• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

determining the colors that looks best on you

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok. So i was reading this article in AAAC about what colors look good on certain people.http://askandyaboutclothes.com/Tutor...orAnalysis.htm

The problem is that it is obviusly aimed at white guys. 99.9% of the people there are white so it is expected, but I didn't know there were so many variations of white (Pale, pink, peachy, ivory whatever.)
I was trying to find out what colors go well with my skin, eye and hair color, but the article just gave me a seizure trying to find my stats in all the exotic shades of white.

I was going to describe my skin, eye and hair color but i decided a picture would be better. BTW my eyebrows would be my hair color.

So, what colors should I embrace and which should I avoid?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
I didn't know there are that many variations of white until you mention it. I believe "ivory white" is the true white color. Greeks, Persians, Italians, etc. are the founders of Western Civilization and they aren't really whites.

Originally Posted by blackplatano
Ok. So i was reading this article in AAAC about what colors look good on certain people.http://askandyaboutclothes.com/Tutor...orAnalysis.htm

The problem is that it is obviusly aimed at white guys. 99.9% of the people there are white so it is expected, but I didn't know there were so many variations of white (Pale, pink, peachy, ivory whatever.)
I was trying to find out what colors go well with my skin, eye and hair color, but the article just gave me a seizure trying to find my stats in all the exotic shades of white.

I was going to describe my skin, eye and hair color but i decided a picture would be better. BTW my eyebrows would be my hair color.

So, what colors should I embrace and which should I avoid?

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best way to determine the colors that look best on you is...

with a mirror.

Go to a shop that has a wide selection of clothing items, take with you a white, blue and pink shirts. ( or go 3 different days with that shirt color on ).

Then try on different jackets and ties and look yourself at the mirror. The ones you like are the ones to chose.

This is the way I did.

horton

Reaction score
there's a school of thought that says the colors should somewhat comport with the seasons, e.g., autumn colors, spring colors, etc.

there's another school of thoght that says you should also consider the color contrast in your clothing based on hair and skin, e.g., white guys with blonde hair should have less contrast or they get washed out.

My own view is to not consider the rules so much and just go by your own judgment and that of those you trust (or want to impress --- even if they're wrong...). I do believe choice matters and can make your complexion look better, eye color look better etc. I just don't trust the rules that much

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You must first determine the colours you do love on you....

You must than use some common sense and honesty to appreciate if the colour is enhancing your appearance or not...
Look around you and if you do feel that the combo is not working on someone with the same global characteristics than you,skin tone ,hair colour and so on ,it may be that you're kidding yourself..

Personal advice: I used to love Beige ,ivory and cream for a suit...Great in the summer when i do have a tan...Big mistake when i'm out of the sun...
I have dark hair ,brown/grey eyes but my skin tone is medium ,therefore cream is not my best colour even if i do love the look...

My best colours for suits are Navy blue ,charcoal grey and black...
My best colours for shirts are navy blue ,all kind of blue,white ,metallic shades of grey...

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some colors that i kno look good on me based on experience, mostly the mirror method, but if anybody knows how to use the article; what colors would you recommend based on the picture? What "season" am I?

Tampan

Reaction score
Hi Blackplatano,

I'm fairly good with colours but no expert on this approach. I'll give it a go.

The photo is perhaps the best you can achieve on the internet, short of pictures of you wearing a bunch of outfits for comparison. But it's still hard to tell. Your eyes are light, and not much contrast with your skin (in colour saturation or darkness). But your hair is a strong contrast. If you use colours that complement your eyes, then you can even be looking at Spring, which is typically for people who look the same when wrapped in gauze (myself included).

But you also have a fairly strong hair-skin contrast, and a warm skin tone (more ochre than olive), so you could wear Winter or Autumn, depending whether the photo is correct about the peach/ochre or olive.

I think it's fun to pick your season, as it encourages you to think in new ways about the colours you choose, but most people would be able to select from more than one season.

Cheers,
Tampan

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
article in AAAC about what colors look good on certain people
The problem is that it is obviusly aimed at white guys.

Try Color for Men by Carole Jackson, it covers everyone.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THanks Tampan, I also think i was a spring since green looks good on me but I'm not too sure. Thanks for the rec tomasso. Why did you have to edit 2 post?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why did you have to edit 2 post?
Gremlins. The MB wouldn't accept an Amazon link to the book.
confused.gif

erdavis

Reaction score
Find a non-straight friend. Many of them are good with coordinating colors. Just telling them that fashion and color advice is where things end is a bit tough. But still good advice.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Try Color for Men by Carole Jackson, it covers everyone.

It is a good book, I didn't really believe it but having tried their recommendations it does work for me.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdavis
Find a non-straight friend. Many of them are good with coordinating colors.
Oh ya, that'll work.
rolleyes.gif

abc_gma_carson_dress_080104_ms.jpg

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried to decipher the color guides, but I can never figure out which column to look at because I'm never sure what color to classify my skin tone, etc. I have learned to look in the mirror and honestly assess what looks good and what doesn't. I also trust my wife's judgement. She may not share my sensibilities when it comes to pattern mixing and coordination, but she certainly knows when she thinks I look good or look like hell.

I've had to accept that no matter how much I like tattersalls on a cream background, yellow, orange or light brown tweeds they all look terrible with my complexion. All blues, especially light blue (which I never thought I liked until I tried it on) make me look my best. White, charcoal, pink and lavender look good as well. I guess that means higher contrast is what I need. I have found that I can use colors like orange and lighter brown tweeds if I amp the contrast by putting a color like white between them and my face. Really that's the only area where this theory matters. Shirts, ties, sweaters and jackets are where these determinations need to be made. Anybody can wear any color pants. Color selection for pants only needs to support the other choices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads