• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought quite a few Magnanni shoes and belts. Bought at deep discounts from Saks Off Fifth and Nordstrom Rack.
I've kept a couple of the shoes and they look and fit (my feet) great.
They do make different levels of shoes. I returned a few because they were obviously not made with great leather or put together well.
I have 3 Magnanni belts all worn frequently, nice leather and holding up well.
I have no experience with Meermin shoes but own a Meermin belt which was ok for the money but nothing great.
For those who venture to buy a Meermin belt do not listen to what Meermin suggests in buying one size up from your waist size. I did this and the belt was so big there were no holes left to buckle. It was $15 to return ship and replace which then made the belt over priced.
Magnanni shoes at retail price? No way! Not worth it. But between $125 and $175 a good buy.

sforum1

Reaction score
I've bought quite a few Magnanni shoes and belts. Bought at deep discounts from Saks Off Fifth and Nordstrom Rack.
I've kept a couple of the shoes and they look and fit (my feet) great.
They do make different levels of shoes. I returned a few because they were obviously not made with great leather or put together well.
I have 3 Magnanni belts all worn frequently, nice leather and holding up well.
I have no experience with Meermin shoes but own a Meermin belt which was ok for the money but nothing great.
For those who venture to buy a Meermin belt do not listen to what Meermin suggests in buying one size up from your waist size. I did this and the belt was so big there were no holes left to buckle. It was $15 to return ship and replace which then made the belt over priced.
Magnanni shoes at retail price? No way! Not worth it. But between $125 and $175 a good buy.

One size up and it was so big there were no holes to buckle? That's strange since that would indicate that the belt would be 6 sizes up from your actual size. What's even more strange is that I bought one one size up from my size and it was so small that I could barely buckle it at the last hole, so I had to return it (and yes, returing is a nightmare). I suppose Meerming has no quaility control.

Meermin is garbage IMO and so is Magnanni. They are competing very strongly with one another for the first spot, IMO.

I would not buy either even if I found them at the thrift store for $10. They are not worth my money or my time, which is ironic since I just spent 2 mins writing about them.

paul6001

Reaction score
Gaziani & Girling and some other brands may be exceptions but, as a rule, Goodyear welted shoes are bigger and bulkier than Blake and Bologna made shoes. I’m puzzled that anyone with experience holding/wearing both types could argue with the statement. One or two or 10 outliers don’t change what’s generally true of the hundreds of shoe makers in this world.

I count myself a proud member of Clothes Snobs Inc. And one of the basic tenants of our organization is that whatever is older, more troublesome, and more expensive is better. Goodyear welting is a classic example. Isn’t it possible that shoe technology has moved forward since 1869? Not just cheaper and faster but better? I sure have never noticed that they’re more waterproof but, generally speaking, Blake stitch is lighter, tighter to the foot, and more flexible. I’d choose it every time.

As long as it looks the best, of course. Function must give way to form.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member