• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating a "high end" girl?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
I'm messing with you. Underwear is actually my favorite song on that album.

It's a near perfect album. "Mis-Shapes" gets my vote personally.

Mr.P

Reaction score
My ex had what her father called "Princess modes." In one such episode, she said that if I ever want to marry her, I'd have to get her the most expensive Tiffany ring. I dumped her there and then.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, you shouldn't have to have any sort of discussion with a woman you are dating about what you can and cannot afford to do. That's just emasculating. If she's planning all these fancy dates and is clueless about your means given that you are a student, no conversation about what you can afford is going to have great results. Try gracefully skipping out on some of these fancier affairs (encouraging her to attend without you), and then YOU take the reigns on date planning going forward. If she doesn't figure out what's going on after that pattern of events then she's not ever going to get it, whether you tell her explicitly or not. So you will need to date some poorer women for the time being and do what virtually every other doctor/lawyer/banker in the history of the world has done: trade up when you banks the kwan.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the girl likes you and is worth spending money on, I'm sure she will use a little common sense and understand that you, at this point in your life, can't afford to eat and drink at the most expensive lounges. If not, the relationship isn't going to work, for lots of reasons.

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
Personally, it sounds like you blew it. I assume you have gone on a ton of dates judging from your posts and still have not it. You sound like a chump and pushover

How can you even relax eating at an expensive restaurant and worrying about your credit card damage?

If you tell her now about not having the money, then she will think you were trying to be someone you weren't.

An alpha male would have handled it from day 1. Now you have dug yourself into a deep hole. She might even be using you.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
IMHO, you shouldn't have to have any sort of discussion with a woman you are dating about what you can and cannot afford to do. That's just emasculating. If she's planning all these fancy dates and is clueless about your means given that you are a student, no conversation about what you can afford is going to have great results. Try gracefully skipping out on some of these fancier affairs (encouraging her to attend without you), and then YOU take the reigns on date planning going forward. If she doesn't figure out what's going on after that pattern of events then she's not ever going to get it, whether you tell her explicitly or not. So you will need to date some poorer women for the time being and do what virtually every other doctor/lawyer/banker in the history of the world has done: trade up when you banks the kwan.
Are you ******* kidding me? Emasculating? Trade up? You are seriously gross.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Seriously, this is the way alpha bros conduct relationships? Sounds insanely complicated. Seems like you could save a lot of headache by having adult conversations about simple matters like this.

bslo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

I assume he was being facetious, but maybe not. The idea that most of these men are "trading up" when they get trophy wives is laughable, though. On the other hand, most of the time they get exactly what they deserve.

In any case, TC makes an interesting point. I don't know how long the OP has been dating the woman in question, but is it really likely that she has no basis for understanding his financial situation? I agree with others that an explicit coversation is necessary, but don't be surprised if the conversation does not change the woman's attitude about money. In fact, I'd be surprised if it did.

bslo

Reaction score

One other thought: If you find that not being rich is emasculating, you really don't have a very strong sense of self-worth.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bslo
One other thought: If you find that not being rich is emasculating, you really don't have a very strong sense of self-worth.
There is so much wrong with that post that I don't know where to start. I'll just posit that even if you are quite rich, there are still things you feel that you cannot afford, so you are always in the position of having to decide whether to exist in a relationship in which you value open communication, or one in which you believe that alpha-ness is shrinking away from being able to take a realistic appraisal of a situation and sharing it with your partner. Alpha as ****, I guess. But yeah, I agree with your point, and that trophy wives are generally a big trade down.

bslo

Reaction score
There is so much wrong with that post that I don't know where to start. I'll just posit that even if you are quite rich, there are still things you feel that you cannot afford, so you are always in the position of having to decide whether to exist in a relationship in which you value open communication, or one in which you believe that alpha-ness is shrinking away from being able to take a realistic appraisal of a situation and sharing it with your partner. Alpha as ****, I guess.

But yeah, I agree with your point, and that trophy wives are generally a big trade down.

Well stated. I guess the "alpha" option is to either spend beyond your means or "convince" the woman that she does not want what she thinks she wants. A real alpha would always be capable of accomplishing the later. Of course, if you're alpha as phuck, you don't recognize such fictions as a woman's desires.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is so much wrong with that post that I don't know where to start. I'll just posit that even if you are quite rich, there are still things you feel that you cannot afford, so you are always in the position of having to decide whether to exist in a relationship in which you value open communication, or one in which you believe that alpha-ness is shrinking away from being able to take a realistic appraisal of a situation and sharing it with your partner. Alpha as ****, I guess.

But yeah, I agree with your point, and that trophy wives are generally a big trade down.

I guess this is the subforum where all the jokesters on SF get serious? LOL Guys, I was kdding around, especially about the trading up. What I was serious about is that I don't think he should have to have a converstaion about these matters with some woman he's dating. This isn't his "partner", and she' knows he's in grad school, right?! He's supposed to be eating pizza, mexican food, and hunting around for the dollar beers. Even if he had the money it's debatable whether frequent fine dining and bottle service is appropriate for someone in his position. She sounds totally clueless, not worthy of a "heart to heart" on this type of very personal matter. Frankly, the fact that she doesn't seem the least bit sensitive to his issue without his having to say something is probably reason enough to move on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads