success

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics