• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinosaur training

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Tabata workout seems great for off days during times in the week away from your split. I just did it on military press with 15 lb dumbbells and its really hard to maintain a fast pace. I did like 25 during the first interval which was probably a mistake because it made it brutal on the 8th set.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
The Tabata workout seems great for off days during times in the week away from your split. I just did it on military press with 15 lb dumbbells and its really hard to maintain a fast pace. I did like 25 during the first interval which was probably a mistake because it made it brutal on the 8th set.
rolleyes.gif

You need to choose an exercise that uses a large number of muscles... With something like a military press, you won't be using enough muscles to allow you to survive in the last minute; you might only get one or two reps with your shoulders on fire.
Glad that you like it, even though I don't think a true Tabata workout would fit into a split routine.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plan to use the Tabata method more for cardio than for weight training.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
rolleyes.gif

Glad that you like it, even though I don't think a true Tabata workout would fit into a split routine.

Yeah, I was still doing like 10-15 reps at the end still, i mean 15 lb isn't really alot of weight, but it was still almost failure hehe I'm using it more as an iso opposite my actual shoulder workout (which is on saturdays). I'll do bicep isos with it near the end of the week (since today was bi/tri day)

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tabata workouts, for me, are great to do with bodyweight exercises for days when I don't have access to weights. A common one at crossfit is to follow the tabata protocol of 20 seconds work/10 seconds rest for 32 rounds: the first 8 rounds are pullups, then 8 of pushups, 8 of situps and 8 of (weightless) squats. Add up your reps & next time you do it, try to beat your own score. 16 minutes total, great intensity, can do it anywhere. (Though I guess you need something to do the pullups on.)

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I plan to use the Tabata method more for cardio than for weight training.

That'd be interval training, then, which is great, but not Tabata.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
That'd be interval training, then, which is great, but not Tabata.

I don't think so. As far as I know, Tabata did his original research on people using exercise bikes. So, doing the 20 sec. on, 10 sec. off for 8 sets on an exercise bike is the original Tabata.

As I understand interval training, it involves alternating between high intensity and low intensity. Tabata involves alternating between high intensity and rest.

In any case, it doesn't matter what exercise you are doing - whether it's sprinting, exercise bike, squats, thrusters, whatever. If you are doing 20 sec maximum intensity intervals followed by 10 seconds rest for 8 sets or so, you are doing Tabata.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
In any case, it doesn't matter what exercise you are doing - whether it's sprinting, exercise bike, squats, thrusters, whatever. If you are doing 20 sec maximum intensity intervals followed by 10 seconds rest for 8 sets or so, you are doing Tabata.

Ok, Tabata is a very specific type of interval training, then.

I now dub 21 seconds of maximum intensity followed by 11 seconds of rest for 7 sets to be "Ken Training".

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
Ok, Tabata is a very specific type of interval training, then.

I now dub 21 seconds of maximum intensity followed by 11 seconds of rest for 7 sets to be "Ken Training".

Well, before you can call it "ken training" you have to find yourself some olympic athletes, perform a bunch of tests, write some peer reviewed articles, and then you're all set.

Anyway, the stuff about using the Tabata method doing squats and thrusters comes from that t-nation article. Tabata himself did all of his research using athletes on stationary bikes. He found that 20 seconds on 10 seconds off gave the best results.

I don't know why you are arguing about this - just go read Tabata's stuff and you'll know what it's about.

mizanation

Reaction score
odoreater, what is your goal? max strength? muscle endurance? cosmetic fitness? size/mass? definition?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
odoreater, what is your goal? max strength? muscle endurance? cosmetic fitness? size/mass? definition?

I guess my goal is trying to stay in shape somewhat while maintaining a high pressure and time consuming career. I try to exercise for functional strength as much as possible, and cardiovascular health, and I'm trying to control my weight within reasonable limits.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a word of wisdom... if you're going to do the tabata workout on abs (especially with any weight), make sure you don't have anywhere you need to for the half hour following the workout other than the floor of the room you did it in...

mizanation

Reaction score
i don't think you need to go dinosaur for that. you're not trying to be some old-school strongman.

just do some cardio and some weights. should be good enough.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
a word of wisdom... if you're going to do the tabata workout on abs (especially with any weight), make sure you don't have anywhere you need to for the half hour following the workout other than the floor of the room you did it in...
crackup[1].gif
snork[1].gif

Originally Posted by mizanation
i don't think you need to go dinosaur for that. you're not trying to be some old-school strongman.

just do some cardio and some weights. should be good enough.

Odor said he's short on time, thus making dinosaur (<20 min. per workout) a feasible option. In any case, dinosaur/tabata/HIIT... provides a nice change of pace from one's regular free weight/cardio routine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads