• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Desperately Need some legal advice re: My Credit Report/Score

dagman1

Reaction score
Here is the eHow that lays it out: http://www.ehow.com/how_4469695_disp...hone-bill.html But make sure to first send letters to the company telling them you dispute the charges (and have been disputing them for years and there has not yet been a resolution). Then ask for a credit report correction, as well as complain to the FCC and the BBB. That should get the ball rolling on resolving it.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. If you are other wise responsible with your credit, a 100 point drop would still leave you with a credit score of about 700. Not great, but not a disaster at your age either. Time will heal.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Are you sure that's applicable? The link you provide doesn't provide the broader statutory context, so I can't tell at a quick glance whether the OP's situation would fall within its general scope. I noticed a reference to actions before the "Commission", which I take to mean the FCC. I don't know that the FCC has adjudicatory authority over contract disputes between individual cell phone customers and their providers. Not my area of expertise at all, but I would be slightly surprised if that were the case.

Unless there's federal pre-emption (which there may be, i don't know) I would expect state law to govern. In most places, the statute of limitations for breach of a written contract is considerably longer than two years.

The way I've understood it is that since phone companies are subject to regulation by the FCC, 47 USC 415(a) is applicable. From what I've read, cell phone service agreements usually stipulate that the state laws where the agreement was signed govern the agreement unless inconsistent with or preempted by applicable federal law.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
From what I've read, cell phone service agreements usually stipulate that the state laws where the agreement was signed govern the agreement unless inconsistent with or preempted by applicable federal law.

I'm sure you're right about this part, at least.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Yep. If you are other wise responsible with your credit, a 100 point drop would still leave you with a credit score of about 700. Not great, but not a disaster at your age either. Time will heal.

Having perfect credit at my age doesn't automatically put me at 800 to start

I have zero blemishes besides this, have IMO very good oincome with healthy lines of credit which put my at 767 beofer they reported it again. 100 points later, a 667 is hardly anything to be happy with.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
Having perfect credit at my age doesn't automatically put me at 800 to start

I have zero blemishes besides this, have IMO very good oincome with healthy lines of credit which put my at 767 beofer they reported it again. 100 points later, a 667 is hardly anything to be happy with.

Well, put it this way. 667 may not be ideal, but its still not going to be an issue unless you are planning to buy a car soon, as is not uncommon at your age. Or a house, which is much less common.

If you can hold off for a year or two on legit purchases that almost have to be financed (i.e. a car or house), you should be OK.

At least you have the smarts to care about this and try to remedy it at your age. From what I can tell, I am not much older than you (27) and I try to be responsible with my finances as well. I'm glad to see someone else doing the same.

I know guys in their forties that have credit scores well below 667. And not because of uncontrollable or noble circumstances, either, such as divorce, major health problem, or a failed business. These guys are just ******* idiots when it comes to personal finances, haven't even learned to save at that age.

You'll be OK, kid. Just hang in there and learn from this relatively minor mistake (seems you already have).

You'll be OK

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, put it this way. 667 may not be ideal, but its still not going to be an issue unless you are planning to buy a car soon, as is not uncommon at your age. Or a house, which is much less common.

If you can hold off for a year or two on legit purchases that almost have to be financed (i.e. a car or house), you should be OK.

At least you have the smarts to care about this and try to remedy it at your age. From what I can tell, I am not much older than you (27) and I try to be responsible with my finances as well. I'm glad to see someone else doing the same.

I know guys in their forties that have credit scores well below 667. And not because of uncontrollable or noble circumstances, either, such as divorce, major health problem, or a failed business. These guys are just ******* idiots when it comes to personal finances, haven't even learned to save at that age.

You'll be OK, kid. Just hang in there and learn from this relatively minor mistake (seems you already have).

You'll be OK

HA! I think I m,ay have thrown you off a bit. I went to college late as a transfer.

Ease up a tad with the "kid" stuff eh? lol.

I'm actually older than you.

I graduated HS and started making $60k which at the time, was smoking' for a 18yo. Never thought about going to college until $60k was practically minimum wage here in the SF Bay area.

I (we) just got "pre-approved" on a new home (2br apt) here in SF which costs about the same as the white house @ $680k.

We've decided to move forward with the home nd I need to get this wiped before it gets really detrimental.

Mark it 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RowRow
Why do you care about credit score so much in Amerika? I mean, you could just, like, don't use credit at all. Credit is basically debt. Why would you be in constant debt? Just pay with what you have and don't take credit - problem solved.

Yes, and you could, just, like, rent a living space forever and build someone else's nest egg while throwing away money.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does that have to do with credit? Renting is a very BAD idea and you should never rent. You learn to SAVE. For example, I am always saving my money and spending only 1/5th of my income or so. Then when I have saved 150% for the big thing (car, house, whatever) I spend the 100% for whatever I want to buy and then still have 50%. No credit, no problems.

I mean, it's no rocket science. People have money problems only because they are greedy and want everything now.

Not sure where you're from but buying a house in a major metropolitan house in the US with CASH is nearly impossible.

I'd say look into it a tad more before running your mouf.

America is run on credit

Mark it 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
Not sure where you're from but buying a house in a major metropolitan house in the US with CASH is nearly impossible.

I'd say look into it a tad more before running your mouf.

America is run on credit

What he said.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You'll be OK

Credit scores often have little to do with the ability to save money. Someone could have no debt and a high income, and pay his credit card bill every month, and still have a low score. I was clearing my card off every month, but I was also always maxing it because of a low limit. Low and behold, I had a crappy score because I was paying my card off at the beginning of the month and they didn't report till half-way through the month, at which point my card was often maxed again. Even after I adjusted for that, it was still a real pain ********** because I really didn't have to spend much to max out my card and consequently be > 30% of my available credit.

The remedy to the situation was to increase the limit to the point where my card wouldn't constantly be >30% despite regular full payments.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark it 8
Yes, and you could, just, like, rent a living space forever and build someone else's nest egg while throwing away money.
Even renting is tougher with bad credit, since many landlords will run credit checks.
Originally Posted by dagman1
I laugh whenever I see such ignorance: http://patrick.net/housing/crash.html

Then step away from the mirror and learn to read, idiot. Did he say he recommends buying an overpriced house right now? The point was that without good credit you'll have trouble buying a house even if it's massively underpriced or the market generally is down.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Then step away from the mirror and learn to read, idiot. Did he say he recommends buying an overpriced house right now? The point was that without good credit you'll have trouble buying a house even if it's massively underpriced or the market generally is down.

OWN3d.

Mustve been the dumbest thing I've read all day besides a shithead who didn't handle a bill for 4 ******* years and is now whining about it.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you care about credit score so much in Amerika? I mean, you could just, like, don't use credit at all. Credit is basically debt. Why would you be in constant debt? Just pay with what you have and don't take credit - problem solved.

Wow some of you people are so damn judgmental it makes me want to puke. What makes it worse is judging someone about something you know nothing about.

We care about credit in AmeriCa because it is an unavoidable part of life here, contrary to what you may think. Most people need credit to buy a house or a car. You need credit to rent and apartment. You need credit to get a cell phone or cable tv. You need credit to get reasonable insurance. Some emergency rooms check the credit of admissions who don't have health insurance.
To build credit, you will need to have revolving credit and use it responsibly. It is a fact so don't bother arguing with a fact unless you are completely irrational. Credit is not debt. Balance owed on credit is debt. There is a clear and HUGE difference between the two.

The point of this thread is not to flog a dead horse and constantly tell the OP the obvious. Someone messed up we've already established that. Whether is was him or the original creditor is irrelevant. The point is someone messed up and where to go from here.

It's really tiring hearing people spout off arrogant, self righteous b.s. just to feel superior and then not providing ANYTHING constructive, helpful or, in this case, true to the OP.

...stepping off my soap box now....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads